Auto Pilot Usage

I've officially given that yoke design the name "the knee cap filet machine".

FO: "Watch your knees and sack, it's coming back" -as it's already being
moved
"AHHHHH, Jesus Christ!!!"
FO: cool face

One of my favorite games is:

"Watch your valuables, checking the flight controls."
Then I watch the captain try to reach for the hot mic switch as I'm moving the yoke around. Its kind of an involuntary action in this plane when you have something to say, so they don't realize what is going on....they just chase it.

One of my favorite games is:

"Watch your valuables, checking the flight controls."
Then I watch the captain try to reach for the hot mic switch as I'm moving the yoke around. Its kind of an involuntary action in this plane when you have something to say, so they don't realize what is going on....they just chase it.
Oh man, next time I'm in the right seat, I'm so doing this!:bounce:

None of what you stated here is correct. I have exceptional understanding of the flight guidance (I teach it, for crying out loud). Maybe the guys at Tranny are poor pilots at hand flying, but my experience at our shop has been absolutely the opposite. The worst and most scary pilots I've flown with were automation addicts. I prefer to have a mastery in all regimes, which is encouraged by the company.

I gotta agree with Peanuckle on this one over ATN. The worst handflying I saw was from guys who would routinely have AP on below 500 ft on takeoff and then off only 100-500 AGL on landing. You could clearly tell in quite a few circumstances they just weren't comfortable.

Back