ATR 72 Crash in Brazil

Definitely do not recommend looking around Twitter for videos to watch of this. There’s some pretty graphic stuff that’s been posted out there.

1000006671.png
A flat spin from 17k? How does this happen outside of intentionally or really poor piloting?

Seeing unconfirmed chatter about an icing SIGMET. Anyone know if this is similar to the profile of the AA Eagle incidents with the ATR?

View attachment 79168A flat spin from 17k? How does this happen outside of intentionally or really poor piloting?
Icing perhaps ? There were many icing reports for the area, some pilots characterizing the icing being the worst they've ever encounter. The ATR's like the caravans are to be operated with extra caution in that type of environment. Some rumors suggest the pilot had requested lower but was denied by ATC.

The second problem with spinning a multi-engine airplane is the rotating mass on the wings - engines & propellers. Those generally aggravate the situation. The first problem would be why is it spinning; pilot induced or uncontrolled aerodynamic situation (structural failure or airfoil icing) and how to stop it - neither of which have great outcomes.

I'm not a working pilot, in fact it's been almost a decade since I logged any PIC time so I'm just looking for some enlightenment. If there is icing and level flight isn't possible due to aerodynamic contamination without losing airspeed why would someone slow down enough to get into a stall/spin? You're going down one way or another, why choose the option that causes a loss of control? I'm not pointing fingers and I've never flown an airliner, I just don't understand letting the airspeed decay to that point, even if you're in the mountains at least you're still flying. I'd imagine those airplanes have fairly robust heaters on all of the pitot/static probes/ports and are certified for FIKI.

I'm not a working pilot, in fact it's been almost a decade since I logged any PIC time so I'm just looking for some enlightenment. If there is icing and level flight isn't possible due to aerodynamic contamination without losing airspeed why would someone slow down enough to get into a stall/spin? You're going down one way or another, why choose the option that causes a loss of control? I'm not pointing fingers and I've never flown an airliner, I just don't understand letting the airspeed decay to that point, even if you're in the mountains at least you're still flying.

One of the things about icing is that you don't know what the critical angle of attack is, anymore. You can be well above "stall speed" when you stall.

Back