Being Considered for Part 135 "Aircraft Dispatcher" job

newdispatcher23

Hello all,

As the title says, I am a recently certified dispatcher on the west coast who has been applying and looking for jobs. I am being considered for a "Dispatcher" role at a Part 135 company. The pay is good, the location good, and overall the company seems good. A bit of background about me . . . I am new to the field of aviation. I have strong experience in my previous field and a strong resume. I have been applying to all Part 121 flight operation jobs (mostly regionals as recommended by these forums) I have seen the last few months but no success; not even an interview. I do not have the luxury of waiting around and hoping for a Part 121 to hire me. I understand that if I get the job I will not be doing the work a dispatcher at a Part 121 does (I've read other similar posts on this forum and the company was very clear in explaining what my responsibilities would be). Are there cons to working at a Part 135 as my first job and then continuing to apply with hopes of transferring to a 121 operation?

Finally, I'd like to thank ya'll as this forum has helped me discover dispatching.

When I first got into dispatch, I went through a complete career change as an adult and living off regional pay would have been difficult. I started my dispatch career w/ a small international 121 supplemental airline (similar to a 135) about a month after I got my ticket. I spent about a year there, learned a ton and got a lot of really good experience. That being said the work was really difficult and stressful. Dxing was probably 10% of the job. The rest was secretary, data entry, non-stop-emails, station manager, etc. With only 11 months aviation experience, I was then able to get on w/ a 121 ULCC. Pay increased and responsibility increased while stress decreased.

If its taken you a while to find the first job, I would recommend taking anything in aviation you can find. If you decide to go the supplemental route, I advise really doing your research on the company. A lot of those airlines are barely hanging on. Job security may not be high. Some of them are also very disorganized which can make a dispatcher wearing many hats very busy/stressed. Some of them are great airlines that have been around a long time. Either way it will be great experience that can help you move forward w/ your new career.

I don’t think there’s cons to it, I think it actually makes you more capable of things when you move up. I started at a 135 a few months out of dispatch school, within 3 months I was working in flight ops at a 121 domestic carrier. While I didn’t do a whole lot of dispatching at the 135 or 121 flight ops job, I had a lot of roles that showed I could handle a lot of things and still taught me a lot about the dispatch job since I worked with dispatchers all day. After about 2 years I threw in my app at a 121 supplemental cargo carrier and even though I had no straight dispatch job previously, they gave me the offer the next day.

Basically what I’m trying to say, take any opportunity you can get!

Thank ya'll for the encouragement. I have done my research and the company has been very clear about what my responsibilities will be. This forum is great although I think one thing that is misrepresented by some is how hard it is to get into a 121 after getting the certificate. I am going to go ahead and accept the job and continue applying to 121 operations.

The first job is always the hardest one to get, but I did get hired by a 121 regional within a couple months of finishing school. Good luck with your new job!

Did you have experience in aviation?

Not in operations - I had a degree in aviation from Embry-Riddle and a few years military experience fixing avionics. A lot of getting hired in dispatch is timing. Often it seems like hiring goes in waves, or you can not hear anything for quite a while and then suddenly get multiple calls for interviews. When job hunting, it doesn't hurt to have a pro look over your resume. I'm sure you will find the job hunt easier after you get a little bit of experience at the 135 operation. I know finding my second job was much less challenging than finding my first one.

Back