Bitter captain

Start pulling random circuit breakers when he is not looking.

That will put an end to his bitterness.

My .02 worth is for you to just be yourself..Engage in the conversation let him make his points, then make yours. If it gets to the point where an argument ensues, just end the conversation...You as an FO dont have to cave into the beliefs of the captain. Ultimetly, as long as you fly the way you are supposed to do, what can he do to you..There is no way he can bang you for anything when it comes to your beliefs vs. his...This comes from someone in their mid 30's...Maybe I see things differently then someone who is in their 20's, but life isnt always about compromises and no one can fault you for standing your ground.On the other hand, if you really dont want to engage in the conversation with him, just say so. Just say something like, look a lot of people have different views about this/that, which is why I dont engage in these discussions... pretty much common sense, but please dont be fearful of anyoe who sits left seat, simply cause they call him captain...

You're going to get more of those guys, especially in the Regionals when the furloughees start showing up. ESPECIALLY if you work for an outfit that hires street Captains.

Look, no one is forcing him to fly for a living. You might want to point that out.

Regale him with some of the latest company gossip. If you don't know any yourself---make something up! :p :D

:sarcasm:

Re: Good Idea

I had a captain talk to me about Thailand once. He's been there 21 times. He drew a map for me to keep on how to get to a place called Pattaya. He goes mainly for the

Oh wait this isn't the lav. :p The beaches.

This post is proof that what you wrote is sure to work. See how fast you inadvertently almost de-railed this thread after merely mentioning the keywords you suggested?! :)

My captain too, "so in pattaya..." then it was like ...almost more awkward to listen than before, but hey, different convo.

Re: Good Idea

So-called "men" who need to go to foreign countries to screw teenaged girls (or boys, for that matter) are pathetic. Apparently, they stopped maturing at about 17 years old. Scary to think a reprobate like that walks among us, especially in a highly skilled field like aviation. Bleccch. :mad: :rolleyes:

I'll skip the details but essentially it goes down like this -

Chatting it up like usual with a new captain, for a new trip. He starts going on about how much he hates the aviation industry and how management over the years has screwed him etc. etc.

Nonetheless I have to deal with this guy some how, and to make things worse this isn't exactly a short trip. I have the privilege of hearing his lectures day & night and if it keeps going like this I know I'm going to have to say something to keep my sanity.

Advice on how to respond to a pissed off captain?

***Let's not turn this into a "why the aviation industry sucks" thread***

Slide your seat back.
Cross your legs under you. Start chanting with your intercom mic off.
"Om mani padme hum.... Om mani padme hum.."

When he asks what the hell you're doing.. tell him his negativity is dampening your aura and you're realigning your chakras. Tell him he really, really, REALLY, doesn't want you to have unaligned chakras.

Or something of the like

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...... " :rolleyes:

Some good advice on here so far. Changing the subject can be effective if you know what the captain is in to. If it's anything sexual in nature, I'd probably rather listen to him rant about the industry, but that's just me, I guess. Why are there so many creepy regional captains out there?

I suggest telling Captain Whiney-pants what you actually think. Whenever my captains started going on and on about how terrible the industry and our company was, I'd calmly tell them that I agree times are rough, but it certainly beats my two years selling lawn-mowers at Sears on furlough. Remind them that there are many options out there from Foreign airlines to flight instructing and the regional airline lifestyle is definitely not for everyone. If you like your job, tell them why.

I'd always ask these captains where they were applying and there response was, typically: no one's hiring. Well, even at that time that was never true. With times as tough as they are right now Netjets, Southwest, Allegiant, and a boatload of foreign carriers are hiring. Odds are good this captain doesn't even have an updated logbook.

Generally these captains know what their options are but prefer their current job even though it doesn't measure up to their expectations. Usually, when presented with their options these guys will either begrudgingly admit that their gig isn't quite so bad, or admit that they should be doing something else. I straight up tell those guys, "Life's too short to do a job you hate. It sounds like you need to find something new." You'd be surprised how quickly honesty and a little perspective could deflate one of these guys. Most often a hyper-inflated ego is at the center of these rampages; How dare the world give me such a bum deal?! Do you know who I am!!?

Slide your seat back.
Cross your legs under you. Start chanting with your intercom mic off.
"Om mani padme hum.... Om mani padme hum.."

When he asks what the hell you're doing.. tell him his negativity is dampening your aura and you're realigning your chakras. Tell him he really, really, REALLY, doesn't want you to have unaligned chakras.

Or something of the like

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...... " :rolleyes:

lmao :rotfl:

BTW - i don't work for the regionals, that's about all i can say to keep confidentiality.

Pretend to be hard of hearing. Crank up the radio volume on your headset and ask him to repeat everything he says. Talk very loudly.

(joking, of course)

... a throwback to my military days.

Ask him if the APU is still on (if it's not..) or if it sounds funny (if it is)...

When he asks why, tell him you "hear a strange, disturbing whining sound.." and you should write it up...

:rolleyes:

I flew with a captain like that once...in fact Oldtownpilot had the pleasure of consuming a few adult beverages with him and I on an onvernight. All he did was complain about how he wasn't making enough money, the company was screwing him over, and then he would start talking about his new flat screen tv and playstation 3. I tried making the point "well at least you're not on first year pay anymore" and then it became story time how when he was on first year pay it was $19/hr instead of 23...that was a long trip.

Really the best thing you can do is just sorta mentally remove yourself from the situation. What I've found about most captains is they aren't really talking to you, they're talking to themselves, you just happen to be sharing the same intercom. Focus more on the airplane he's not flying or the radio calls he's not answering. Your job isn't to keep them entertained, its to make sure the flight gets taken care of safely.

Well, just be professional. You are there to do your job. Yes, I observe "sterile cockpit below 10000 feet." ;)

Back