B-2 Accident

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Reports say it damaged the runway, may have gone into the weeds, followed by a fire. Only 20 +1 B-2’s were made and one was destroyed a few years ago.

Date:10-DEC-2022
Time:
Type:Northrop B-2A Spirit
Owner/operator:United States Air Force (USAF)
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Unknown
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Landing
Nature:Military
Departure airport:Warrensburg-Whiteman AFB, MO (SZL/KSZL)
Destination airport:Warrensburg-Whiteman AFB, MO (SZL/KSZL)
Narrative:
A Northrop B-2A Spirit made an emergency landing at Whiteman Air Force Base prompting a fire following an in-flight malfunction. There were no personnel injuries. The aircraft sustained an unknown amount of damage along with damage to the runway.

Just like how every time a new generation of smartphones comes out, yours starts glitching

We are still flying a bomber as our primary nuclear Triad arm that was supposed to be retired when my grandfather was in the military, and it may retire when my kids do if the decide to serve…

I’d say we got more than our money back in return on investment. A full buy of something like the B21 is loooooong overdue. Sortie generation alone on a 20 aircraft fleet flying 28-30 hour missions is abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are still flying a bomber as our primary nuclear Triad arm that was supposed to be retired when my grandfather was in the military, and it may retire when my kids do if the decide to serve…

I’d say we got more than our money back in return on investment. A full buy of something like the B21 is loooooong overdue. Sortie generation alone on a 20 aircraft fleet flying 28-30 hour missions is abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dear Boeing, What happened to you? Your spawn may outlive you, how did this happen?

Why must you be so hateful? :)
I don't hate their airplanes, I've never worked on any of them, my only context is as a passenger. My comment was more about what the company used to be and what it appears to be now, a new Boeing used to be a big deal with lots of innovation. I remember when I first heard the engines on a 777 would be the same diameter as a 737 fuselage, the horizontal stabilizer had the same span as a 737 wing, and the entire airplane was engineered, designed and built in a computer simulation before a single rivet had been bucked I was in a state of disbelief. Then maybe they reached a little too far with the 787, a good airplane that's certainly had its own teething issues. And I think that was about the time the bean counters took control from the engineers and decided that instead of replacing the 737 they'll just continue to stretch and modify it because it's cheaper, I wonder if in hindsight regarding the MAX issues and the damage to the brands reputation if that's actually true. B-52s were built by engineers for a specific purpose back in the '50s and the fact that they're still being used and will continue to be used for a long time is astounding. I wonder if a B-52 will still be flying when the design hits the century mark and will Boeing still exist at that point?

I don’t understand the 737 hate. It actually flies nicely from a pilots perspective. Sure it isn’t as spacious as a Bus but still, true and tried.

Yeah, I like flying it. The MAX flies really nicely too, compared to the NG IMHO. The guidance and automation can be a little quirky, and it is certainly small up front.

I don't hate their airplanes, I've never worked on any of them, my only context is as a passenger. My comment was more about what the company used to be and what it appears to be now, a new Boeing used to be a big deal with lots of innovation. I remember when I first heard the engines on a 777 would be the same diameter as a 737 fuselage, the horizontal stabilizer had the same span as a 737 wing, and the entire airplane was engineered, designed and built in a computer simulation before a single rivet had been bucked I was in a state of disbelief. Then maybe they reached a little too far with the 787, a good airplane that's certainly had its own teething issues. And I think that was about the time the bean counters took control from the engineers and decided that instead of replacing the 737 they'll just continue to stretch and modify it because it's cheaper, I wonder if in hindsight regarding the MAX issues and the damage to the brands reputation if that's actually true. B-52s were built by engineers for a specific purpose back in the '50s and the fact that they're still being used and will continue to be used for a long time is astounding. I wonder if a B-52 will still be flying when the design hits the century mark and will Boeing still exist at that point?

Haha sorry, I was being mildly sarcastic with my remark. I agree with you that they made some fantastic airplanes in the past. I'm hoping that this current battle over the MAX 10 will convince the company that the way forward will not continue to be additional evolutions of the 73.

Haha sorry, I was being mildly sarcastic with my remark. I agree with you that they made some fantastic airplanes in the past. I'm hoping that this current battle over the MAX 10 will convince the company that the way forward will not continue to be additional evolutions of the 73.

Just one more stretch!
And some more fuel tanks!
We can get 250 people in single class on a 9 hour flight.
They just need solid tires to increase the tire burst speed a few more knots.

Back