Auto Pilot Usage

In the Q400 I used it a lot. The -200 & -300 were a lot more fun so I would hand fly a lot more. Flying 91/135 it would just depend on the tail number and my mood.

These days in my 210 I use the AP for enroute and low IFR approaches when I get task saturated. But it's not a career for me any longer so I take a lot more enjoyment from the tactile experience of manipulating the controls than I did as a full time pilot.

Only had a couple flights in the SAAB, but I have flow up to 10k. Lately I have been leaving it on until 500-1000' while I learn operations.

You're not paid to have fun. You're paid to move that airplane from A to B safely, efficiently, and comfortably.

I'm also paid to have a mastery of the aircraft in all regimes of automation or lack thereof. You can't have a mastery of something you don't practice. And if you're saying that you cannot handfly and be safe, you're highly lacking as a pilot.

Last edited:
I'm also paid to have a mastery of the aircraft in all regimes of automation or lack thereof. You can't have a mastery of something you don't practice. And if you're saying that you cannot handfly and be safe, you're highly lacking as a pilot.

Doing something on occasion to keep the rust off is one thing. Doing it all the time and jostling the paying pax around isn't cool. As good as you think you are, you aren't as good as George.

I'll bet you can't tell if the auto-pilot is ever turned on and off. I used to hand fly all the short legs in and out of DTW. Last 200 flight I did I hand flew from YYZ to DTW. It felt great, and no one in the back got sick, because it was done well.

250 to the marker! I do not think ill ever get the chance to fly such a fun airplane ever again. Enjoy the time you have on that airplane.
It is a fun airplane. The A model flies nicely, but does not perform well. I flew the B model for the first time to day. It is nice.

I'll bet you can't tell if the auto-pilot is ever turned on and off. I used to hand fly all the short legs in and out of DTW. Last 200 flight I did I hand flew from YYZ to DTW. It felt great, and no one in the back got sick, because it was done well.
For the love of God WHY?!?

I had to sit through a few F/Os and CAs who did that. The PNF workload goes through the roof and no matter how "smooth" you think you are, I guarantee you are not. Plus hand flying burns more fuel, something like 2% more.

I had to sit through a few F/Os and CAs who did that. The PNF workload goes through the roof and no matter how "smooth" you think you are, I guarantee you are not. Plus hand flying burns more fuel, something like 2% more.

Speaking of the fuel part only here, he said it was on a CRJ-200, which means it was fee-for-departure.

You know just as well as I that fuel in that arena is effectively free, with no oversight whatsoever -- it is pumped into the wings using money that grew on trees for all the crews know.

Exactly. Just children wanting to show off. Nothing more.

Back