At least 1 dead as plane with 7 aboard crashes into lake

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:Saturday 29 May 2021
Time:10:55
Type:
Silhouette image of generic C501 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Cessna 501 Citation I/SP
Operator:JL&GL Productions LP
MSN:501-0254
First flight:1982
Crew:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Passengers:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Total:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Aircraft damage:Damaged beyond repair
N.gif
United States of America)
Phase:Initial climb (ICL)
Nature:Unknown
Departure airport:Smyrna Airport, TN (MQY/KMQY), United States of America
Destination airport:?
Narrative:
A Cessna Citation I crashed into Percy Priest Lake, shortly after takeoff from Smyrna Airport, Tennessee (MQY).
The aircraft took off from runway 32 at 10:53 and commenced a climbing right hand turn. After reaching 2900 feet the aircraft descended to about 1800 feet before climbing again to 3000 feet. The aircraft then began a rapid descent and impacted the water of Percy Priest Lake.

Weather at the time of the accident included a 1300 feet overcast.

At least 1 dead as plane with 7 aboard crashes into lake (msn.com)

R45181a992ba699616a3cfc7a423fdfda.jpg

I operated out of Smyrna (MQY) for about two weeks straight. They were absolute fixtures at the FBO. Scroll through the article. She's impossible to miss. Eccentric people, but it seemed like they were fundamentally good.

What makes a diet guru a Christian Diet Guru?

Also, her husband (allegedly onboard as well) played Tarzan in the most recent remake.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Cessna Jet broke up in flight.
Dive teams have recovered several components of the plane and human remains from the lake, officials said Sunday.
The debris field is about a half-mile wide, Rutherford County Fire Rescue Capt. John Ingle said.
Operations at the crash site stopped Sunday night and recovery and investigation efforts will resume Monday morning, a news release from the county government said Sunday night.

Sounds like the Cessna Jet broke up in flight.
You can't really base that assumption on the size of an underwater debris field. There could be currents in the water or even wind across the surface, and airplane parts have variable buoyancy.

Her husband, Joe Lara, was typed in the Citation (William Joseph Lara).

Medical had lapsed also, unless it hasn’t been updated yet in OKC.

No comment on the cause of the accident or the pilot’s abilities, however a single pilot owner operator crashing a Citation isn’t helping insurance rates. Sure SR22s are SP also, but those don’t come with 8 fatalities.

Medical had lapsed also, unless it hasn’t been updated yet in OKC.

No comment on the cause of the accident or the pilot’s abilities, however a single pilot owner operator crashing a Citation isn’t helping insurance rates. Sure SR22s are SP also, but those don’t come with 8 fatalities.

I'm curious about the daughter's statement that the plane was forced to make a "quick, controlled landing". I'm wondering if there were cell phone coms prior to the accident.

I'm curious about the daughter's statement that the plane was forced to make a "quick, controlled landing". I'm wondering if there were cell phone coms prior to the accident.
For a hot second, a Reddit thread was up that characterized this accident as no accident, but the deliberate destruction of the aircraft and its occupants—mostly because of the content of that text, apparently.

I guess we'll see about all that.

Back