ATP Seminole Crash

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the four, our brothers, who have touched down on the numbers for the last time.

Cleared direct...

:(

This is such a sad event. I always cringe when flying over that practice area. I never have liked it. There is just too much traffic in too small of a space. It's just hard to see and avoid (if not impossible) with concentrated air traffic.

This is almost a year to the day from the last mid air collision over the same practice area.

It also looks like neither ELT went off and no one noticed two planes falling out of the sky.

RIP to all.

I was at the ATP FLL office this July and Alex was the only instructor working there. It seemed that most, if not all the flights in and out of there were either CFI initial checkrides or cross countries. Either way, this is a sad situation and hopefully draw attention to and fix some problems with the airspace down there.

My thoughts and prayers to all involved. Used to fly that plane in JAX all the time. I was just talking with my captain about how we used to go in the practice area and never see anyone and a few times took the 2005 seminoles to the area that had the traffic awareness on the garmin and there were planes everywhere and I didn't know how I survived GA. RIP

********************************************************************************
** Report created 12/8/2008 Record 2 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 369ES Make/Model: C172 Description: 172, P172, R172, Skyhawk, Hawk XP, Cutla
Date: 12/06/2008 Time: 2020

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: Y Missing:
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
N188TP, A PIPER PA44 AIRCRAFT COLLIDED MIDAIR WITH ANOTHER AIRCRAFT,
N369ES, A CESSNA 172, UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE FOUR PERSONS ON
BOARD BOTH AIRCRAFT WERE FATALLY INJURED, WRECKAGE LOCATED 12 MILES FROM
HOLLYWOOD, FL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR 1953Z 19008KT 10SM BKN060 27/13 A3001

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: Other

FAA FSDO: SOUTH FLORIDA, FL (SO19) Entry date: 12/08/2008

God I hate that practice area (esp. the east side). You'll be making reports on the common frequency and hear 3 people call out the same position over the same pump house you think you're at...but you see nobody. Glad I don't fly there anymore...

It's always sad to hear of any accident. ATP should invest in more aircraft with traffic advisory. It's too busy around there not to have it. Your eyes can only see so much.

RIP

Oh Christ, that's awful.

We have a lot of JCer's from ATP...would you guys mind checking in, please? Loadmaster 141 - I'm looking in your direction. Let us know you're okay, Jeremy.

I'm here buddy thanks for your concern.

I spent a week and a half in SUA as my first ATP duty station this past summer. Andrew "Mainer" was one of the first instructors I ever met that I decided to try and model myself after. He was an extremely conscientious and hard working individual.

This is just horrible news. Sympathies and condolences to all remaining family members and friends of the four pilots.

I flew that plane too. "Toilet Paper" as we called it was a very good flying '79. RIP to all involved.

I flew 118TP a few times also. Condolences to family and friends. RIP.

This is the second airplane that I know of that I have flown and people died in.

RIP Andrew, I flew most of my cross country time with him; he was a great guy and will be missed. Whenever I went down to SUA with students he always had a ready smile, and a story to share.

Blue Skies and Tail Winds for your flight west Andrew.

Back