Asking some info

Hi folks,
Im an European guy who want to become a qualified flight dispatcher! As you maybe know here in EU we don't have any licence , only some countries has their own national licence , eg Germany! Some others haven't a licence at all , eg UK or France. So I looked around and I found some pretty good school like Sheffield in FL. I have just read the GLEIM's Aviation weather and weather services simplified and I found it very interesting! Now I have already started to read the GLEIM's atp prep test book.

All that I want to ask you are the following questions :

-I need a perfect english to come there? Im doing an intense english course and fortunately I was already at a good level...Its good that I take the TOEFL?(the school said no , but Im thinking for the potential future employment, maybe its good to have a fresh english certificate!)
- How are treated foreign students? Are they helped? Can they get through it?
- I have 0 aviation background , is that true that everyone without aviation experience can afford to attend the course? I have read on the website that is possible, but you know I want to hear more comments and not just some testimonials (which would be even false, how can I know that?!)
-All I have to do know is to memorize the GLEIM's bank questions, but its that enough? I need to study also all the small explanations provided inside or not? Or it is just a joke of memory? Won't we study them anymore?
-Im 21 so I can take the certificate but I'll wait until 23 to receive the FAA's licence. Until that moment , its easy to find a job as an assistant flight dispatcher? Without green card can I find job in US?
-I know that SSoA has a long experience (65 years of teaching), but I want to know: are the istructors efficient, confortable and comprehensible even now?

Thanks in advance to everyone who will help me. I'll appreciate that!
A.

Sheffield does teach foreign students, I know there were several in my class. For details on their requirements as far as language requirements, etc. it is probably best to contact the school directly. I will say that when I attended there were a lot of non-US students - some of whom did not have perfect English by any means - and they did pass the course. Also, a lot of people had zero aviation background and likewise passed the course. I will say, whatever your native language or background, be prepared to work hard and study when you get there and you should be OK. Most of the written exam is indeed memorization, and by studying the questions in advance you are giving yourself a good head start. Basically, the questions on the written exam do not have that much to do with the job itself, and that is why they are usually memorized more than deeply studied. Generally speaking, it's best to actually have the license (i.e. be 23 years of age) before job hunting, although it may be possible to find a related job at an airline such as crew scheduling before then. I do not know much about foreign job seekers in the US but I doubt you would be able to find a job at a US airline without finding an employer that is willing to sponsor you - and that is not easily done these days. Probably easier to find a job in another country - however I am not an expert on this matter at all, and once again, Sheffield can probably give you better information on the topic than I can.

Hey euro guy A,
Not sure why you are looking over here for a job. You can go to Jeppesen dispatch school in Germany!
I have dual citizenship and I have been looking to make a move to the EU. There are great jobs over there and more to come. I realize that half the countries do not require a flight dispatcher for airline ops, but that is changing fast.
I just applied to GermanWings! Lufthansa just announced that they are going to move another 60 aircraft over to German Wings. They have 2 positions open, one is Crew Coordinator and the other is what the EU call dispatcher, Flight Operations Officer. You have lots of stuff in your backyard my friend, You are very young and you could even do one of many apprenticeships at Lufthansa or BA or Swiss air.
Take a look at the links I provided below. Tons of info on the EU situation and more links at those links!
A green will take you 5 years and lots of dollars. And the TOFEL is a waste of money unless you want to teach English in the EU or Asia.

I have more info if you like. Just us the private messaging or PM back channel. Good Luck to you.

https://www.eurocockpit.be/pages/what-are-the-rules-in-europe
http://www.airbaltictraining.com/en/training-services/iata-programs/

http://www.airlinedispatch.com/index.html

http://www.eufalda.org/Download/Dispatch Study.pdf

Thank you all for the answers! I appreciate your willingness!
Im already in contact with Sheffield , but I wanted to "listen" some external opinions ..

