ATP opening more locations

I am almost 90% sure a San Diego location would be at Montgomery Field. I can't see Gillespie, but maybe. Definitely not Brown as it is way too far away from everything, although costs would be low down there. Montgomery has the only ILS in town. (you're not going to get a practice approach to SAN unless it's 2am). I would think that operating cost's at CRQ would be extremely high as well as you start to get pretty close to the RIV location. One thing about opening SoCal locations is that they already have MX at RIV so a San Diego location can fly planes to RIV for MX. This make sense to add additional locations in areas with a large population while ATP's focus has shifted somewhat to privates and add-on ratings. For these ratings people want to stay in their "hometown", instead of having to travel and stay in apartments.

Guys, it is very simple, ATP is NOW accepting foreign students, and they are now doing private pilots at all locations.
Yes people, ATP has turned into a chain FBO for flight training. If you ask me, they had no other choice.
Teaching Europeans for myself, I am quite happy, 100+ hours a month I easily get still. I only have one American student. Most are Danish, Irish, Italian, German, and English.
ATP is no competition however, not unless they start teaching a JAR ground school and develop a JAR flight department.
It probably is only a matter of time however before the European market slows down. The USD having a low value against the Euro is helping business for sure but as we all know, the European economy follows behind the USA's.

Wow they are taking foreigners right now? Are they going to let them instruct as well? Are all locations up now as well with the flying over all? It didnt seem like every location was doing as well as you made it sound. Even at 100 a month right now, where's that leave ya in the end of things when people arent hiring? What are most people doing around there these days? Just wondering more or less.sssssssssssssssss

Does anyone know what going on with the Houston location? They claim it's at DWH in north Houston, yet I'm out there every weekend and have yet to see anything. Perhaps they have some sort of operating agreement with someone like American Flyers?

Does anyone know what going on with the Houston location? They claim it's at DWH in north Houston, yet I'm out there every weekend and have yet to see anything. Perhaps they have some sort of operating agreement with someone like American Flyers?

I am there everyday too in the big building that has the huge ATP sign hanging on it, with 5 seminoles and 3 cessnas parked in front of the building..... But I havent seen you either:D

We are on the west side of the airport in the Tomball Jet terminal. Dont get much traffic over there seeing that everything else is on the east side.

I am almost 90% sure a San Diego location would be at Montgomery Field. I can't see Gillespie, but maybe. Definitely not Brown as it is way too far away from everything, although costs would be low down there. Montgomery has the only ILS in town. (you're not going to get a practice approach to SAN unless it's 2am). I would think that operating cost's at CRQ would be extremely high as well as you start to get pretty close to the RIV location. One thing about opening SoCal locations is that they already have MX at RIV so a San Diego location can fly planes to RIV for MX. This make sense to add additional locations in areas with a large population while ATP's focus has shifted somewhat to privates and add-on ratings. For these ratings people want to stay in their "hometown", instead of having to travel and stay in apartments.

SAN only has one ILS and it takes you out over the ocean agaist the flow of all the other traffic. It wouldn't matter what field they were based out of. When I instructed we flew out of KSEE and I would goto Brown to go touch and goes and it would only add .2 on the hobbs. Also for instrument students and practice approaches we would go from Gillespie and do the ILS at CRQ, VOR to Oceanside, ILS again to CRQ, VOR to Brown then a LOC back into Gillespie. Would come out to around 1.9 and we you would have almost all types of Approaches in one flight. Montgomery makes sense but I could also see them chosing Brown, Gillespie, and even CRQ. I would be willing to bet that Montgomery is the most expensive one to operate out of. Brown and Gillespie being the cheapest.

Wow they are taking foreigners right now? Are they going to let them instruct as well? Are all locations up now as well with the flying over all? It didnt seem like every location was doing as well as you made it sound. Even at 100 a month right now, where's that leave ya in the end of things when people arent hiring? What are most people doing around there these days? Just wondering more or less.sssssssssssssssss

I do not work for ATP. Where does 100 hours a month leave me when no one is hiring? It leaves me north of 2,000 tt and all my ratings where as everyone else is trying to play catchup for the next hiring wave. 100 hours a month was a very conservative estimate by the way.

I wonder where they will train in Charlotte? Getting out of that Class Bravo airspace will be tricky.:panic:

These guys are crooks. The ripped me off for $50,000 and all I got was a couple ratings. They have examiners who bust guys for minimal things enough times to get them kicked out of the program. After that the Examiner asks you to come to him for "instruction" and he will guarantee you pass your checkride "next time" How this company gets away with this is staggering.

Sounds like someome coulden't keep up.

It's definitely opening in MYF, we saw them there last week.

According to the website ATP is going to have 5 new locations, San Diego, Oakland, Indianapolis, Charlotte, and Tampa. I wonder if they are simply going to be shuffling planes around from the less busy locations or if they are ordering more. It's kind of interesting they are doing this when business is supposedly down. San Diego is opening Feb 9 and there are no dates for the other new locations as of now.

I have been wanting to move from Hawaii to Phoenix to enroll at ATP. Now that there is a San Diego location, my choice is a tough one to make.

Is there anyone that knows anything about the San Diego location opening up in February? housing,getting around town,facility condition etc. I have been to the Phoenix location and liked what I saw. I heard the San Diego location will be at Montgomery airport. Ive only seen this airport in the King Schools videos. Thanks.

LOL... that's alright, when my flight partner and I went there for our CFI years ago... he kept calling it Peter O'toole. On the radio's, in the pattern, and he even did it on his checkride twice. :)

Does anyone know where the Tampa location will be?

From some stuff I have heard, it sounds like it may be over in St. Pete (KPIE, maybe?). I know ATP doesn't fly to Peter O'Knight nearly as much as they did a few years ago. Now it is mainly if they have a MEI checkride there. I think the reasons include the "short" runways and the close proximity to MacDill AFB and maybe price of fuel there.

Thanks guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any definite information about the location. I guess I'll find out in the upcoming months.

This is very interesting... I remember when I worked at ATP RIV about a year ago, they stopped us from flying into MYF. No reason given. We could still go to SEE, SDM, CRQ which made it even more strange. If they end up putting a location at MYF, that would be nice. Its probably the best place for them.

Back