ATC Pay Scale

I think that applies well generally to ARTCC/tracons.
When I visited my future tower (a level 6) I was told that once you certify on ground you get a payraise over 10k. However they only have ground and local, so that would constitute 50% of positions.

At a place with clearance/ground/local, then when you certify on clearance, you will have checked out on 33% of positions... (which I imagine they'd have to give you a raise to D2)

That makes sense... and you'd hope they give you a raise to D2 if you check out on 33%, but it's the FAA so who knows :crazy:

How much more can an ATCer expect to make beyond the standard base salary?

For example, if the CPC rate with locality is 50k/year, how much would you likely gross that year with overtime, sunday and night pay, and other various pay?

From what I read, it seems like pay could be significantly higher depending on the overtime, hrs worked, etc.

(ex. At my current job, my base is around 50, but I generally average an extra 5k from various work rules. However with significant overtime, I could make an extra 35+)

well if you work an 8 hour shift on sunday that is basically 5% more

( 8 hrs * 25% premium = 2 hrs premium pay ; 2 hrs / 40 hrs = .05 )

also Night Shift Differential is 10% so say 16 of your hours qualify that would be another 4%. This would probably be about typical if you work at an ARTCC i was told you work 2 swings and one mid shift per week.

( 16 hrs * 10% premium = 1.6 hrs premium pay ; 1.6 hrs / 40 hrs = .04 )

So basically when your certified or whenever you start working all shifts as long as you work sunday then you will get about 9% more at a minimum

also if you averaged just one 8 hr OT per month that would be about an additional 7%.

That blows my mind for the guys topped out under the old rules making like 170 k base + locality then add like between 10 - 20 % for OT and Diffs. Some of these guys are grossing around 200k. Not too shabby. The Vice Prez got 212,208 in 07' I wonder if anyone made more than him?

hey when you make statement like that you show how little you know about the ATC retirement at 30 years in FERS my retirement will be between $117,000 and $120,000 a year adding up my FERS.SSI sup and and drawing $30.000 from my TSP a year. an ATC-12 at C90 bottem of the pay band is $94,000.

I do concur that you will be making more retired then us checked out, it great isnt it? I think the other guy either forgot about or didnt know that you get a Social Security Supplement till 62 and you can set up an annuity with your TSP.

Question though... Does knowing youll get that much at like 50 make it hard to stay and work till 56?

How much more can an ATCer expect to make beyond the standard base salary?

For example, if the CPC rate with locality is 50k/year, how much would you likely gross that year with overtime, sunday and night pay, and other various pay?

From what I read, it seems like pay could be significantly higher depending on the overtime, hrs worked, etc.

(ex. At my current job, my base is around 50, but I generally average an extra 5k from various work rules. However with significant overtime, I could make an extra 35+)

I have always used the rule of 15% on top of base and COLA and it has served me well.

Hello

I will be taking my AT-SAT on 14 AUG and have a question about pay while at OKC. I know its $8.50 per hr plus per diem but is Locality also added on top of that?

Hello

I will be taking my AT-SAT on 14 AUG and have a question about pay while at OKC. I know its $8.50 per hr plus per diem but is Locality also added on top of that?

Yes, it says on my tentative offer letter "22,591 per annuam, includes 32.53% locality"

Yours will be lower since I live in the highest cost-of-living area in the nation.

I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but IF i do get selected for this job I will be taking a huge pay cut from my 68K per year that I make now. Locality pay while at OKC will be based on OKC, home of record or you duty location?

I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but IF i do get selected for this job I will be taking a huge pay cut from my 68K per year that I make now. Locality pay while at OKC will be based on OKC, home of record or you duty location?

Should be the duty location of your facility.

(I'll be taking a paycut as well, so I feel your pain.)

I'm with you, from 100k here

i don't know if i'd be looking for a new career if i was already making 6 figures. no offense, i don't know your situation, but thats just how i see it

money != happiness.
and low 6 figures isn't a lot. However it's a lot to gamble on a complete unknown. I especially love when people give me the whole "you're not serious about doing this" lecture. :rolleyes:

I don't have a lot of savings but I have a healthy 401k I can tap if need be and have sold everything not bolted down, so I'm fortunate in that regard.

This has been touched on a little earlier in the thread, but I wanted to ask something specific to my interests.

I have limited to no control over where I will be placed, but I've listed Texas, Tarrant/Dallas counties as a preference.

I had hoped not to get thrown into DFW or ZFW due to the high learning curve. But I also have concerns about airports I would like to be placed at. Let's assume I get placed at KAFW, a level 5 facility. After certification the minimum base pay is 38,700 plus 18.75% locality, max is $52,100.

Does this mean that, upon my certification, I will only make $46,000.00 for the rest of my career unless I move to a different facility? ATLTRACON has already dismissed the performance increases as laughable, so I'll just rule them out. How else do you climb to that max pay band, or can you at all?

I know money is the wrong reason to get into this business (and it's certainly not my drive behind applying), but at some point I have to sit back and realize that I may want to own a house some day. AFW looked a lot more appealing when I thought I could end up making the Max pay band ($52,100.00, times locality pay would be $62,000.00). But I'm getting the impression that isn't realistic. Can anyone either confirm or console my fears? Thanks.

Does this mean that, upon my certification, I will only make $46,000.00 for the rest of my career unless I move to a different facility? ATLTRACON has already dismissed the performance increases as laughable, so I'll just rule them out. How else do you climb to that max pay band, or can you at all?

Sorry to say but yes, as a CPC you will only make $46K. You can add on about 10%, maybe 15%, since you'll eventually be working Sundays, holidays and nights. That is why it is so wise to think about where you want to go, not just where you want to be because the area is so nice but more, where can you survive on the pay. The last statement is not directed at you but more as a general statement to all new applicants.

HD

I'm touring AFW today and intend on at least asking about the pay situation while I'm there. If it meshes with what you said, I'll probably pull the level 5 airports off my preference lists then (not that it really matters, again I'll be put where needed).

I nearly make that pay working an entry level job for a mortgage company (and we all know how well mortgage companies are doing these days).

That's really disappointing to hear. But I appreciate the help.

No you will not be there for the rest of your career. You will still get your OSI regardless of personal performance. And unless your a horrible employee youll get some SCI's too. It might take longer than before but you will still top out, probably in like 10 years or so. But they most likely will keep increasing the top of the band so you'll be fighting that too. My wife works for the FAA in tech ops and is in the Core Comp pay plan which now has the same raises as ATSPP and she hasnt had a year yet with less than a 5% raise.

Back