At least 1 dead as plane with 7 aboard crashes into lake

You misunderstand me. I’m saying crop duster seems to have a major superiority complex and thinks that he’s the only one in the sky who knows how to fly vor to vor and that because he’s so awesome we should throw out the last 30 years of technological advancements. Yes, there’s probably still a major competence problem out there in 135/91 land but going back to mechanical gyros and ADFs ain’t gonna fix it.
I mean, considering anyone that flies out west has probably regularly had their GPS jammed, it's more of an "oh no!" Anyway." kind of thing with IRS/DME/DME, etc.
Now all this talk about gyros has me hungry.

Personally, I'm fearing for that day - which will come soon - when some congested sector loses RADAR and GPS at the same time on a busy IMC day. That's when imma be eating popcorn, watching the smoking holes pop like so many zits, morbidly chuckling, and thinking, "told you so".

People say I'm excessively pessimistic on here, but wow.

Worst thing that will happen is a lot of long ATC delays. Not sure how VOR to VOR non-radar is comparable to instrument failures/ partial panel.

Just in case it wasnt apparent - I wasn't flexing. When I'm shooting approaches to mins on the six pack and janky autopilot I'm prepared and at 110% alertness. If things start to get weird I'll see it right away and go missed.

If I was back in the Beechjunk and I lost both PFDs going into the clouds there would certainly be a second or three of "OH FUUUU" before hopefully getting my head together and flying the teeny tiny backups to a safe altitude and heading

The only time we ever had to hand fly / shoot an approach on backups in the sim we had a few seconds to get everything stable and your head in the game before flipping to Emer power.

TL;DR If you're ahead of the airplane and not surprised you can be a hero. If you're surprised you need to rely on superior airmanship. Bad place to be.

Last edited:
I mean, considering anyone that flies out west has probably regularly had their GPS jammed, it's more of an "oh no!" Anyway." kind of thing with IRS/DME/DME, etc.
Now all this talk about gyros has me hungry.
Pretty much every night I fly to Florida from Vegas. *Ding*ADS-B 1 and 2 fault.

Pretty much every night I fly to Florida from Vegas. *Ding*ADS-B 1 and 2 fault.
I remember on my captain IOE trying to get around some pretty gnarly thunderstorms around southern UT in solid turbulence and IMC getting a laundry list of blue EICAS messages. "WHAT THE.... oh, yeah, Area 51 or something."

If I was back in the Beechjunk and I lost both PFDs going into the clouds there would certainly be a second or three of "OH FUUUU" before hopefully getting my head together and flying the teeny tiny backups to a safe altitude and heading

The only time we ever had to hand fly / shoot an approach on backups in the sim you had a few seconds to get everything stable and your head in the game before flipping to Emer power.
A Brasilia crew at previous-employer—I forget the exact sequence of events and cause, but something happened that resulted in a complete electrical failure in IMC near the final approach fix in mountainous terrain because is there any other time for that, and compounding the situation, the auto-transfer that was supposed to happen to keep the flight instruments on, did not happen either. The Captain, in a moment of complete genius, quickly reached up and hit the emergency transfer switch, doing what the electrical system should have done automatically, which gave them their flight instruments back and enough to land.

"Code brown!"

In any context... a change in one's inertial reference frame must first be noticed before it can be dealt with. For us humans, math is typically hard. Most of us do not internalize and make intuitive the concept of, say, L = (1/2) d v2 s CL. Those that do typically become astronauts or aeronatical engineers. Therefore, we more evolutionarily common humans must apprehend our world and identify changes to it first through our asses. It's our assess that first alert us to look at our instruments, verify the truth of the situation, and make the required adjustments.

Luxury cars and SUVs and other rolling Barka-loungers are soft and squishy and quite comfortable. They are made for lazy people. They are made to be massive and comfortable and to require little user input. In a comfortable Caddy enclosure, with a comfortable Caddy attitude, by the time you recognize something's changed, you're probably already in the ditch.

Race cars are not comfortable. They are designed with hard suspensions. They are designed to translate reality to the ass of the driver in as expeditious a fashion as possible. They demand a certain attitude and level of awareness. They, like airplanes, work best when the ass of their driver is also exremely firm. That way the message gets transmitted clearly and quickly.

If you're a pilot or a race car driver (or a human in a stressed biosphere), it's best to be a hard ass.

If you're a pilot or a race car driver (or a human in a stressed biosphere), it's best to be a hard ass.
Yeah, I'm also shuttling 150 people from Minnesota to Disney while sipping coffee in a multiple redundant flying applicance, not going wheel to wheel with Lewis Hamilton. I think we can bring the intensity down a notch.
Also, uhh, isn't listening to your body Instrument Rating 101 of "ways you can get yourself killed"?

Ok, I'll revert from the 6th grade version to the 3rd grade version:

Just always pay attention to what you're doing - at least while you're doing it. (Extra credit for self-study while "off duty".)

Understand now? Is that better?

They are made for lazy people. They are made to be massive and comfortable and to require little user input. In a comfortable Caddy enclosure, with a comfortable Caddy attitude, by the time you recognize something's changed, you're probably already in the ditch.

I feel like this was aimed squarely at @SlumTodd_Millionaire.

I say that not with any degree of disapproval, very much the opposite!

I think we can bring the intensity down a notch.

That's the nature of the thing, though. You have a high probability of going through an entire career (esp. an airline career) without anything going catastrophically wrong. But if things DO go catastrophically wrong, being able to identify, process, and act is very often the difference between a smoking hole and a guest spot on Letterman. eg: Sully or Al Haynes vs. PAL 8303 (or whoever). And, imho, being able to identify, process, and act comes from training, certainly, but also this seemingly mystical thing that's sometimes referred to as "airmanship". I don't think it's mystical, though, it's basically just "paying attention" and "learning" rather than getting to wherever you want to be and phoning it in.

That's the nature of the thing, though. You have a high probability of going through an entire career (esp. an airline career) without anything going catastrophically wrong. But if things DO go catastrophically wrong, being able to identify, process, and act is very often the difference between a smoking hole and a guest spot on Letterman. eg: Sully or Al Haynes vs. PAL 8303 (or whoever). And, imho, being able to identify, process, and act comes from training, certainly, but also this seemingly mystical thing that's sometimes referred to as "airmanship". I don't think it's mystical, though, it's basically just "paying attention" and "learning" rather than getting to wherever you want to be and phoning it in.
Yeah, there's a difference between airmanship, keeping up to date with new information, striving to do better, and acting like "Ice Man: The Later Years."

Back