ATC flight deck training returns

Pilots can have beards nowadays.
Small handful of airlines and some are still pretty strict on jumpseaters not having them too. There’s even a popup warning when you list on AA that says they won’t let you jumpseat with a beard.
Sucks I don’t see a time where I’ll be allowed to have one, but I’m sure my wife is grateful.
 
Small handful of airlines and some are still pretty strict on jumpseaters not having them too. There’s even a popup warning when you list on AA that says they won’t let you jumpseat with a beard.
Sucks I don’t see a time where I’ll be allowed to have one, but I’m sure my wife is grateful.
I had a pretty good one going by the middle of my 34 days off in August/September
 
They’ve re-approved flight deck training for controllers so if any of y’all got flights out of PHL or EWR and wouldn’t mind some company let’s coordinate (so long as I don’t have to shave my beard)
I just confirmed that jumpseaters with beards are allowed at UPS. Philly is a big hub for UPS but the outbounds leave between about 2 and 5am, so there's that.
 
Did Hawaiian do away with it after the merger?

Yes. The VP of Flight Ops and CP swore that it was a safety issue. Their evidence was a 1980s study by the FAA (on mask only systems) and a marking on the EOS mask in some of the planes that warms beards may not seal. They ignored the 3 more recent studies done that show there is no issue with a mask sealing around a beard. When called out on that fact they doubled down and maintained it was about safety.

I think if they had just come out and said it was a marketing thing, guys would have been angry and then moved on, but instead they blew what little credibility they had with the pilots by basically lying about the reasons.
 
If you ever want to ride on one of those Brown airplanes that does 115kts inside of final give me a heads up. I’ll even share my catering 🙂. From some of the stuff I see around here your beard is the least of our worries.

You can always catch a morning flight out 9am ish and be back for dinner. Might even get to ride on the whale.
 
I know this is mainly a 121 thing, but if any ATC want to ride dirty low and slow right seat in a part 135 operation, I can make that happen. I know the chief pilot.
Yeah, it would be nice to have some experience from the corporate side. I have had some odd requests because the jet in front of you was able to do it. The Globals are a bit slower than other aircraft in its class, and we have to remind controllers that when we hear them line up a Lear or Challenger behind us, there could be a 40-knot speed differential down final. Lots of please speed up but I can't when I am coming in very light, and my REF is 99 knots.
 
I wouldn't say I've seen this much until really the last couple days. But those days have been a free-for-all of center controllers giving 45-90 deg off STAR vectors, descending us late and slowing us down excessively, and then 4000+ feet above path with said speed restrictions just suddenly saying "okay now descend via". you gotta be f***king f***king me dude. This is something id like them to see. It is truly a safety of flight concern. Just put me on vectors you •ing unimaginative f*** hole. You don't get to have it both ways. That is specifically for ABQ center if you're on freq right now you f**iking a***holes. Also zero TCAS traffic, no "sequence", just "f-you and the end of your 8th hour of flying two legs all afternoon/evening". Guess that's why they pay us the big bucks cause we didn't f it up, but I know people out there do.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top