Atlantic Coast Airlines

davetheflyer

ACA has canceled a couple of classes toward the end of the year, but things are still on track and I've heard that ACA is planning to hire 300+ next year. The company is still accepting resumes.

It's a great company to work for and this is a fantastic time to be here. We have added numerous routes and are taking delivery of a multitude of new CRJs.

Qualifications are:

Must possess a valid passport upon completion of training
Have authorization to work in the United States
Have 1,800 hours total time, 350 multi-engine
Have 1,500 hours total time, 250 multi-engine, with a four year degree
Have 1,000 hours total time, 375 multi-engine with an aviation degree or military flight school graduation, 200 hours part 121 experience
Have 600 hours total time, 100 multi-engine for special "Bridge" programs normally associated with aviation universities. (helicopter time counts towards these figures, but you must have 200 hours fixed wing time and current in fixed wing aircraft)
Have the proper U.S. Licenses & Certificates
Hold a current FAA Class II medical certificate
Hold a Class I medical
Pass FAA-mandated drug test & PRIA background check
Be able to read, and speak English clearly and fluently
Hold a commercial license
Have a Radiotelephone Operator's Permit
We prefer our pilots to have an ATP license

Apply via fax to (703) 650-6480 (Attn: Shawn Nicol / Pilot Recruiting);
mail to Atlantic Coast Airlines 515 Shaw Road, Dulles, VA 20166; or
email to pilotresumes@atlanticcoast.com

Just in case anybody wonders, this is all available on atlanticcoast.com and it cut and pasted from there. I'm not involved in hiring in any way, but I'll help you if I can. Good luck.
cool.gif

I'm currently a college senior graduating in May in the greater-Washington, D.C. area. Enlisted in the Air National Guard, yet looking to earn a commission and a pilot slot. My ambitions are to fly military and work my way to commercial. I'm currently a student pilot and should finish my private by graduation in May.

I've looked at openings with ACA, because as I wait to get my license and something lined up with the military, I figure getting an intro job w/ an airline may be good just to get my foot in the door within the aviation industry.

What would you say about a person with my qualifications and ambitions taking an intro job like Crew Scheduler, or Training Scheduler, would that be a good way to get my foot in the door for someone who wants to eventually fly for the airlines? And how do you view the people and work environment for ACA?

If ever in the DC area, I would be willing to catch up just to talk about the industry.

I'm not sure what the qualifications are for schedulers, etc., but I think that ACA is hiring for just about all positions. I do know that Flight Attendant positions are being filled constantly. I think that taking one of these jobs to get a foot in the door is a good idea. I know several flight attendants who are working on their ratings and planning to get a pilot slot when they build some time. There are probably other people in other areas of the company that are doing the same thing.

I know that some companies will guarantee an interview to former employees who get a commercial license with a specified number of hours. I'm not sure about ACA's policy on this, but it couldn't hurt.

What's a schedule like for say a flight attendant and/or a scheduler? I know the wage for scheduler's, but how's the pay for a flight attendant? I was also wondering, what type of benefits as far as practical experience can one obtain from doing either/or, such as what aspects of flying might these jobs help with later on--or is it more or less a way to earn a paycheck and begin networking in the aviation industry?

This is from Skywest's website:

1. After you successfully complete Initial New Hire training, you are guaranteed 75 flight hours as a reserve, whether you fly 1 hour or 75 hours, you are paid for 75 flight hours.

2. The hourly rate is $17.50 per flight hour, $1312.50 per month, $15,750.00 per year at 75 flight hours per month. After six months, it raises to $18.00 per hour. After one year, it raises to $19.46 per flight hour, $1459.50 a month, $17,514.00 per year at 75 flight hours per month. We are the highest paying regional in the industry.

3. In addition, you are paid $1.60 per diem for every hour you are on duty away from your domicile. Average monthly amount is between $200.00 to $400.00.

4. Once you are off reserve, schedules average 87 flight hours per month. The maximum hours you may fly is 120 hours per month and the minimum hours you may fly is 62.5.

