Best/Worst Plane movies

Just watched the Memphis Belle the other night. That is a good one.
The Right Stuff is good too. Most of that is based on what really happened in the Mercury program and w/Yeager. That is why it is so interesting to me. The book is also a decent read.

I grew up on Top Gun. Though I have to admit the ground scenes have not aged well.
Snakes on a Plane was crap.
I can't bring myself to watch "Flyboys."

I agree with Cptnchia... and so, apparently, did Abrahams/Zucker/Zucker. The High and the Mighty is what made Airplane! so funny.

[yt]LHVOAl3jSRc[/yt]

Watch "The High and the Mighty," and then watch "Airplane" right after it. It's a great way to spend an evening. Popcorn and adult beverage recommended.

I was 9 years old when Top Gun came out so heck yeah it was my favorite movie. Is it the best, no, but it solidified my interest in aviation.

I always remember the Langoliers, not because of the movie itself though. On 9/11 I was one of the last people out of the airport in CLE when it was evacuated. A bunch of us had stayed in case the company needed us to taxi airplanes around to make room for the diversions. I remember walking through the terminal on the way out and it reminded me of that movie when people just disappeared. There was food still on the tables, the occassional cell phone or other items on chairs etc. It was so eerie to see the terminal so empty on a Tuesday morning. Anyway, sorry for dragging down the mood but that movie will always be tied to that day for me.

I'd liked the langoliers, but the monsters in the movie were just stupid.

It was a good movie until you found out the killer was Pac Man.

I would have to say in no particular order...

Airplane!
Airport
Airport 1975
Skyjacked
The High and the Mighty
Flight of the Intruder
Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

I forgot.. for good crew coordination and incredibly good humor, Dr. Strangelove.

And for those going to JC '08, straight from that movie:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top><DD>Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.</DD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Maj. T.J. "King" Kong:

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top"><dd>Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegaswith all that stuff.</dd></td></tr></tbody></table>

Maj. T.J. "King" Kong:

The movie came out shortly after JFK was killed and the original line and what Kong says is "good time in Dallas". You can watch and see the words and the dub.

Sellars was originally scheduled to play that role but broke his leg and thus Slim got the job. The USAF did not cooperate and when the movie came out the USAF was all upset about how the movie crew had gotten all their information.

But watch Kong.. when things go bad, he backs the crew up, he gives the airplane to the F/O and he goes back to solve the problem. He reminds the crew to focus on the tasks at hand. All in all, a very good CRM demonstration LONG before United flamed out in Oregon and provided the trigger for CRM.

The single, worst, bar-none dumbest aviation movie of all time.

2005's "Crash Landing" with Antonio Sabato, Jr.

I netflixed it a few months back.. believe I posted a thread, too.

Dumb, dumb, DUMB!

Best:
The high and the mighty

Worst:
I saw soul plane in Russian when I was in Ukraine, that was pretttttyyyyyy ####ing terrible.

Top gun is great if only for all the one liners. The look of confusion on a students face when you tell them "your ego's writing checks your body cant cash" or "thats a hell of a big risk to take with a 30 million dollar airplane" is priceless.

The Best
The Right Stuff
Flight of the Intruder (Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history)
Memphis Belle
Airplane
Tora Tora Tora
Midway (Chuck Heston....You're being paid to fly fighter planes, not sit in your bunk and cry over your girl's picture! You better shape up, Tiger, or some hotshot Jap pilot's gonna flame your butt! )

Worst
Top Gun (Or maybe just the gayest for that Volleyball scene)
Die Hard II

The single, worst, bar-none dumbest aviation movie of all time.

2005's "Crash Landing" with Antonio Sabato, Jr.

I netflixed it a few months back.. believe I posted a thread, too.

Dumb, dumb, DUMB!

I Netflixed that one too. It was BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the worst aviation movie ever made.

Ok Ill chime in this one.....

Top 3

1. Tuskeegee Airmen
2. Airplane
3. Passenger 57......(Yes I said it! Wesley Snipes is too cool in that)

3 Worst

1. Air force one
2. Executive Decision
3. Stealth

The Best
The Right Stuff
Flight of the Intruder (Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history)
Memphis Belle
Airplane
Tora Tora Tora
Midway (Chuck Heston....You're being paid to fly fighter planes, not sit in your bunk and cry over your girl's picture! You better shape up, Tiger, or some hotshot Jap pilot's gonna flame your butt! )

Worst
Top Gun (Or maybe just the gayest for that Volleyball scene)
Die Hard II

You're an old Navy guy - is it a requirment that all Navy pilots participate in homoerotic beach volleyball tournaments or is that just for the fighter guys?

Back