Auburn Calloway's Letter to President Obama / FedEx 705

Facilitation of murder isn't as bad as murder? Would you be okay with having guns out of a safe in a home where someone was mentally adjutucated unfit to own fire arms? Because it's really no different.

Were those firearms used in a murder? I honestly don't know anything about that particular instance

Eff this dude, a lot. I just wrote a paper in a college course about this flight. I honestly had no idea he was still rotting in jail.

At the risk of sounding like a McVeigh apologist, I don't think he was a psychopath. He was certainly a mass-murderer, but from what I've read his attitude towards his sentence was much less "poor me" and more "fair enough, this is war". Side note at most, back to your programming.
Cool book I just finished: "Bad Company"-
Mark Hamm (I think)
It's about the Arayan Republican Army, which has a connection to McVeigh and Nichols.
Whether there was additional support from the various white supremacist organizations at the time.

I think a lot of replies in this thread show that maybe people are missing the main point here.

The guy is mentally ill.

What other kind of letter would you expect?

I'm not backing him and saying "let him out!" Not in a million years.

But when I learned he was living a mile away from me a few years ago in his prison cell, out of curiosity I read a fair amount about him. Check out his website and read his take on things post-sentencing etc.

His mind is not functioning like a normal person's and so this letter is simply par for the course. Morals are an unknown to him, as is the difference between right and wrong, and the entire concept of reasonableness.

Right. A sociopath. A classic case.

From everything I have heard from the folks who instructed him during his Navy career, he was extremely below average, if not completely incompetent………….and only winged based on minority status. I've seen and known a few of these cats over the years due to big navy "political" decisions, and they all eventually self destruct at some level. Early success without merit leads to long term failure (also based on merit, or lack thereof), and the ultimate realization that you aren't what you thought you were is a stiff cocktail to sip. Outcomes have ranged from a wrecked marriage, career-ending personal conduct, to a quadruple murder-suicide.

So have new security measures been put in place, since this incident? To prevent it from ever happening again?
My guess is that you could still get the implements on the airplane but I think the main thing that changed is that if you're suspended or being terminated they remove your access to the airplane.

If I'm remembering this one right he was going to be terminated for falsifying his logbook and was pulled off the flight and then boarded the flight ostensibly to report for his disciplinary meeting

The million dollar question: Are psychopaths born or are they 'created' ?

The million dollar question: Are psychopaths born or are they 'created' ?

Created!

In the video if you watched it, they mention rather briefly without going into details of Mr. Calloway's harsh childhood. I would guess without a doubt that the harsh living conditions of his childhood. Coupled with all the secondary aspects of living in that environment. But more especially learning how to survive it is, the genesis of his psychopathy.

Last edited:
Without divulging too much about FX's jumpseating process....yes.

Have jumpseated on Fedex and UPS, and I noticed a difference in something Fedex does that UPS didn't (at least on my 2 UPS flights so far). And probably cause of this incident.

The vast vast majority of those were non-violent drug offenses. Other than Manning haven't really heard of any that were controversial.

Yup, Obama pardoning those people convicted of drug offenses from tough laws and regulations enacted mostly during the Clinton administration. The irony...

I think a lot of replies in this thread show that maybe people are missing the main point here.

The guy is mentally ill.

What other kind of letter would you expect?

I'm not backing him and saying "let him out!" Not in a million years.

But when I learned he was living a mile away from me a few years ago in his prison cell, out of curiosity I read a fair amount about him. Check out his website and read his take on things post-sentencing etc.

His mind is not functioning like a normal person's and so this letter is simply par for the course. Morals are an unknown to him, as is the difference between right and wrong, and the entire concept of reasonableness.

I disagree. I don't think he was mentally ill. He knew what he was doing and that it was wrong, but he didn't care.

And I'm curious, does anyone actually know what he falisified that Fedex was going to call him in and fire for? As a Navy pilot just how much falsifying can you really do? I can't imagine this guy pencil whipping left and right to get a job at Fedex. It's Fedex - they love military pilots. Does anyone actually know more about the facts on what he really did wrong as far as his flight hours/background goes?

Created!

In the video if you watched it, they mention rather briefly without going into details of Mr. Calloway's harsh childhood. I would guess without a doubt that the harsh living conditions of his childhood. Coupled with all the secondary aspects of living in that environment. But more especially learning how to survive it is, the genesis of his psychopathy.

Psychology researchers generally believe that psychopaths tends to be born — it’s likely a genetic predisposition — while sociopaths tend to be made by their environment. (Which is not to say that psychopaths may not also suffer from some sort of childhoodtrauma.) Psychopathy might be related to physiological brain differences. Research has shown psychopaths have underdeveloped components of the brain commonly thought to be responsible for emotion regulation and impulse control.

-Psychcentral.com

Of course there are probably lots of people who exhibit traits of Anti-Social Personality Disorder who really didn't have tramautic childhoods. An interesting topic for sure.

Back