Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings (AAWW) Enters Agreement with Amazon (AMZN) To Provide Air Cargo Service

It is good for the company as a whole if they can find the pilots to do the flying. It is bad if they can't get pilots.

Now for the current pilots at Atlas, it is way to early to tell if it is good or bad. It could go either way.

Can't it be used as a bargaining chip?

"Y'all just got a whole bunch more flying. How do you plan on staffing it? Maybe with a more attractive pay scale and schedule?"

I've stayed away from the 121 cargo ops simply because of the schedule. It takes a special kind of person to be gone from home for such long stretches.

How much lead time are they forecasting? Or, in laymen terms, when is this bulk of flying going to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't it be used as a bargaining chip?

"Y'all just got a whole bunch more flying. How do you plan on staffing it? Maybe with a more attractive pay scale and schedule?"

I've stayed away from the 121 cargo ops simply because of the schedule. It takes a special kind of person to be gone from home for such long stretches.

Could be, but the fact that they released this info the day before our strike vote closes makes me think they have nefarious plans.

The schedule is a challenge, we are still getting used to it. Having a phone with an international plan helps. The long stretches on the road are tough, but the long stretches at home are awesome. In March I went on a week long cruise and didn't have to use any vacation days.

So what do the cancelled classes have to do with then?

(Serious. Non-troll)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IOE backlog, sim scheduling issues, and upgrades. No real conspiracy theory.

As for the whipsaw talk, I just don't see a company with 1 jet (Florida West) hiring 300 pilots and adding 20 jets by next year at ~$40,000/year, but that's me. The press release says we (Atlas Air, Inc.) will operate these jets anyway, so it's moot unless that changes. The whipsaw tactic works pretty well in the regional world where pilots are lining up with low time and hopes of a quick upgrade. Whipsawing Atlas against a company that pays far less doesn't really work in the current market. There's just no reason for anyone to rush over to Florida West.

No koolaid here, just a realistic viewpoint.

Last edited:
I can see some folks jumping over there for the type, but I can see "my friend" saying, "What the deuce were you thinking?"

I can see some folks jumping over there for the type, but I can see "my friend" saying, "What the deuce were you thinking?"
I guess, but that's the kind of crap we did in 2009-2010 when nobody was hiring. 2016? Hell, plenty of RJ guys I know won't even consider Atlas, much less Florida West. Lots of options everywhere.

But again, it's moot for now. Currently those jets are slated to be flown by pilots on the Atlas seniority list. We can drum up all sorts of storyline about this and that in order to rile ourselves up, but it's all pretty much just made up. I'd rather just go with what we know: Atlas pilots are supposed to fly this, and we need to use that information to push for an industry-standard CBA.

I guess, but that's the kind of crap we did in 2009-2010 when nobody was hiring. 2016? Hell, plenty of RJ guys I know won't even consider Atlas, much less Florida West. Lots of options everywhere.

But again, it's moot for now. Currently those jets are slated to be flown by pilots on the Atlas seniority list. We can drum up all sorts of storyline about this and that in order to rile ourselves up, but it's all pretty much just made up. I'd rather just go with what we know: Atlas pilots are supposed to fly this, and we need to use that information to push for an industry-standard CBA.

You're correct.

I think I've just seen way too many resumes in the past year that I've pretty much lost faith in the decision-making ability of a surprising number of people in our trade.

I might be misinformed, but doesnt the Polar side hold A LOT of critical flying rights in asia that would throw the biggest wrench in the history of wrench throwing if they were to lose that?

If they're THAT short, I'll come over as a street captain. But only if I get to make the 30 dudes I know who have gotten on there in the last 6 months do the walk around. NON-Negotiable, as Slick Goodlin would say.

If they're THAT short, I'll come over as a street captain. But only if I get to make the 30 dudes I know who have gotten on there in the last 6 months do the walk around. NON-Negotiable, as Slick Goodlin would say.

This I would pay to see.

I can't wait until you're my FO so I could completely break your spirit and rebuild you into a true submariner.

We're talking like a MCRN Marine, but in a Navy double-breasted uniform and the cup of coffee I just had you FETCH in your hand.

(Sorry, Cinco de Mayo and I'm bored)

I might be misinformed, but doesnt the Polar side hold A LOT of critical flying rights in asia that would throw the biggest wrench in the history of wrench throwing if they were to lose that?

There are no Polar pilots, per say. You have Atlas Air Global, which owns Atlas, Polar, Titan (and now Southern and Florida West...but that don't matter right now). All pilots are Atlas, we have two basically identical operating certificates, one says Atlas, the other says Polar. All pilots are Atlas pilots.

We're talking like a MCRN Marine, but in a Navy double-breasted uniform and the cup of coffee I just had you FETCH in your hand.

Then I show up in a raggedy ass flight suit (to make ATN's forehead artery burst) and hand you a Kambucha. "Everything is AOK skipper, let's cheat death again!"

Then, somehow, I'm in prison. I try not to think about that last part.

I was BORN on the Cant, son! :D

Then I show up in a raggedy ass flight suit (to make ATN's forehead artery burst) and hand you a Kambucha. "Everything is AOK skipper, let's cheat death again!"

Then, somehow, I'm in prison. I try not to think about that last part.

I was BORN on the Cant, son! :D

You still OPA, well walla!

Back