ATTN: ATP CFI's....re: acquiring CFI positions at ATP

junebuguf

ATTN: ATP CFI\'s....re: acquiring CFI positions at ATP

This question is geared towards all current and former ATP CFI's and students. I am seriously considering attending ATP and since I would like attain a CFI position there after I finish, I am curious to know what the CFI evaluation process is like. I have heard that there is considerable attention paid to politics and things unrelated to flying at some other academies. Assuming I do well on my writtens and stage checks, what other factors are involved during the evaluation process? What should I consider? Are these positions solely awarded on merit at ATP?

Re: ATTN: ATP CFI\'s....re: acquiring CFI positions at ATP

I am a current instructor for ATP, but I really have no clue how they go about choosing who is hired. I know it is probably next to impossible to get a job with ATP now if you did not do the airline career pilot program.

The guys at ATP do however have several ways of seeing how you will be as an instructor...They get to fly with you in the Citation, and evaluate your ability to fly something totally different from what you trained in, they can talk to your former instructors...and how well you did on your checkrides..

Another thing is how easy you are to get along with, with dispatch during your cross countries, i am sure they evaluate your ability to take some flights with a good attitude even though it is not the flight you want to take.

I really dont know, these are my theories.
hunter

The Hiring process is pretty simple. There are no garantees to anyone about attaining a position, but if you go through the program and dont make any waves, and are overall an easy person to work with you stand a pretty good chance. After you finish the program you send in your resume and call the VP every couple weeks and check in with him. Eventually if a class starts you may get a call back.

No one that goes through the career pilot program is guarenteed a job at ATP, but ATP generally hires only people that have gone through the program. There isn't a interview or anything like that. Your interview is pretty much the whole time you are in the program. Once you finish the program you can send in your resume if you want, a good amount of people that come to ATP go home to instruct at local FBOs. Of course ATP does not hire everyone that goes through the program.

There isn't any kind of merit system and you don't have stage checks here because we are a part 61 school.

The ATP instructor job is a valuable asset. No where else can you gain the amount of multi-engine time that you will receive instructing for ATP. Additionally, the Seminoles that ATP owns are in great shape and equipped with Garmin 430's.

She really doesnt look like that. I have a picture of GT10 that I will post tomorow.

no really, she is the hottest girl in the world. No one in the world is as hot as apr.....gt10

Thanks for the replies guys. Something else I've been curious about: say I go through the Career Pilot Program, but dont get called back to instruct at ATP, do other academies and FBO's look down on the speed of ATP's program? What kind of response have you guys gotten when you have applied to other places?

No other instructor program will give you the multi-engine time that you will get at ATP. You will be a very attractive candidate for flight schools that are hiring.

I cant think of any other program that will make you more appealing. You will have coast to coast actual IFR experience in a twin. Everyone else will have local VMC conditions in a 172.

You will have about 140 hours of multi time when you are done plus your mei and meii. FBOs that are hiring will love to see someone with that much multi time. Lots of people that come to us for just their MEI or MEII only have about 20 hours multi PIC if that much (15 multi PIC is a requirement for your MEI). Everyone I know that went through the career pilot program has a job of some sort instructing. This is really one of the best instructing jobs you will find.

Sorry for the responses that are a little off the subject. I get a hard time from these guys...
smile.gif

What place (ex. Jax, Dallas, Riverside, etc) do most of the intructors hired want to instruct at? I have many possibilities for next year, but one of them would be to move to JAX, do the Career Pilot Program, then go to school at University of North Florida and try to instruct part time for ATP. Is this possible? I already have 3 years done after this spring semester is done, but I want something different, ND is kicking my butt.

Thanks

I am open to any career pilot location, but i strongly prefer Atlanta. Right now a lot of the instructors here prefer west coast locations.

By the way, I do not look like that picture
tongue.gif

Also, I do not think it is possible to work "part time" for ATP. It is a job that you have to devote all of your time to.

There is usually a variety of instructors in the office who did their training at different locations. The instructors usually prefer either to stay on the east coast or go to the west coast. It all depends for each person as far as location. My first choice was Atlanta, but Monday I am starting at Jax with two career pilots and I am very excited and happy with that...its a great location and its Florida! The more flexible you are the better with ATP! You definitely would be too busy to instruct for ATP and go to school. This job is 7 days a week but it is by far worth it.

Back