Auburn Calloway's Letter to President Obama / FedEx 705

Hacker15e

Who am I? Where are my pants?
The audacity of a man who tried to murder three other airmen to ask President Obama for commutation of his sentence.

Some of the things he says in here...man....too much to counter individually....but, you can tell a lot about a man's character by things like this.

http://www.pardonpower.com/2017/01/open-letter-to-president.html

January 6, 2017

Dear President Obama:

I am a 65 year old African-American veteran of the U.S. Navy, [honorably] discharged in 1982. I held a top secret security clearance for nuclear weapons training. I am now the founder of Veteran Community Mentors and author of its Mission Statement (enclosed). I cannot accomplish the mission unless I receive a sentence commutation from you.

I hope that you are concerned that after serving my country from 1976 until 1982, I was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment without parole possibility having no prior criminal history except for a few traffic violations. No one was killed in the incident for which I was incarcerated where I brought 4 hammers, cartons of nails, $700 in cash, an uncharged pneumatic speargun which could not have been fired, along with other personal paraphernalia on board a FedEx cargo flight that I had been scheduled to fly the previous and subsequent days. Although I incurred the most serious injuries in the fracas, I took full responsibility and apologized to my fellow crew members in a letter that was published in the local newspaper. I derived no possible benefit from my conduct, which makes what I did a self-victimizing "crime" with no criminal intent. The trial judge, a conservative Republican who removed my case from a rotating docket which would have sent it to the late District Court Judge Jerome Turner (a liberal), instructed the jury with a "general intent" instead of the legally required "specific intent" mens rea element. That was enough to get a guilty verdict instead of a not guilty by reason of insanity verdict, which would have allowed me to receive treatment and be released long ago.

The most important question now remaining is whether (A) justice and (B) the public welfare is better served by your exercising your power of clemency in my particular case. The answer to (A) is provided by law professor Kenneth Gallant. The answer to (B) is given by my Mission Statement at VeteranCommunityMentors.org and by my good conduct record for more than two decades of imprisonment. Mercy is yours to grant or deny.

President Ford defended his pardon of Richard Nixon by advising the American people to consider how much Nixon had already suffered as a result of his crimes. Ford said "I feel that Richard Nixon and his loved ones have suffered enough and will continue to suffer no matter what I do, no matter what we, as a great and good nation, can do together."(see "Someone Must Write, the End." Newsweek, Sept. 16, 1974, 22). This is where you can direct any naysayers and clemency critics.

I hope you agree that it's time for reciprocity for your clemency, which you will get from me and other incarcerated veteran clemency recipients who, like me, dedicate themselves to pursuing a rescue effort in economically and socially beleaguered communities across the United States.

I go beyond my request that you grant my clemency with immediate release, and commutations for honorably discharged veterans, by asking that you also stand beside us, shoulder to shoulder, in places like Chicago, when we make our presence known. With you standing there with us, no one will doubt our legitimacy nor oppose our mission!

What matters most is that there are good people who have served our country honorably and sacrificially in every branch of the U.S. military, but have also suffered misfortunes under the criminal justice system. From the highest general to the lowest private, we have all served and suffered in one way or another.

I believe that incarcerated U.S. veterans deserve clemency despite having no assistance from a "Clemency Project" like that which has helped nonviolent drug offenders.

I will close by reminding you that we all love you and your family out here in common-class America. I hope you will reciprocate our love for you with love and mercy toward incarcerated veterans and our families.

Thank you in advance for your personal consideration of this clemency request.

God Bless You,

Auburn Calloway

Background, for those who don't know who Mr Calloway is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

"I'm a 65 years old African American veteran..." who cares, you also tried to murder 3 people (and maybe a lot more on the ground) but suck at life too much to even accomplish that. Rot in your jail cell for life. You're lucky you weren't put down in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timothy McVeigh was a veteran too, it's not a get out of jail free card.

Not once does he apologize for what he did either.

Hey relax guys it was a "self-victimizing" crime. He's basically a prisoner of conscience. Would be a shame if someone were to self-victimize him with a hammer.

Pretty disgusting that he would claim that considering those guys ended up brain damaged and never flew again, but yes, completely "self-victimizing".

This POS hits close to home so we spool up quick about this particular story.
However,Obama commuted the sentences of a lot worse than this guy. At last count he commuted 1,715 sentences, more than any other president in history.

However,Obama commuted the sentences of a lot worse than this guy. At last count he commuted 1,715 sentences, more than any other president in history.
What are some stories of those that were worse?

The vast vast majority of those were non-violent drug offenses. Other than Manning haven't really heard of any that were controversial.

There was a girl who purchased handgun for a felon (3 counts), what you'd call a straw purchase.
Didn't he stand in a soap box and shed a tear for America announcing his EO on closing "loop holes" for that very thing?

Here's a list:
https://mic.com/articles/166062/oba...t-of-all-the-people-obama-pardoned#.eqqi1KMyp

I still wouldn't call that worse than attempted murder. I haven't gone into too much depth but from browsing quickly I don't see anything too crazy on any of the commutes.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-commutations

What a disgusting, sick POS. He never once repents to the crew, Captain David Sanders, First Officer Jim Tucker and Flight Engineer Andy Peterson. He has the gall to state that "no one was killed." Yet that is exactly what he attempted to do to these three men and they were all severely inured and had medical issues for life to deal with. And what......he considers himself as "good people who have served our country honorably and sacrificially in every branch of the U.S. military, but have also suffered misfortunes under the criminal justice system?" You have to be kidding me. Then he goes on to state that what he did and his actions were "a self-victimizing "crime" with no criminal intent." Murder and the crashing/destruction of a DC-10 which he intended to fly into Fed Ex at MEM killing who knows how many people, had he succeeded.

