Blood pressure

dasleben

That's just, like, your opinion, man
Dr. Forred,

I went and saw my GP this afternoon for an unrelated reason, but while I was there it was found that my blood pressure was rather high. I've always had somewhat high blood pressure (especially at the doctor's office), but generally after a few minutes of relaxing they're able to get a more accurate reading. Today, however, I could barely get it below 150/80 (highest seen at the office was 155/80). Suffice to say, he wants to see me back in 6 months for a follow-up. I know that's passable for the FAA, but in terms of general health I'd like that to come down as well.

After reading several older threads in this forum, I'm at least somewhat relieved that it's a fairly common condition and not a huge issue in terms of medical certification. However, my next physical is due in May of next year, and my GP wants to see me in April. If for some reason my GP puts me on BP meds, how would I go about getting back to work? After self-grounding and getting the required documentation from my doctor, would I simply take the paperwork to my AME and have him re-issue me a new medical certificate? I understand there's a two-week waiting period to make sure you handle the medications as well; is that accurate? Just curious how long I might expect to be out of work if that happens, and I tolerate the medication without a problem.

Thank you!

P.S.: I'm a bit at a loss about this. I'm 26 years old, 6'0, 190 lbs, work out avidly (resting heart rate in the low-mid 50s per minute), and eat well. I don't smoke and drink very rarely. My GP says it's probably hereditary, but talk about frustrating... :banghead:

This is what you need to take to the AME for the next physical. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...e/dec_cons/disease_prot/hypertension/initial/
The report must be typed!!!

AME's can issue medicals with hypertension but must forard all of the documentation to the FAA.

Thank you very much for the information.

If I were to start on the medication before my next flight physical, am I required to stop flying until the AME approves its use, or is it something I'd have to report (and have paperwork for) the next time my medical is due?

Thank you very much for the information.

If I were to start on the medication before my next flight physical, am I required to stop flying until the AME approves its use, or is it something I'd have to report (and have paperwork for) the next time my medical is due?

You need to get a list of approved BP medications and tell the doc what ever RX he gives you it must be on the list. http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/medical/druglist.cfm

Ask your AME for a sample letter of what he wants from the MD. I changed AME's and found they all want something different.

Not sure about the self grounding rule... Never dawned on me?

You are supposed to self ground for 2 weeks until you are sure there are no side effects from the medications.

You can use any of the current blood pressure medications except Aldomet, reserpine or guanethidine.

Have you thought about other ways besides medication?? There is a TON of literature out there. Besides diet and working out you can try taking herbal supplements as well... ie garlic vit E to name some. I have always had a higher BP when in the docs office. I bought an at home BP reader to monitor my BP and have adjusted my diet to primarily medditerian/asian diet.

I have always had a higher BP when in the docs office.

Me too. When the cuff comes out I can feel my heart start pounding in my chest. Using my home unit I did learn to relax and how quickly my BP goes down.

Then I get the nurse who holds my arm between her arm and breast while she takes my BP. Not sure if that helps or hurts?

LMAO! yea i don't think nurse amy with her breast hanging all over me would help me with my BP...maybe she could help me out other ways:D
Seriously those nurses don't really let you sit down for 5min to relax. You are supposed to take a BP reading like this:

1. wait at least 5-10min resting in a chair
2. feet flat on the floor
3. arm at heart level
4. no talking or moving
5. make sure you dont have to take a major piss/dump ( that can raise your BP)
6. And make sure the nurses tatas aren't distracting you;)

You are supposed to self ground for 2 weeks until you are sure there are no side effects from the medications.

You can use any of the current blood pressure medications except Aldomet, reserpine or guanethidine.

Thank you!

Have you thought about other ways besides medication?? There is a TON of literature out there. Besides diet and working out you can try taking herbal supplements as well... ie garlic vit E to name some. I have always had a higher BP when in the docs office. I bought an at home BP reader to monitor my BP and have adjusted my diet to primarily medditerian/asian diet.

Thanks, I just started looking into some of that. It looks like there have been several studies using Coenzyme Q10 supplements that have shown some pretty promising results. Just picked some up today and started on a daily regimen.

Thank you!

Thanks, I just started looking into some of that. It looks like there have been several studies using Coenzyme Q10 supplements that have shown some pretty promising results. Just picked some up today and started on a daily regimen.

Interesting! Did you order the CoQ10 online or did you go into a store? How many mgs?

Thank you!

Coq10 is a great supplement. In addition, you should think about taking fish oil 2-3 times a day. Look for one with a high Omega-3 value, DHA/EPA values are what's important in fish oil.

Interesting! Did you order the CoQ10 online or did you go into a store? How many mgs?

I just went out to the local supermarket and picked some up. There were plenty of choices, but I ended up buying the 200mg dosage. The reason behind that was a study done with CoQ10 showed a mean systolic pressure drop of around 18mm Hg in a group taking 60mg twice per day over 3 months.

By the way, since I've been on a CoQ10 regimen I've felt much stronger while running. Endurance is through the roof. Could be a placebo effect, but I ran a 10k the other day for the first time and felt strong all the way through. First time I've run that long without stopping. Surprised the heck out of myself, because the week prior I'd been feeling pretty tapped out after just a 5k run.

Coq10 is a great supplement. In addition, you should think about taking fish oil 2-3 times a day. Look for one with a high Omega-3 value, DHA/EPA values are what's important in fish oil.

I'll check that out, thanks. I'm also going to check out garlic supplements. Doing some research on that, it appears that garlic has been shown to reduce blood pressure as well.

Just a quick follow-up to this thread in case anyone else is searching for information about it:

3.5 months after beginning a daily CoQ10 and fish oil regimen (200mg and 2100mg each day, respectively), my BP using my home monitor has dropped from approximately 145-150/85 to 130-135/75 (highest I tend to see now if I'm a little nervous about the result is 140/80). I've kept a weekly log using the same monitor for each check, and the readings have really dropped dramatically; my latest readings are even in the 120s/70s when I get myself fully relaxed. My exercise and diet habits have remained basically the same (I exercise regularly and eat well). Certainly nothing more than anecdotal evidence, but it's in line with the recent CoQ10 study that showed significant BP drops as well.

Back