ATTN: ATP CFI's....re: acquiring CFI positions at ATP

Re: ATTN: ATP CFI\'s....re: acquiring CFI positions at ATP

Thanks for the quick reply you two,

So you are saying it is hard to complete a degree while working there? What about an online degree? I am sure there are others that do the program, then instruct are trying the online degree thing. Thanks again

I don't want to say it is impossible, but it would be very difficult to do that and flight instruct at ATP. ATP sets its programs up to be very accelerated and make sure that you finish in the given amount of time and money. The instructors here work very hard to do that, so unless you are at one of our locations that isn't as busy (definitely not a career pilot location) you will not have much time for anything, especially studying. And even then I wouldn't know if it would be possible because your schedule is always changing. ATP also schedules things at the last minute whenever people want to come do a course we offer or someone has to change a start date so your schedule is always up in the air.

Does anyone know how busy the Las Vegas location is? I love Vegas.

I spend more time lurking these days, but I had to jump in on this one.

I have been an instructor at ATP Riverside since last June and have been working on my degree online the entire time. If you are responsible and willing to work hard, there is definitely time for studying and flight instructing. In fact, I have carried over twenty units each of the past six semesters.

I don't get as much sleep as I used to, but I have gotten through a four year degree in two years, and built over eight hundred hours with (seven hundred multi hours) in the past year and a half.

Everything is possible...

Socal, what did you do when you finished with the program? Did you go back home to wait until a position opened or were you able to stick around somehow. I'm from PA and am going to attend the whole program in JAX. The last thing I want to do is lug all of my stuff back to PA 20+ hours for a few weeks and then when I get the call lug everything back down. That would suck.

Socal you stud. Very impressive. Whats your major?

Thanks again for all the posts. I've visited all the academies and read all the brochures and met all the greasy salespeople/tour guides and been to every discussion board, and as far as I can tell, just about all the well known academies have good reputations with respect to their training. So I'm most concerned with having the best shot at a CFI position after I finish. Clearly, all else being equal, any flight academy would hire its own graduates over any others...

I was just wondering if the CFI's actually get their own room when they instruct for ATP? I know you have to share a room while in the program and was just curious if you still do when you teach.

Junebuguf - Do you currently go to UF? I'm at UF right now and graduate this May

deder,

graduated UF in dec. 2001 and am working full time to save up some scratch for flight training. havent been back in a loong time, but I trust the hare kirhsnas are still chanting on the corner of univ. and 13th every Friday, so all is still well in the universe. really want to check out a home game at the o'connel center, but cant seem to find the time. hopefully, if they make a long run in the ncaa's i'll get a chance to check 'em out.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies guys. Something else I've been curious about: say I go through the Career Pilot Program, but dont get called back to instruct at ATP, do other academies and FBO's look down on the speed of ATP's program? What kind of response have you guys gotten when you have applied to other places?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the places I've applied have loved the fact I am coming in with 140 multi time as an instructor. They also love the fact I have all my instructor ratings. I haven't gotten any negative responses about going through ATPs program. Plus I've already gotten a part time charter job as a result of having so much multi time.
tongue.gif
It's definitely been a good thing on my resume. A few of the places I've applied actually say they like the quality of people coming out of ATP. THe only negative I've gotten so far is that I have to independently build up some instruction hours to qualify for someone's insurance...but that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]
no really, she is the hottest girl in the world. No one in the world is as hot as apr.....gt10

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.
wink.gif

So I take it you're done, SigAV8R? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Yep...now it's on to the food stamps and cardboard boxes as a flight instructor.
smirk.gif

Before you get too cozy on the dole, how's about filling us in on the last half of the program and the Citation rides? People have always gotten too busy after the XC phase to post good field reports, and I want to hear more about it!

SoCal, who are you doing your online degree with? Completing my degree online would be the best option for me in my opinion. Any thoughts or comments on your current major and the school you are taking it through would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the Citation ride was a good time. Never long enough...but enough to get familiar with the workings and handling of a jet. We had a bit of ground school before flying. Then went through the checklists and callouts. Afterwards, it was off to the plane and off to our destination. On my flight, I got to fly to Atlanta and then on to Birmingham. After that, another student flew from Birmingham back. I flew the airplane from take-off to landing both times.

After the XC phase, it's off to Jax for the initial MEI training. I spent about 2 weeks down there. We had 1 week of ground school and then after that finally hopped back into the seminoles. Weather was partly responsible for my extended stay. After the training part, it was off to Stuart for me to take my ride. The checkride wasn't soo bad. My oral was about 1.5-2 hrs. THen it was back to Dallas to finish out. After I got back, it was very fast paced. I finished my II, Single Comm, and Single CFI in about a week and a half. You don't get a whole lot of time to prep for the single stuff. So if people attend an ATP location in their home city...it might be beneficial to go out on your own and practice the single engine stuff at least once. Other than that, after I already made arrangements with the head instructor in Dallas to stay and take my AGI/IGI, my instructor called the home office and then told me I had to leave that day since I was done with the program. He had to make room for that imaginary guy who needed my room.
smirk.gif

Cause I really wanna know
Whooooooo are you?
Who, who, who, who
Awww who the F*#K are you?
C'mon tell who are you? YOu? You? You? Yooooooou?

grin.gif

Back