ATR down in Taipei

The -150 Pig with no redundancy. Made for a fun check ride.

As for your future with CNN, you need to brush up on 1) black holes and 2) how to properly identify a small pox vac scar.
Also misidentify aircraft (call this a 747 or A380), explain how you could "hear" the car drive underneath you, and make up a sound for a traffic alert. You could be well on your way!

Having never flown a twin bigger than a DA-42, can most regional size turboprops maintain altitude when clean?

Having never flown a twin bigger than a DA-42, can most regional size turboprops maintain altitude when clean?

Yes, easily. I wouldn't say "most" either, but all. That's why this is a puzzling accident... There should be absolutely no need for any kind of "stretching the glide" on an aircraft like this, unless something really bizarre caused a dual engine flameout.

From the video, that does not appear to be te case.

.There should be absolutely no need for any kind of "stretching the glide" on an aircraft like this, unless something really bizarre caused a dual engine flameout..

Not that outlandish. Bird strike. Total failure of one engine, partial failure of the other.

Crash.gif

The final communication from the pilots to air traffic control was "Mayday, mayday, engine flame out", according to a recording played on local media. The recording was not immediately verified by aviation officials.
Per the BBC.

Diamond twin star. A 2 engine motor glider.

The Falcon 20 is FA20 not DA20 like you'd think.

Yeah, but it does anything but glide LOL. I'd imagine if you feather both props it will glide pretty decently though.

Dumb question from a GA pilot here: what is a VMC rollover?

There is a certain airspeed at which you can have full rudder deflection, but the rudder effectiveness is no longer enough to keep the engine from yawing the airplane during single engine operations. This typically happens at slow speeds closer to stall speed. It's not a good place to be, once you lose directional control depending on altitude, airspeed and reaction time to recover, you may not come out of it alive like we saw in the video of this particular accident.

Vmc specifically is minimum controllable airspeed. A lot of factors can affect Vmc, but there is specific certification criteria that is used to determine a published Vmc speed to use as a reference.

Three things I noticed 1) Clearly the left engine failed 2) there doesn't seem to be much evidence of a post crash fire. In other news footage, the fuselage looks untouched by fire. At that impact velocity, a plane that has just taken off would burst into flames 3) The pilot issued a mayday saying there was an engine flame out. I suspect the investigators would be strongly focusing at the fuel tanks/system on this one....

what is a VMC rollover?
Here's what I gather:
VMC: Minimum control speed with the critical engine inoperative
Critical engine: the one that creates the most yaw when failed (i.e. CRITICAL=the one you would rather keep)
Why the yaw: the turning prop creates a little more thrust on the downward going side of the disc, torque also tries to turn plane to the left and the operating engine slipstream misses the tail and does not help either (props turn clockwise when looking from cockpit)

criticalengine1.jpg

In the picture there is more lift generated on the right wing due to prop wash, and more drag on the left due to the dead prop.
To counter side slip toward the dead engine the left wing is raised (raise the dead), but aileron down creates drag on the left.
You can see how the the airplane is now at high drag/low power.
In other words you have an imbalance of forces resulting in pulling/rolling to the left so its imperative to keep the rudder effective =maintain speed above VMC.

Others will hopefully chime in on that important issue.

Back