Best/Worst Plane movies

Glad someone mentioned "The Right Stuff". Likely to be the longest movie I've ever seen but it was worth it.

Amongst other movies that I enjoy that were already mentioned above, Tuskeege Airmen is right up there in my list of favorites. I'm not black but it was still very inspiring.

Worst aviation-related movie can easily be said to be "Stealth".

, Tuskeege Airmen is right up there in my list of favorites. I'm not black but it was still very inspiring.

I read somewhere that George Lucas and Possibly Stephen Spielberg were going to make a Tuskeege airmen movie Titled "Red Tails" or something like that

, Tuskeege Airmen is right up there in my list of favorites. I'm not black but it was still very inspiring.

I read somewhere that George Lucas and Possibly Stephen Spielberg were going to make a Tuskeege airmen movie Titled "Red Tails" or something like that

It would be very hard to top the HBO production. Excellent movie.

One thing I do hate is that there is an overabundance of animation and special fx in flying movies lately (the Pearl Harbor movie and Flyboys). I want to see real airplanes, flown by real stunt pilots. The flying scenes in Tora Tora Tora were awesome.

You know I liked it too. I saw it when I was much younger and it got me interested in their history. I saw an interview with several of the more famous pilots of the group who said that they were consultants for the HBO production. They said that all main characters except for Ben O Davis were fictional and were an amalgam of actual characters. I just never understood why they would go with a fictionalized account instead of the actual events and people.

2. The movie was so bad I don't even know the name but it was about air traffic controllers, no not Pushing Tin, probably the only other movie made about the subject. It was so painful to watch even as the late late movie.

Was it called Ground Control?

Was it called Ground Control?

Yes! Thank you Stinger! Jack Bauer doesn't wear sweater vests! I forgot all the other famous faces, The Fonz, MacGuvyer's friend, the dad from Family Ties and a bunch of others, lol. Go and watch the trailer at imdb.:laff:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137799/

I laughed hardest when the female controller tells the airliner to make a right 360 for spacing. The pilot responds by saying it will cost $3000 for a 360 so she says gives me $6000. The reason why it's so funny is because there was a similar quote in the most funneist things heard over the air theard which leaves me to question if that post was completely true.:)

Hi all,

My picks, in no order:

Always - Holly Hunter could sit on a barstool reading the phone book, and I'd be ok with it.

Airport - Reasonably accurate and a quaint look at airline flying in the late 60's.

Spirit of St. Louis - Although a bit old for the role, Jimmy Stuart pulled if off. Great movie.

Tuskeegee Airmen - Lawrence Fishburn...he's the man.

Honorable mention:

Memphis Belle - Great scenes, but historically inaccurate. Kinda ruins it. 12 O'clock High is a MUCH better bomber movie. Gregory Peck could burn Chuck Norris to ash just by his stare.

Best

Tuskeegee Airmen
Firefox
Airplane
Memphis Belle
Hot Shots

Worst

Iron Eagle (all of them)
Soul Plane
Airplane 2
Airport 74

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, with the exception of "The Hunters" with Robert Mitchum and a young Robert Wagner. It's a story about F-86 pilots during the Korean war and has some great F-86 footage. It's also got a cheesy love triangle subplot, but if you're a Sabre fan :nana2: that's easily forgiven. Besides, Mitchum was always cool.

What!?? The Aviator should be number 1! Also what about the Turbulence series?

that was the worst 3 hours i ever spent, you kidding me?

1. airplane
2. top gun
3. hot shots
4. memphis belle

1. the langoliers
2. flyboys
3. iron eagle
4. flightplan

Here's some more obscure ones ...

Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232 - sorry, Charlton Heston used the same character he used in Ben Hur to portray Al Haynes. It was a bit over the top - in need of a remake for sure, though

Final Descent: (Robert Urich) Collision with a small plane leaves the elevators jammed in the up position - their solution ... feed water from a tanker into the aircraft, and then into the nose wheel compartment to increase forward CG. They release the water right before landing. Corny as balls.

:drool: Geez, don't you guys know anything about the classics? Zap got close but missed one.

The pantheon of aviation movies:

The High and the Mighty
Fate Is The Hunter (Glen Ford)
Airplane
The Great Waldo Pepper
Always
Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines

I agree with Cptnchia... and so, apparently, did Abrahams/Zucker/Zucker. The High and the Mighty is what made Airplane! so funny.

[YT]LHVOAl3jSRc[/YT]

Back