BMW Owners... time to speak out!!

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
Doug and I want to know...

Do you like your BMW? if so - what about it makes it "special" to you...

or if not - what do you not like about it?

have you had any good experiences or bad experiences with their service? with the engine, with warrantied items etc???

truth be known - we may be buying a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2002 BMW X5 cuz volvo dealers suck A** and want full MSRP for their XC90's....they don't even resale the same as Benz/BMW!!

figured out we could purchase a 2002 X5 for *LESS* than a new XC90 AWD - and we wouldn't lose the "drive off the lot depreciation"...

too bad - as much as I really want that volvo, i'm not paying MSRP!! maybe i'll get it in another lifetime eh?!
frown.gif

but anyways - we wanna hear the good, bad and ugly from you BMW owners before we go purchase the puppy!!

Thanks!!
grin.gif

Kristie, that's a shame because those Volvo's are SUWEET!!

That being said....

..my friends (being in the legal community, that seems to be the choice of the newly-minted associate or partner, so I know many with Beemers) who have new or fairly new previously-owned Beemers really, really like them. They handle well. They're comfortable. They look very nice.

BUT - whenever it comes time for maintenance, they start sweating it because BMW's are incredibly expensive to mantain (as I'm sure you know already having done your research).

I guess it depends on what kind of warranty you two can get.

(an aside: Is it true that you cannot change the oil in a BMW yourself - that it can only be done by a dealer???? Rumor??)

Anway....

Good luck!! Beemers are sweet, sweet vehicles.

You expect to find many BMW owners on a site populated mostly by students, some underpaid airline pilots, and a bunch of starving flight instructors?!?!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

hehe...just messing with you. Beemers are cool, but I will never own one.
smirk.gif

I'm still impressed/overjoyed I could afford to buy two Hyundais!
grin.gif

One was a brand-new 2002, only-18-miles-on-it, 5-speed Hyunda Elantra GT (leather, power everything etc, etc,) and my car is a 2000 Hyundai Accent (power nothing - it is an automatic though). Total combined payment for both is something like $420/mo. The wife got the nice, new car.

Are you looking at the Volvos ? The one I'd like to have is the new S60R, but I have searched for a used S-80 and I found some decent prices on eBay Motors. I have yet to test drive any of them but man , they look sharp ! But the Beemer 5 and 7 series are nice too ! For now, I'll just stick to my paid for Saturn SC-2
grin.gif

Dan

BMW???????

I reccommend a 1975-1987 Chevy Blazer or Surburban with 6" lift, 36" tires, roof rack, Warn Winch, gun rack, 383 Stroker engine and more.....

[ QUOTE ]
I reccommend a 1975-1987 Chevy Blazer or Surburban with 6" lift, 36" tires, roof rack, Warn Winch, gun rack, 383 Stroker engine and more.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT sounds more like it....AND you could run over all the stupid rice-rockets out there!
cool.gif

Kristie - I'd have to second what R2F said - BMW's are nice cars but VERY expensive to maintain from I've been told. The guy I fly with has a 740-somethingorother - he likes it but does as much of the work as he can himself. He recently took it to a dealer for a brake job and they wanted like $1200 to do it! He bought all brand new premium parts online and did it himself for around $400. I've been told(second hand info) that it's so expensive because BMW's are more difficult to work on than some other vehicles such as Lexus - don't know how true that is.

I don't know what the degree of 'commonality' is between different BMW vehicles but the 740 has several things that I don't really care for - one example is that the battery is underneath the rear seat and is only accessable from inside the car.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the degree of 'commonality' is between different BMW vehicles but the 740 has several things that I don't really care for - one example is that the battery is underneath the rear seat and is only accessable from inside the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend's '87 Audi 5000 S is like that. Confused the hell out of me when I had to jump start his car...

I hate the Dodge Intrepids and Stratus's where you have to take off the driver's front wheel and go through the wheel well to replace the battery.

Alright heres a truth be told, don't ride longer than an hour in a beemer, the seats get really hard, really fast I had to ride hom from san fran to LA area in one and man that hurts after about 30 minutes. My 2 cents.

Kostcoguy

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the Dodge Intrepids and Stratus's where you have to take off the driver's front wheel and go through the wheel well to replace the battery

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about the some of the newer bonnevilles and caddy's that you have to remove the backseat to change or jump the battery. The first time I saw that made me look a few times and think about how dumb that was IMO.