He fractured both Peterson’s and Tucker’s skulls. Tucker’s jaw was dislocated. Tucker had multiple cuts because Calloway had tried to gouge out one of his eyes and stabbed his right arm. In addition to the multiple injuries to his head, David Sanders suffered several deep gashes. Doctors had to sew his right ear back into place. Flight engineer Peterson's temporal artery severed. The plane incurred damages in the amount of $800,000. That plane still flies in the Fed Ex Express fleet, btw.

Due to the extent and severity of their injuries, none of the flight crew has been able to medically return to commercial aviation. However, Jim Tucker took advantage of the Light Sport regulations and he taught his son, Andy, to fly in a Luscombe 8A.

Captain Sanders

flight-705.jpg

Calloway should have been executed. Here is the summary and ruling on his sentence and conviction: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1058021.html

Part of an interview with Jim Sanders:

"I remember thinking that I had lived through the flight, but I might not make it beyond that. All of us were facing some life-threatening injuries. David nearly had an ear torn off, had multiple lacerations, fractures and concussions, and the spear just missed one of his arteries. Andy had lost lots of blood — he was five minutes from bleeding to death — and got a secondary infection afterwards. I got the worst of it as far as head trauma, with a depressed skull fracture and associated subdural hematoma — they had to go in and relieve the building pressure and remove the clot. About a week later, I developed a brain abscess and they weren't sure I was going to make it. They removed the offending bone flap — a craniotomy — irrigated what they could, closed me up (minus the bone flap), and prayed for the best. I had six hours of IV therapy a day for six weeks, until it wore out the veins in my arms. Then they put a catheter in my chest — using a local anesthetic because I was a neurological patient — and that was very uncomfortable, but at least I was through with needles. Then I began two and a half years of intensive physical therapy, speech therapy, cognitive therapy, occupational therapy — you name it, I had it. It was a race against time, because the more progress you make in a short time the greater your chances are for a full recovery.

I spent quite a bit of time in therapy at the Med, then at Baptist Central and graduated to a place called Physiotherapy Associates. I met Dr. Morris Ray early on in my treatment at the Med. He is chief neurosurgeon at Semmes-Murphy Clinic. He performed both the craniotomy and the cranioplasty which — in my operation — replaced the bone flap with a polymer acrylic substance that was machined to fit the cranial defect. Morris is a pilot and I've flown his airplanes, flew with him at Oshkosh, and did some formation flying with him. There are so many great people that helped me out. Dr. Robert Reeder, who is no longer with us — he succumbed to cancer — was an AME and plastic surgeon and he and Morris and Dr. Burriss patched me up when I had my last neurosurgery in 1996.

Not long after my last surgery, I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder. I didn't want to admit it or acknowledge it, and I reacted with shock, dismay and anger. I was a pilot, and pilots can't have seizure disorders. All through my life when I had a score to attain or a skill to acquire or a task to accomplish, there wasn't anything that hard work and a good attitude couldn't get you through. So I started working out again and began studying in depth about seizure disorders and their treatment. There are many kinds that manifest themselves in different ways, but they all mean the death knell for a medical certificate. I don't agree with that, but the FAA answers only to Congress. When you talk to the FAA about neurology, they tell you the answer is "no" before they know what the question is.

The maddening thing about this is I'm not talking about getting a first class medical to exercise an ATP rating. Obviously it's over for me. I have to adhere to a very regimented schedule, get up and go to bed on time, do the healthy things we all should do. But some days I'm like a NiCad battery — I can go and go and then, boom, that's it, I have to stop what I'm doing and rest. So as far as working on the back side of the clock, that's over. In fact, if I have a restless night, I'm fried the next day — and that didn't use to happen. A recreational license doesn't apply to a Luscombe — a Champ or a Cub, yes, but not a Luscombe.

So I fly with a good friend named Dirk Merrill, who is an aerial applicator — a crop duster. He's one of the finest men I've ever met and I really enjoy flying with him. Being a single-seater, I never really got used to flying with people, but I really enjoy flying with Dirk. There are a couple of guys from the company that drop in once in a while and we hop in the Luscombe and go for a ride."

And just in case you are wondering, Fed Ex stepped up big time and has taken very good care of these three pilots.

Last edited:
I think a lot of replies in this thread show that maybe people are missing the main point here.

The guy is mentally ill.

What other kind of letter would you expect?

I'm not backing him and saying "let him out!" Not in a million years.

But when I learned he was living a mile away from me a few years ago in his prison cell, out of curiosity I read a fair amount about him. Check out his website and read his take on things post-sentencing etc.

His mind is not functioning like a normal person's and so this letter is simply par for the course. Morals are an unknown to him, as is the difference between right and wrong, and the entire concept of reasonableness.

Last edited:
What @Nick said. His unapologetic attitude doesn't surprise me. He's a psychopath.

I think it surprises people.

Like if you sat down and had a beer with Timothy McVeigh, he'd probably appear like a completely normal person and completely justify what he did, dispassionately, and write an eloquent letter full of forgiveness and he'll offer a basket of reasons to support his clemency.

His "only victim was me" crime took away the livelihoods of three of his fellow pilots and inspired the 9/11 hijackers.

He can get the mental help he clearly needs, but not in the outside world.

At the risk of sounding like a McVeigh apologist, I don't think he was a psychopath. He was certainly a mass-murderer, but from what I've read his attitude towards his sentence was much less "poor me" and more "fair enough, this is war". Side note at most, back to your programming.

I still wouldn't call that worse than attempted murder. I haven't gone into too much depth but from browsing quickly I don't see anything too crazy on any of the commutes.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-commutations

Facilitation of murder isn't as bad as murder? Would you be okay with having guns out of a safe in a home where someone was mentally adjutucated unfit to own fire arms? Because it's really no different.

Back