Blue Angels in IMAX

Carter Administration put a halt to technology transfer in the form of front-line fighters and weapons systems. Carter also was limiting funding for military assistance.

Northrop sought to fill the niche with the F-20. Reagan reversed the technology transfer restrictions, approving sale of front-line fighters with generous military assistance.

Interest in the F-20 immediately waned.

Thanks! I knew it was something along those lines but that's a very succinct explanation.

Carter Administration put a halt to technology transfer in the form of front-line fighters and weapons systems. Carter also was limiting funding for military assistance.

Northrop sought to fill the niche with the F-20. Reagan reversed the technology transfer restrictions, approving sale of front-line fighters with generous military assistance.

Interest in the F-20 immediately waned.

When the F-4G Wild Weasel SEAD version of the Phantom was being converted from the F-4E to replace the F-105G Thud weasels, the Shah of Iran petitioned the Carter administration to be able to get these G models also, as we had been selling Iran D and E models already. The Shah wanted them in order to counter Iraq or Soviet IADS, should that capability be needed. This was considered, but eventually turned down, due to the (at the time) higly classified CAPES these G models had. As a concession, the Carter administration sold AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-78 Standard ARM anti-radar missiles to be carried by the F-4Es, as a poor-man’s SEAD platform. As it would turn out, this was a fortuitous decision.

Of course, seeing how innovative the Iranians have been in keeping aircraft such as the F-4 and F-14 in service and evn upgraded, as well as zero-timing weaponry such as the AIM-7E-2 Sparrow, AIM-9J Sidewinder, AIM-54 Phoenix, and even AGM-45s and 78s; we should have probably just sold them the remaining F-105G Thud Weasels in service at George AFB instead of transferring those to the Georgia Air National Guard. Because chances are, those Thuds would’ve seen a second service of combat in the Iran-Iraq war, and would probably still be in service today :)

Had the pleasure of flying with 3 former Blues during my time at UPS. One of my favs was Scott “Snooze” Anderson on both the A300 and MD11. Could not have asked for a better f/o to fly with. He’s shown in the video below in the mid 90’s “Dreams” video as the #4 Slot pilot when filming the first IMAX movie. Such a cool, humble and hilariously funny guy along with a big genuine smile and always a warm “Hello”. I discovered each one was just an ordinary down to Earth guy who accomplished extraordinary things in aviation.

Scott always had great stories about his time on the team. You initially had to drag it out of him but when he got started you were gonna be entertained for hours. I jokingly told him, on one of our first flights together, that we no longer do dirty rolls after takeoff and getting close to other airplanes in the air was no longer a good thing! He said he try to keep that in mind but couldn’t promise anything!:D

View: https://youtu.be/k0keN_yCSss?si=P1hWJ7MP3oTJwO2I

It's p;retty cool knowing three of those guys in the film.

Super humble.

Hah, I know both those guys in the frame they chose here (Cheese and Whiskers). Both were JO's in my last airwing, one in my squadron. Which ones do you know?

Hah, I know both those guys in the frame they chose here (Cheese and Whiskers). Both were JO's in my last airwing, one in my squadron. Which ones do you know?

Remember the NW US "Growler" squadron that drew the phallus? My next door neighbor's son has stories. :) He's at Merkin now.

IMG_2718.jpeg

Fun fact:

The original A-4 version of that video was because the record company wouldn't spring for a music video. Van Halen wanted a music video but since the record company wouldn't give them any money.

Since the Blue Angles practice and show videos are public domain media, they just requested copies and edited the clips to music.

The Navy didn't even know about it until it showed up on MTV. Of course it was a hit and great PR for the Navy so nobody really complained.

Since the Blue Angles practice and show videos are public domain media, they just requested copies and edited the clips to music.

The government can have intellectual property that’s not in the public domain.

It has tens of thousands of patents and many trademarks.

It’s obvious that the government picks and chooses what IP to protect.

The Blues have a licensing office but don’t appear to be that concerned about most uses of their image. I’m curious if a record label would be challenged today.

It’s possible that the Navy is only concerned when somebody wants the status of being officially licensed.

An attorney friend of mine explained it to me, I should have taken notes. I had asked him about the licensing of the Citizen Blue Angels watch. He didn’t know anything about the watch deal but gave me a primer on government IP.

The government can have intellectual property that’s not in the public domain.

It has tens of thousands of patents and many trademarks.

It’s obvious that the government picks and chooses what IP to protect.

The Blues have a licensing office but don’t appear to be that concerned about most uses of their image. I’m curious if a record label would be challenged today.

It’s possible that the Navy is only concerned when somebody wants the status of being officially licensed.

An attorney friend of mine explained it to me, I should have taken notes. I had asked him about the licensing of the Citizen Blue Angels watch. He didn’t know anything about the watch deal but gave me a primer on government IP.

Back