Atlantic Coast Airlines

I've been hearing the same rumors. Supposedly there was an article on Yahoo business news that said that UAL was going to give ACA and Skywest the 70 seaters, but I havn't found it.

From the uproar in UAL's ALPA chapter, I'd say the rumors are likely true.

Furloughs.

We also have a Delta Connection operation that would keep the company going until we could hopefully find another customer or set up shop as a low fare carrier.

I'm sure that the company brass is considering all kinds of contingency plans.

Personally, I am certain that UA will recover eventually, and that, in the meantime, we will probably pick up some additional routes.

The new rumor du jour is that ACA is negotiating with Continental to replace Gulfstream as a ConEx carrier in MIA. The rumor goes that Continental wants jets and Gulfstream doesn't have the wherewithal to get them.

Dave,

Do you think there's any truth to that rumor? Florida is such a low yield market......the fact that Gulfstream is making money with the Mighty Beech is astonishing! I don't think jets would work out down there.

BTW....how's the J-41 treating you,a friend of mine flew them for ACA before he went to SWA. He liked them....but then again he flew the J-31 before that!

Honestly, I figured that it's just somebody's wishful thinking.

I love flying the 41. It's a great airplane to transition to turbines on. Gotta get over to the CRJ to make some $$ though.

So how do airlines like ACA work? Do they just get a contract with United and Delta with a set payment? Or does it depend on how many passengers ACA carries? Does ACA sell tickets on its own?

-Brian

We work on a fee-for-departure basis. Delta and UAL pay us for each flight regardless of how many pax are on board. Ticket sales are done through DAL and UAL.

How does the bridge program to ACA from ERAU work, and is it doing well, if not now perhaps in the future? I'm getting ready to move down to Daytona and start the 4 yr Aero Science program. And since I've got all my ratings (Commercial Single, Multi, and Instrument) outside of school, and taken all the basic (english,math,etc.) courses at a local community college, I've been able to save some money. The program sounds really great, and I'll be enrolling as a Junior at ERAU and in two years, I'll be done. Any input on the program from anyone?

All I know is my friend graduated from ERAU and then instructed for them. Then was hired onto ACA and was furloughed 125 hours later. Word is the recall will be within a year. ????????
confused.gif

Hey Dave,

Any input about the internship at ACA?
I'm a transfer student starting out at ERAU Daytona
with my Commercial Single/Multi/Instrument already done
off-campus with a Junior standing.
Thanks.

NC-

I happend to visit my friend this weekend who was in that internship. He said it was the best thing he ever did. He went to riddle and graduated with a 4.0 I looked at his transcript two days ago and not one B. All A's. Then I proceeded to call him a psycho. But anyways, he worked at the intership for a while making his way around the different departments. The best one was working at the HR/hiring dept. He said the applications literally sat on his desk every day. Contacts are everything with ACA.
He got hired on through the bridge program with 650TT and one hundred something multi. he sat right seat in the CRJ out of CHicago. He was furloughed 3 months later, and is now instructing in SFO area awaiting a recall.

From what I hear, it is HIGHLY competitive to get into the program. I can't begin to tell you about what he said he had to do to get in.

All I can say is he is very positive about the outlook of the airline and is convinced they will be giving jetblue and others like them a run for their money.

I hope for his sake he is right.

Of course, Dave can add anything further that I didn't talk about.

thanks for the input, they have not said very much on this end, we are being told the estimated time for things to get better with the internship at ACA is around two years.

The friend I have on furlough was told that his recall MAY possibly come up in one year from now! That's depressing for both he and I!

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, NC.

I don't know a lot about the internship program, except what I've heard from the interns. I do that the program is still active. I believe that the interns are guaranteed an interview when their internship is completed and hiring is being done.

I'd say that your advisors at ERAU would probably have better information on the mechanics of becoming and intern.

Good luck.

Thanks for the insight,

Alot of the advisors actually don't know what is going on,
which is not alot of help to us, so I wanted to hear what was going on the other side. Now they are just telling us to hope....
Thats not very re-asuring to hear on this end from the advisors.
Thanks again for the info, and if you have any advice or hear anything please let me know, at this point you are the only one who has an idea of what is going on.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again for the info, and if you have any advice or hear anything please let me know, at this point you are the only one who has an idea of what is going on

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a scary thought!

Someone showed me this the other day.

Him: [Holding up thumb and pointer finger to form an "L."] Do you know what this is?

Me: No

Him: It's the lower left corner of the big picture and that's all that I can see.

Hey NC,
I am a current senior at ERAU and the internships are really competitive. I know for the bridge program you need atleast a 3.8 to be even considered based on the other applicants. They only take a small amount of students with most having 3.9 4.0. It makes me sick. I am stuck at a 3.2 but hey it could be worse I guess. I think you did the right thing with getting your ratings and also getting those classes out of the way. You might want to make sure they all transfer in though because one of my friends got screwed with that. I do have a friend that is leaving for the ACA internship in Jan. I have heard that if you get the bridge you are pretty much hired unless you are a smart ass and no one likes you. I mean hired based on the idea that they are hiring. I think you get a nice type rating while there too. I am not sure if they still do that but I know at one time they did. Once you do the bridge you are kinda on your own to build time but after you have the mins you just send in your app and wait. I hope this helped a little. Good luck...If you have any questions about ERAU just hit me up and I can tell you what I know. Give you the best professors too.

Back