@ TaxiBack : thank you for all the links above, I've just contacted airbaltictraining because a friend of mine have suggested me that school! In your opinion is that good to go there once I got the licence?
About Jeppesen, its more expensive than Sheffield and in addition if I want the faa licence I have to do a part of the course in Frankfurt and then the remaning in Denver,increasing the costs..therefore its easier to go directly to Sheffield! Moreover I heard that at Jeppesen they use to spend time teaching the students for the ADX, and I think that I'll be able to do it by myself before going to the course.

About the work I want to search elsewhere , at the beginning I can work everywhere to achieve experience,eg outside Italy, Asia , UAE, wherever I'll find a job! It will be a constructive professional experience as well as an experience of life! In most cases here in Italy you will find a job only if you are reccomended , not to mention the salaries..

I know the battle of EUFALDA!But I don't believe that they'll reach the target , or at least not in the near present!

Hartsfield-Jackson said:
About Jeppesen, its more expensive than Sheffield and in addition if I want the faa licence I have to do a part of the course in Frankfurt and then the remaning in Denver,increasing the costs..therefore its easier to go directly to Sheffield! Moreover I heard that at Jeppesen they use to spend time teaching the students for the ADX, and I think that I'll be able to do it by myself before going to the course.

Jeppesen does incorporate topics from the ADX into the curriculum, but it's done in a way that everything you are learning is necessary for the oral & practical as well. It's actually pretty efficient and you are given Jepp tests (2-3 a week) mainly so they can see your progress and that you are ready to take the ADX. I'd say taking the tests contributes to the majority of the time actually devoted to the ADX, and I for one appreciated having those tests. Most of it is self study. (Memorization!) If you stay on top of it along the way, then they sign you off to take the written.

Hey guys Im here again asking some questions about the GLEIM's prep test book: I've just finished the SU8 and I've just started the big part about IFR flights, some of them are under part 135 and others under part 121. The book says that I might find in both tests (part 121,135) some questions about the other part. So I have started going through the IFR flights part 135 exercises but it isn't explained anything before the exercises...the book asks me to calculate the ETE filling all the blanks in the flight log but I don't know how to do that!! Next to the title of the question its written " (IFH Chap 10) " which means that I've to look at the Instrument flying handbook , but I don't have it!! I have to buy also this book? Oh my!! Or what I have to do? I've seen that also some of the IFR flights unders p.121 exercises are referred to some chapters of the IFH...

I've a "lil bit" of confusion right now, what Im supposed to do? I've to study all the computation rules and formule or what? o_O

Thanks you all in advance , I'll appreciate your help!! :)

Hartsfield-Jackson said:
Hey guys Im here again asking some questions about the GLEIM's prep test book: I've just finished the SU8 and I've just started the big part about IFR flights, some of them are under part 135 and others under part 121. The book says that I might find in both tests (part 121,135) some questions about the other part. So I have started going through the IFR flights part 135 exercises but it isn't explained anything before the exercises...the book asks me to calculate the ETE filling all the blanks in the flight log but I don't know how to do that!! Next to the title of the question its written " (IFH Chap 10) " which means that I've to look at the Instrument flying handbook , but I don't have it!! I have to buy also this book? Oh my!! Or what I have to do? I've seen that also some of the IFR flights unders p.121 exercises are referred to some chapters of the IFH...

I've a "lil bit" of confusion right now, what Im supposed to do? I've to study all the computation rules and formule or what? o_O

Thanks you all in advance , I'll appreciate your help!! :)

The only section that you DON'T have to study for the ADX is the Part 135 chapter. It's not on the test.

As to your other question, don't worry about figuring out how to do everything. Just memorize the answers. You'll learn what you need to at school... All you need to do is pass the written so memorize, memorize, memorize... :)

The only section that you DON'T have to study for the ADX is the Part 135 chapter. It's not on the test.

As to your other question, don't worry about figuring out how to do everything. Just memorize the answers. You'll learn what you need to at school... All you need to do is pass the written so memorize, memorize, memorize... :)

Thank you for the quick answer Womanpilot !! I already know that I don't have to study the part 135 , its the first thing specified in the GLEIM!

