ATR 72 Crash in Brazil

Dang. Wrong gate saved 10 lives…

IMG_1516.jpg

Sister of my buddy's wife missed boarding Flight 93 on 9/11. She is now the CEO of a multibillion dollar energy consulting company. I'm sure history is full of these stories, though it is no less wild for those people I'd imagine

Retired AA pilot Ross Aimer has spoken…

Captain Ross Aimer, who has over 40 years of experience flying passenger jets in the US, told DailyMail.com that the tragic plane could have experienced engine failure, flight control malfunction, or if a critical part of the aircraft - like a wing part - fell off.

Sister of my buddy's wife missed boarding Flight 93 on 9/11. She is now the CEO of a multibillion dollar energy consulting company. I'm sure history is full of these stories, though it is no less wild for those people I'd imagine

I had a couple hours of anxiety trying to track down my father on 9/11.

He had an office at the Pentagon and he was due to fly to LAX that week. He flew out on 9/10 and his office was unharmed.

Neither of us had cell phones and his secretary wasn’t aware of his itinerary.

Way back in the day, I started out my 121 flying on the Saab 340B+ at Mesaba. The Saab’s were built for ice, and could haul more of it than Santa’s sled, but even it had its limits. True severe icing, an event I’ve only ever come close to once or twice, is really beyond the capabilities of any aircraft to stay in for long. In severe icing a Saab or ATR sized aircraft can be adding 1000 pounds of airframe ice a minute. My recollection was once you started seeing ice on the cockpit side windows, you were likely in it, or were close to being in it. At that point you needed to get out, usually an altitude change of a few thousand feet would do the trick, it’s usually found in fairly narrow bands. You didn’t take “No” for an answer from ATC, declare an emergency and just do it, because severe icing is an emergency.

Seth McFarlane, creator of the show Family Guy, was supposed to be on AA11 on 9/11 but allegedly just missed it by minutes.

The one time I've experienced severe icing it built up so fast and caused so much airspeed loss I was fumbling to figure out what to do. Like driving down a snowy highway and a semi hits that ridge of slush between lanes that sprays all over your car except it freezes instantly. Airspeed just unwound like the rubber band snapped on the airspeed indicator. Fortunately it was just a cell of some sort and I came out the other side with the engines screaming a high tenor. God bless the 402 lol.

Roselawn, IN crash was an ATR. I think it was tailplane icing. Thought they came out with special procedures after that.
Eagle 4184 (Roselawn) wasn't tailplane icing.

They were holding with the flaps out in ice. The supercooled water droplets (and yes, I heard Greg Feith's voice, too, as I said that) accumulated and froze behind the protected surfaces. At some point, they retracted the flaps and that ice formation acted like a vacuum and yanked an aileron up and it was out of control at that point.

I remember AA moved all the ATRs to Florida and SJU after that until the French could redesign the boots.

Eagle 4184 (Roselawn) wasn't tailplane icing.

They were holding with the flaps out in ice. The supercooled water droplets (and yes, I heard Greg Feith's voice, too, as I said that) accumulated and froze behind the protected surfaces. At some point, they retracted the flaps and that ice formation acted like a vacuum and yanked an aileron up and it was out of control at that point.

I remember AA moved all the ATRs to Florida and SJU after that until the French could redesign the boots.

I’ve never seen someone move their hands as much as Feith when explaining something. But he is a good speaker.

Retired AA pilot Ross Aimer has spoken…

Captain Ross Aimer, who has over 40 years of experience flying passenger jets in the US, told DailyMail.com that the tragic plane could have experienced engine failure, flight control malfunction, or if a critical part of the aircraft - like a wing part - fell off.
Wow, that's one analysis. Except all 4 corners are intact at the crash site and 20+ vids show it intact during the spin. Awesome show, great job Mr. Aimer.

Even after, they never returned to JFK/BOS/ORD ECT and DFW was the only non tropical climate Eagle used them in briefly before retirement.

I’m thinking spatial D. I know it’s to early to tell, and not saying that the cause couldn’t be icing.
I feel like one could lead to the other. Imagine how it felt upfront when they went into a violent flat spin from 170...I can only imagine how disorienting it would be and I'm curious to see the FDR to see if they actually managed to fight it until the end or passed out .

Last edited:
Wow, that's one analysis. Except all 4 corners are intact at the crash site and 20+ vids show it intact during the spin. Awesome show, great job Mr. Aimer.

Even after, they never returned to JFK/BOS/ORD ECT and DFW was the only non tropical climate Eagle used them in briefly before retirement.

I feel like one could lead to the other. Imagine how it felt upfront when they went into a violent flat spin from 170...I can only imagine how disorienting it would be and I'm curious to see the FDR to see if they actually managed to fight it until the end or passed out .
One could cause the other, I agree. I’m curious to see what the FDR/CVR data says too. I don’t like to Monday morning quarterback, and I don’t know how I would have reacted in the same situation. That being said in my time developing the EET program for my company, I’ve seen a few accidents in which the crew did not perform basic stall recovery, or even put it in a stall. I’ve watched NTSB videos where you’re thinking (A) what scenario do you think is going on where full aft yoke stick movement is appropriate, and (B) what scenario do you think you are in where you should be doing it for minutes. I hope it’s nothing like that because those are senseless deaths.

One of them later crashed in the Caribbean with ice build up a contributing factor (it was a Cuban bird), so I really wonder if it makes a difference.

One of them later crashed in the Caribbean with ice build up a contributing factor (it was a Cuban bird)
I couldn’t imagine Brazilian or Caribbean operators have that much icing experience. You have to go further south in the continent to hit the real colder latitudes.

Back