Ummmm......ya'll probably should have taken a look at the owner's manual.
wink.gif
I'm pretty sure that all vehicles with batteries under the seat, etc., have remote mounted charging/jumping posts conviently located under the hood.

Have to second the comment about the hard ride in the BMW - it does get a little rough after a while.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm......ya'll probably should have taken a look at the owner's manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Directions? Who needs directions??
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm......ya'll probably should have taken a look at the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure that all vehicles with batteries under the seat, etc., have remote mounted charging/jumping posts conviently located under the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't my car, I guess I should have said that. I saw the cars in maitenance at a dealership I worked at. They were working on the electrical sytem and they were changing the battery. I just thought it was a weird place to put it, but I guess it needs to go somewhere when there is no room under the hood.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm......ya'll probably should have taken a look at the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure that all vehicles with batteries under the seat, etc., have remote mounted charging/jumping posts conviently located under the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't my car, I guess I should have said that. I saw the cars in maitenance at a dealership I worked at. They were working on the electrical sytem and they were changing the battery. I just thought it was a weird place to put it, but I guess it needs to go somewhere when there is no room under the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here; I install batteries and tires. Not always a matter of reading the manual, because I know what has to be done; but it can be a real pain in the neck when you have to take half the engine out just to get at the battery.

Now this is gonna sound weird here being a CFI but I've owned a 97 328 convertible (back when I was making decent money) and currently own a 2002 BMW 325Ci (coupe). My brother has a 2003 G500 and a 2003 CL55 and a S600(he's smart.....got out of aviation early). My dad's owned a Volvo a couple of times as well and now has gone bonkers and drives a Jag.

Now......having driven these cars...heres my opinion.

I like my car. If I had an extra 5K sitting around and it wasn't a big deal of cash to me I would have opted for the 330Ci. The 325's power is slightly missing. BMW is a sportier ride than Mercedes. When I'm in my brothers cars I feel like I"m on a cloud. In my car I feel the road. But I do have the sport package on my car with the 17" wheels.
His G500 is like a SL 500 but 4 wheel drive. Its awesome. The CL55......can't say anything more than......Hold on to dear life.
If your going for the X5, I would highly recommend going for the 4.4Liter. If power is not a big issue then go for the 3.0 Theres big price difference. And theres no way in hell I would pay MSRP for sticker either. NO WAY!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
BMW???????

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't forget the bald tires for off-roading, the monthly water pump, and optional 55 gallon tank...
laugh.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I loved that truck!

My mom and dad both have BMW's, and I have driven both; My dad a 2002 525i, and my mom 2001ish 530. I personally would not own one of these cars unless it was the 7 series they are small and hard on tall people. I broke the power steering and electric seats on my dad's over christmas break trying to get in and out of them. However, in high school.I worked for Chaison BMW in Las Vegas (now Desert BMW), and I got to drive the 740.......AWESOME CAR! BMW's as a whole have decent power if you put your foot in the gas tank it will accelerate fast and they ride smoothe. If I had the money of you and Mr. "Moneybags" Taylor I'd probably get a nice Tahoe........same price range but a little more truck......my 2 cents

We have a 2000 Z3 and we love it! Its a blast to drive.
Now that I have owned a BMW I would by another.
The fit and finish is first rate and the service is great as well.
I haven't found the maintenance to be any more than on other cars.
We bought ours used and it still had miles left on the 36K miles of prepaid maintenance the original owner purchased. I had taken it to a dealer to find out some thngs about it and they printed out the vehicle history for me, said drive it around until about 35,500 and bring it in. I did and they fixed every little thing right down to a sqweek no questions asked and it didn't cost a penny. They even gave me a ride home and came back and got me when it was ready.

I used to think a car was a car then my wife bought an X5. Holy moley what a sweet car!

This is what I'd like once that beast is paid off:

ga_0337_p_side.jpg

BMW M3

Ahhh yes. A boy can dream, can't he?
smile.gif

And Kristie reminded me about these...

veh_gal_g35c_1.jpg

But if I could find a 1995 with NO MILES on it, I'd like one of these:

c430064a.jpg

I guess I'm going to be a 45 year-old with hair plugs, eh?
smile.gif

Back