5. Vacation and personal use days are accrued according to hours worked. We also have six paid holidays.

6. In addition to your pay and per diem, you will also receive the quarterly bonus once you have been employed for two years.

7. You will receive a yearly raise on your anniversary date and a cost of living raise, which is re-evaluated yearly.

Crew scheduling would be an interesting job. You'll get a real good feel for the pilot schedules and work rules. You'll also get to know all the little tricks they use in "recruiting" pilots to fill open trips. Another thing is you'll get to know all the other schedulers so when you get on the other side of the phone they might be less apt to screw up your schedule!

On the other hand, I would hate to be the one calling a pilot at 5am on his day off to "junior man" him for a trip that day!

FAs and schedulers have different contracts than the pilots, so I'm a little out of my area there.

Atlanticcoast.com says that FAs work from 75-90 hours per month. I know that FAs make less than pilots, but they also receive annual raises. The requirements are:

Possess valid passport by the beginning of training
Be at least 20 years of age or 18 with formal flight attendant schooling
Possess a high school diploma or GED
Have 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes
Be able to legally work in the United States
Have at least two years Customer Service experience
Be able to perform frequent repetitive motions for extended periods of time

Push, pull, and move a beverage cart that can weigh up to 100lbs.

Lift a 35 pound suitcase from the floor to 33 inches

Lift a 35 pound suitcase from 33 inches to 65 inches

Possess the physical ability to reach and operate all emergency equipment and exits

Be able to read and comprehend written instructions and communicate effectively in English.

As for schedulers, they work four days on, three days off. I don't know how long each shift lasts. Requirements for schedulers are:

Are at least 18 years old
Pass a mandatory drug screening
Complete 10 year background and security check that meets company standards
Compy with company grooming and appearance standards
Satisfactorily complete required training
Work well under pressure
Possess excellent problem solving capabilities
Possess excellent communication skills
Able to read and comprehend oral and written instructions and procedures in English
Speak English fluently and clearly

Some of our schedulers and dispatchers move up to the right seat. I have been told that they can do so with the same flight time qualifications as the bridge program interns. I would say it is a good way to get your foot in the door, but scheduling has got to be a pretty tough job!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but scheduling has got to be a pretty tough job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I get the impression that schedulers take quite a bit of abuse sometimes. Of course, I would never do such a thing.
laugh.gif

Naaah, youre a good guy, Dave! I hear "evil" scheduler stories, but they are usually very nice to me.

No, the J41's will go and will be replaced by CRJ's. The DoJets are not in production anymore because Fairchild-Dornier went belly up. I dont think there are any plans at this time to expand our Delta Connection operation, but that is way above my pay grade. If we picked up any DoJets right now, it would be to expand our increasingly busy charter operation, known as ACA Private Shuttle. The latest hot rumor at ACA is the 70 pax CRJ, but we all know better than to believe anything until we see it with our own eyes.

I agree with your J41 assessment. The timetable for the J41's retirement is still the subject of much speculation and rumor, but the latest generally agreed on date for the last J41 is April 2004.

From time to time, I hear rumors that somebody is going to start building DoJets again, but as yet, it's only rumor. The DoJet would be a logical choice to replace the J41 since a lot of our routes would be overkill for the CRJ due to light loads and very short flying times.

I havn't heard the one about the CRJ 70. The last I heard, we were not slated to get them for a long, long time.

Oh, sure, havent you Dulles guys heard that we get the 70 seaters this spring, followed by the CRJ-900 and 737's early next year? Dont they tell you anything down there?
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No there not getting a B-737, nor a CRJ-900 in the spring.. It's just a Joke buddy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Although with Kerry Skeen in charge, nothing would surprise me.

Rumors are always flying around fast and furious.

Amen to both of the above statements. Supposedly (not to churn the rumor mill) UAL is pushing for the UEX carriers to fly CRJ-700's as part of its business plan for recovery. Right now, it is a "wait and see" situation.

Back