ATL A350 claims CRJ Tail

On a serious note :
If you’re that RJ, with air stairs, are you evacuating down the air stairs?
They likely have no idea what kinda damage they have, likely cant imagine that the tail is gone. Are you waiting to hear from ARFF or reports from tower?

From some ATc videos floating around, seems possible the 350 was distracted with some sort of issue, ecam or something maybe, and was taken out of takeoff line and told to hold short of V to sort it out.

On a serious note :
If you’re that RJ, with air stairs, are you evacuating down the air stairs?
They likely have no idea what kinda damage they have, likely cant imagine that the tail is gone. Are you waiting to hear from ARFF or reports from tower?

If there was a need for an emergency evac, such as a fire, it’s an exit like any other that would just have to be cleared. Don’t see an issue using it if a look out the main door exits can clear it of any active fire or other hazards besides the tail sitting on the ground. Luckily here, apart from the major structural damage, there appears to have been no other immediate danger.

If there was a need for an emergency evac, such as a fire, it’s an exit like any other that would just have to be cleared. Don’t see an issue using it if a look out the main door exits can clear it of any active fire or other hazards besides the tail sitting on the ground. Luckily here, apart from the major structural damage, there appears to have been no other immediate danger.
That’s not really what I’m saying. Of course the air stairs could be used , but Does the fact that it has air stairs make it more likely that you (WWYD) would consider an “evac”. Would you (the collective you) evac in this scenario if you were the RJ crew.

That’s not really what I’m saying. Of course the air stairs could be used , but Does the fact that it has air stairs make it more likely that you (WWYD) would consider an “evac”. Would you (the collective you) evac in this scenario if you were the RJ crew.

Airstairs are a fully viable evac exit. I’ve personally seen them utilized on a taxiway evac of a 727 that had landed on RW 26L at PHX and had a hung brake that started smoking badly exiting the runway.

Or if ARFF is taking a long time to get there… hear me out… use the air stairs for the FO to leave the aircraft and inspect the tail and decide what to do. It worked for Lufthansa! 🤣

View: https://youtu.be/2fs9HcdhUFI?si=edSp086HOOjL2yXK

Some have cameras, but none of the cameras will show the wingtips. It’s basically “am I on the taxiway, where are the trucks, am I on centerline, cool look at me, I’m the king of the world standing on the tail!”

Besides, if you’re using a camera when spacing is questionable, it’s probably best to stop.

I’ve been flying/taxiing the 747 for 9 years and I still feel like I’m about to hit everything. Even if you look at your wingtips, it’s such a bad angle that you can’t really tell. I’d love to see some laser pointers that shine down to the ramp and if those clear an obstacle, the wingtips will.

Airstairs are a fully viable evac exit. I’ve personally seen them utilized on a taxiway evac of a 727 that had landed on RW 26L at PHX and had a hung brake that started smoking badly exiting the runway.
Yes, my question is, would you have ordered an evac in this case. And would the availability of air stairs help make that decision?

Yes, my question is, would you have ordered an evac in this case. And would the availability of air stairs help make that decision?

In this case here at ATL, if there’s no immediate threat of fire, and if opening a door can confirm that, I’d personally not have a bunch of pax evac’ing onto an active taxiway area. With no threat besides some structural damage, I’d personally keep them onboard until a bus can come take them. Whether that normal deplaning happens via a stair truck or via the aft airstairs, is all the same.

I’ve been flying/taxiing the 747 for 9 years and I still feel like I’m about to hit everything. Even if you look at your wingtips, it’s such a bad angle that you can’t really tell. I’d love to see some laser pointers that shine down to the ramp and if those clear an obstacle, the wingtips will.
First it was sharks with freakin laser beams on their heads, now it’s whales with freakin laser beams on their wings??

No. Rear mounted engines with no fire indication, normal engine parameters, nothing out of the ordinary other than the tail damage, my vote is stay on.

Some have cameras, but none of the cameras will show the wingtips. It’s basically “am I on the taxiway, where are the trucks, am I on centerline, cool look at me, I’m the king of the world standing on the tail!”

Besides, if you’re using a camera when spacing is questionable, it’s probably best to stop.

I'm honestly surprised camera technology hasn't come along farther in commercial airliners. You can get 360 degree cameras in a lot of cars nowadays, it can't be that difficult to implement something similar rather cost effectively in airliners.

Back