BMW Owners... time to speak out!!

I test drove the 3 series when I first got a proper job - and it was a really nice car. However I concluded I would rather drive something like a Ford Focus on an everyday basis and spend some money on something like this for weekend fun.

UFF341front.JPG

I reccommend a late 70s/early 80s Chevy Surburban or Blazer, personally.

[ QUOTE ]
I broke the power steering and electric seats on my dad's over christmas break trying to get in and out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mydad would be soooo pissed if I broke something that, he got pissed when I scraped a little bit of the paint of his glove compartment of a 1989 Astro Van (worst car I have ever driven and ever will drive). I wonder whathe would do if I broke something like that in his car...Holy Crap he'd be pissed!

I'm with you Doug! BMW M3's rock.........also my dream car! Except mine would be in the phoenix yellow with 19' rims.
cool.gif
I WANT ONE!!!!!
frown.gif
Too bad I'm only 16!!!!
crazy.gif
LOL!!!

Everyone has dreams.........
smirk.gif

I drove my Dad's 1973 Porsche 911T a few times when he was teaching me how to drive a stick (I thought he was crazy for me to learn on that car). Now THAT is a vehicle right there. One day I'll own one....but for now I'm still stuck with that mini-van thing.

Cheers

John Herreshof

[ QUOTE ]
I drove my Dad's 1973 Porsche 911T a few times when he was teaching me how to drive a stick

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my captains offered to sell me his 2000 911 convertible (not the twin turbo) for about $40K, but when I looked at the insurance rates during the layover, I about fell over in my chair!

No use getting a "Smokin' Deal" on a Porsche and then turning right around and selling it because of my insurance premiums.

Hey Doug, I am with you on the RX-7. that car is sweet! i almost bought that, but got smart and bought my gs-r. You can really run into a lot of problems with the rotary engine. I would get a used NSX. it turns heads, and its a blast to drive. My friend has the M3. I can explain it in 2 words....F'n nice!!

But i hear BMW's start to have problems after while. They are said that the owner can expect the best 3 years an owner can have with a car, but after the first 3 years sell it. because its problems and its expensive as hell to fix. My friends family decided against BMW, and bought a Lexus, mainly because of maintainence. Its easier to repair a Toyota than it is a BMW.

Have you looked at the Acura MDX? or the new lexus RX 330?

-brian

Yesterday I drove my boss' 7 Series - that car is sweet. I felt like a pimp in it!!!

I also drove an RTS-4 (or whatever the new chrystler is) it was a chrystler marketing car tricked out with everything: lowered, phat rims, body kit, exhuast, sound system, turbo, value release, racing seats, costum paint etc. It was packing about 300 hp, and would haul ass!! I even impressed a couple high school girls!!! It was a really fun car!!

One of my captains offered to sell me his 2000 911 convertible (not the twin turbo) for about $40K, but when I looked at the insurance rates during the layover, I about fell over in my chair!

No use getting a "Smokin' Deal" on a Porsche and then turning right around and selling it because of my insurance premiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. A major airline trusts you with the operation of several multimillion dollar aircraft, but an insurance company won't trust you with a $40k used car??? Somehow I don't imagine you would be the sterotypical teenage driver. I see a little injustice here if you ask me. I got a really good rate through Liberty Mutual on my car(s). They cover my 99 jeep my 89 sundance my house (with $100k insurance policy required for my dog) for 140$ a month.

[ QUOTE ]

truth be known - we may be buying a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2002 BMW X5 cuz volvo dealers suck A** and want full MSRP for their XC90's....they don't even resale the same as Benz/BMW!!

figured out we could purchase a 2002 X5 for *LESS* than a new XC90 AWD - and we wouldn't lose the "drive off the lot depreciation"...

too bad - as much as I really want that volvo, i'm not paying MSRP!! maybe i'll get it in another lifetime eh?!
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a satisfied owner of a 1993 Volvo 850, its been in the family ever since we owned it and it drives just as good as it did 10 years ago. Volvos are quality automobiles, lets hope the new influence Ford has on Volvo (Ford owns Volvo now) doesn't hurt Volvo quality.
laugh.gif

On another note, the reason why XC90's hardly ever sell below MSRP is because they are such a hit and are in big demand. The XC90 won a bunch of awards and supposedly is a really good SUV. I guess its just a simple matter of supply and demand.

European cars are nicer but more expensive in almost all areas, well you get what you pay for, Japanese cars are best in the relabilty area but are often still more expensive to repair than a domestic car.

Give me some old Detroit steel they don't build cars like that anymore they will last forever compaired to today's desposable cars.

On the insurance issue I know why rego is so cheap here cause the insurance is mega expensive, in Australia the rego for my Datsun was $500-600 but 3rd party fire & theft insurace was only $180. Hell, here I asked for an insurance quote for 3rd party only on a 82 Toyota Corolla and it was like $1200 pa, holy crap! I think I'll definatly be getting a bicycle when I get to FSA.

[ QUOTE ]

Give me some old Detroit steel they don't build cars like that anymore they will last forever compaired to today's desposable cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats probably because detroit steel is more like beijing steel, or Mexico steel these days.
Either way, I would take a honda over detroit steel anyday. The reliability of toyota and honda are untouchable.

-Brian

Since I have to give up my current car to the 'rents so they can trade it in for a second (they are both retired as of Jan 1st), looks like I'm getting one of these in the next few days:

fwdv6-gallery1-big.jpg

awd4-gallery3-big.jpg

Can't wait, it really is an awesome SUV, and not too expensive. Plus, insurance is low, which is a definite plus!

Tell the truth Szluka! You're going to pull out the back seat and but a monsterous subwoofer box, aren't ya?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tell the truth Szluka! You're going to pull out the back seat and but a monsterous subwoofer box, aren't ya?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah... I'm gonna pull 'em out, put down a mattress, and top it off with some shag carpet.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nah... I'm gonna pull 'em out, put down a mattress, and top it off with some shag carpet.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only imagine!
smile.gif

Sheesh, now I'm living vicariously through new hire regional FO's!

Back