Bird-Flipping AA Pilot Fined $13K

Ouch! That’s bit steep. 13K for flippin the bird. I wonder what they’d jack a guy up for assaulting a government official, because my next stop after paying the fine would be kicking someone’s A$$
smirk.gif

so i'm assuming that's brazilian money in which case it's probably less than a dollar (conversion rate) right now.. so it might not be that much in US dollars...

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch! That’s bit steep. 13K for flippin the bird. I wonder what they’d jack a guy up for assaulting a government official, because my next stop after paying the fine would be kicking someone’s A$$
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think for 13g they give you one free punch.

If the fine is calculated in Brazilian Reais (Reais being Portugese for "our moneys worthless") it would come out to $4596.57 USD

If the fine is 36,000 Reais, it would then equal about $13,000 USD

Either way it's not chump change.

Yes, I'm sure we'd admire that American spirit if someone decided to flip us the bird when they were photographed and fingerprinted upon entering the US.

After all, we gotta keep those Brazilian terrorists from attacking us!

And why would we want to piss of Brazilians? Have you seen how smoking hot their women are?

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm sure we'd admire that American spirit if someone decided to flip us the bird when they were photographed and fingerprinted upon entering the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is idiotic to have fined that guy for flipping the bird. The difference is in the United States we have freedom of speech.

Now, I know that the TSA are idiots and they probably would have tried to arrest someone for the same thing. But, it never would have held up in court.

The United States is far from perfect, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

In a somewhat related vein, I think it was Churchill who said that democracy isn't perfect, but it is the best system on the block. (a bit of paraphrasing there
wink.gif
)

Look, the bottom line is that he shouldn't have flipped them the bird. Period. Especially since they are only doing to us Americans what we are doing to their citizens.

Don't like it? Too bad. It's their country, and you gotta play by their rules.

I'll trade you that picture for a picture of some of the Brazilian hotties on their beaches.

grin.gif

I've got to agree with Tony on this one. While I think the Brazilians' requirement is punitive, we have to follow their rules in their country. We expect visitors to our country to follow OUR laws, and we owe the same courtesy when we as Americans visit other countries. If you can't do that, then don't go to that country. Simple enough.

FL270

P.S.: Tony is also right that Brazilian women are HOT. We almost flew our King Air to Brazil for three months ... ahh, to be hanging out on the beach at Ipanema.
cool.gif

I would have to guess American Airlines paid it. Pilots are often targets of crap laws, with big fines, knowing that major airlines will happily pay to get them back home.

Go to Disney in July. Half of Brazil is normally there in giant, obnoxious tourist groups. The girls are pretty hot, but when you find out most of them are also like 12 or 13, it chages things a bit.
smile.gif

Seriously though, if someone flipped TSA the bird they would wind up in Guantanemo or some gulag awaiting sentencing.....

As I see it, the pilot is just holding his number card in a unusual manner. I suppose it could be interpeted as a bird (and was).
As for Brazil, they are just being vindictive and they have absolutely no right to direct this at Americans. As I recall America forgave a huge chunk of change in debt to Brazil and persuaded several other countries to do the same a few years back when Brazil's economy was on the verge of collapse. This gives a new meaning to Brazil Nuts.

tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As for Brazil, they are just being vindictive and they have absolutely no right to direct this at Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, seeing how we are doing exactly the same thing to them....

Tony, please. Give it a rest. NO one should be fined $31,000 for holding up a piece of paper with his middle finger outside it.

It's completely asinine and I'm sure AA had their fingers in it all the way. I can guarantee you that the sky nazis did NOTHING to defend their pilot.

Back