Attendance tracking

My experience has been like Skaning's. I had to bang out sick last week for legitimately being sick, and never heard another word about it. I've used sick leave I think 3 times since I've been here, and two of them were confirmed covid, with this most recent one being the general crud caught from young kids in the house. I've never heard of someone having to produce a Dr note, which seems pretty common at SJI with their 50 hr "lookback" policy I might add. I don't even know how I would go about getting a retroactive Dr note for the cold. I don't even have a doctor. Seems crazy, and entirely based on some military policy/instruction, adopted by an airline that wears military uniforms to fly.

If you get on the radar it happens. Not to me but I know some who have been asked for sick notes.

Youll get a call if it touches vacation, is more than 4 days in a row (generally just to see whats up and ensure its not a long term thing), traveled or posted about non sick activities while using the bank outside CBA purposes, or its a holiday. Violating 1, 3, &4 depending on the persons history, can lead to section 19.

It does seem to be alot up to our ACPs though, never had an issue with it personally when i called in. Funnily enough; i had just come off a 3 day sick block and was chatting with my acp about other stuff while hacking up a lung, him laughing that i probably shoulda gone a few more days.

I am constantly amazed at how stupid supposed smart people are.

Social media.

“Well, if that guy just admitted on the internet that he did that, it must be acceptable” as if management doesn’t monitor publicly available information.

There was another guy going against company policy on his fleet to force MX to replace certain items faster, even though supplies of those parts are sparse and the mitigation teechnique is the procedure he’s not following, and publicly admitting.

People are wild, but they don’t hear me tho.

Its such a good job (in relativity to the professions available out there), regardless of ones shop, for people to just toss it away through social media…why people think Facebook and the like are good outlets is beyond me.

A lot of you guys have been asking what a day in the life of an airline pilot is like... so... I figured I'd wake you up at 3am for a 4am van ride so you can see.

Curious how other airlines track attendance and what, if any, penalties come with missing time?

My company has a points based program where certain absences accrue points. Your discipline level is tied to the amount of points you accrue on a rolling 365.

Ours has recently been leaked to an aviation fb page so this may be outing what company I work for (not that I really care), but I’m just curious how others do it. First airline for me.
Your company set a precedent of ignoring the points for pilots for several years and then all of a sudden started firing people when it became convenient. Even had CPs say it was primarily designed for the FAs but they had to give it to the pilots because of a "me-too" clause the FAs have in their contract.

A lot of you guys have been asking what a day in the life of an airline pilot is like... so... I figured I'd wake you up at 3am for a 4am van ride so you can see.
I swear; if i had a capt (or an fo down the road) try to do this; id probably just glare at them the entire trip.

Its such a good job (in relativity to the professions available out there), regardless of ones shop, for people to just toss it away through social media…why people think Facebook and the like are good outlets is beyond me.

Well, yes.

Aviation is a fantastic job and it’s fairly easy to keep if you simply use common sense.

The thing I see are people cheering dumb decisions on social media. I saw a post about a pilot who always called in sick or fatigued on the last day of his trip if he wouldn’t make his commute. All the “cool kids” cheered him on while everyone else just watched the spectacle.

He eventually got busted because large employers tend to “lie in wait”, stacking up errant behavior and data before the first sign that you’re being monitored.

He got lucky with some unpaid time off, but how many other people did he influence?

“But I posted anonymously” - Hard LOL.

Well, yes.

Aviation is a fantastic job and it’s fairly easy to keep if you simply use common sense.

The thing I see are people cheering dumb decisions on social media. I saw a post about a pilot who always called in sick or fatigued on the last day of his trip if he wouldn’t make his commute. All the “cool kids” cheered him on while everyone else just watched the spectacle.

He eventually got busted because large employers tend to “lie in wait”, stacking up errant behavior and data before the first sign that you’re being monitored.

He got lucky with some unpaid time off, but how many other people did he influence?

“But I posted anonymously” - Hard LOL.
I hate this crap. Just makes everyone's life harder when they're legitimately fatigured or sick.

If you were still on FB, you'd see the gentleman on the 😡🔺 page angry about SouthernJets warning about the FAA policy on PED's.

"Well, I'll just go back to the gate to talk to maintenance" (assuming he'd have pushed back in this scenario)

VHF and SATCOM broke? Weird hill to die on.

If you were still on FB, you'd see the gentleman on the 😡🔺 page angry about SouthernJets warning about the FAA policy on PED's.

"Well, I'll just go back to the gate to talk to maintenance" (assuming he'd have pushed back in this scenario)

Whats funny is at (not) my shop, a hypothetical internet only airline not affiliated with any real carrier and used solely for the purposes of discussion , hypothetically we have no satcom and mx is unavailable via radio at even major hubs 90% of the time…so to comply with this PED policy, that is actually probably the fastest solution than waiting via acars.

Ah so you guys are getting the PED crackdown too eh?

And plus I mean, they literally emphasized when you CAN for purposes like calling maintenance.
I used to think I was a whiny grouch, but I’m realizing apparently I’m Mr. Sunshine.

Whats funny is at (not) my shop, a hypothetical internet only airline not affiliated with any real carrier and used solely for the purposes of discussion , hypothetically we have no satcom and mx is unavailable via radio at even major hubs 90% of the time…so to comply with this PED policy, that is actually probably the fastest solution than waiting via acars.
Returning to the gate will surely garner immediate attention anywhere. It just may not be the attention you want.

Back