So for example if I have a question about ETE or fuel load or wind component , I have to memorize only the answer (for example a specific number) without knowing how the number its yield? In the first half of the book I have understood almost everything but now there is very much to know before answering as I can see..

Hartsfield-Jackson said:
Thank you for the quick answer Womanpilot !! I already know that I don't have to study the part 135 , its the first thing specified in the GLEIM!

So for example if I have a question about ETE or fuel load or wind component , I have to memorize only the answer (for example a specific number) without knowing how the number its yield? In the first half of the book I have understood almost everything but now there is very much to know before answering as I can see..

Yes, you are correct. However, don't make the mistake of memorizing the A, B, C or D. Memorize the actual answers, as they will NOT be in the order of the GLEIM.

Yes, you are correct. However, don't make the mistake of memorizing the A, B, C or D. Memorize the actual answers, as they will NOT be in the order of the GLEIM.
Yes of course! I think that will be very difficult to memorize only by the letter (a,b,c or d). By the way thank you! I'll go through the prep test several times and then I hope it'll be ok to pass the adx!!

Do you guys think that its better to buy the GLEIM's software to try the written several times under exam terms? Or its better to apply to Sheffield and then use their online questions bank?

Hartsfield-Jackson said:
Yes of course! I think that will be very difficult to memorize only by the letter (a,b,c or d). By the way thank you! I'll go through the prep test several times and then I hope it'll be ok to pass the adx!!

Do you guys think that its better to buy the GLEIM's software to try the written several times under exam terms? Or its better to apply to Sheffield and then use their online questions bank?

I actually preferred the software... I did not go to Sheffield but know they have whittled down the list of what you need to know. Best of luck to you!

Hartsfield-Jackson said:

Grab the GLEIM software. It will allow you to go through the questions a lot faster than referring back and forth in the book. And, if you plan to attend Sheffield, upload their question bank into the software. It will definitely help you cut down the number of questions to focus on.

Grab the GLEIM software. It will allow you to go through the questions a lot faster than referring back and forth in the book. And, if you plan to attend Sheffield, upload their question bank into the software. It will definitely help you cut down the number of questions to focus on.

Exactly , I was thinking the same thing! I have just realized that's not so practical to go back and forth to see the charts etc.

Other question! It works just downloading the software from their website right?I wish I don't have to pay the delivery and everything one more time?!

Exactly , I was thinking the same thing! I have just realized that's not so practical to go back and forth to see the charts etc.

Other question! It works just downloading the software from their website right?I wish I don't have to pay the delivery and everything one more time?!
Yep, the key is you can only download it onto I think two computers. The Gleim test-prep software made it sooooo much easier. Just set it to whatever test system the school uses and what you get is verbatim what you will see on the real thing except for the handful of "test" questions which won't count towards your 70%. Also, don't worry about the how to calculate everything, they will probably give you a cheat sheet for flight planning, etc. sections. GL!

Yep, the key is you can only download it onto I think two computers. The Gleim test-prep software made it sooooo much easier. Just set it to whatever test system the school uses and what you get is verbatim what you will see on the real thing except for the handful of "test" questions which won't count towards your 70%. You can either use the computer tables or the paper ones for your written. Also, don't worry about the how to calculate everything, they will probably give you a cheat sheet for flight planning, etc. sections. GL

Hartsfield-Jackson said:

Yes, you can download directly from the website once you have the activation code or whatever they call it. Makes it really easy! FYI - does not work on Mac's.

jose1337 said:
Yep, the key is you can only download it onto I think two computers. The Gleim test-prep software made it sooooo much easier. Just set it to whatever test system the school uses and what you get is verbatim what you will see on the real thing except for the handful of "test" questions which won't count towards your 70%. Also, don't worry about the how to calculate everything, they will probably give you a cheat sheet for flight planning, etc. sections. GL!

This is correct! But what's this about a "cheat sheet"??? I never got such a thing ;-)

Just memorize...that's all you need to do and the software makes it much easier to do so. IMO

Back