Ashamed, but I HAVE to ask

clayfenderstrat

I did all of my training at a class C airport, so I am very familiar with the clearance, ground, tower, departure, approach, tower, ground handoffs. I plan on flying to another airport that has a control tower, but it is not class C. When and what do I need to announce to the tower when I am inbound or if I want to do a touch and go? I already have my PPL, so I really hate to ask this question, but I've never been to a towered field that is not in class C.

Thanks for the help!

I did all of my training at a class C airport, so I am very familiar with the clearance, ground, tower, departure, approach, tower, ground handoffs. I plan on flying to another airport that has a control tower, but it is not class C. When and what do I need to announce to the tower when I am inbound or if I want to do a touch and go? I already have my PPL, so I really hate to ask this question, but I've never been to a towered field that is not in class C.

Thanks for the help!
Call the tower about 10 miles out and let them know you are inbound, they will tell you to enter a base or something and when you report on the base you let em know you want the option, thats it. If you stop there and then leave later you just need to call ground a treat ground like you would clearance at you home class c airport.

Class D is usually 4NM radius so good practice to contact the tower 10 NM out. Same comms as class C - your location and intentions.

"Wherever tower, N3125F 10 NM North Inbound Touch and Go with Delta"

What they said. Just remember there is almost never a reason to be ashamed to ask. It beats just shooting off with no clue.
:)

actually peter class D is 4nm wide, look it up in the far/aim

Class D sizes are all over the map, no pun intended. And the AIM doesn't give a size. It says
The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and when instrument procedures are published, the airspace will normally be designed to contain the procedures.

Class D sizes are all over the map, no pun intended. And the AIM doesn't give a size. It says
The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and when instrument procedures are published, the airspace will normally be designed to contain the procedures.
This makes the rest of this thread worth reading :)

Honestly, John, This scenario happens up here ALL the time. The nearest class D is 150 miles away in another STATE, while the nearest class C is down the street where for the winter the airplane is tied down. I'm sure that there are other places where the same geographic constraints happen. Honestly we have only had one student fly to a class D airport as a student pilot, and he is a Cirrus student that lives in New Jersey, and flew into CDW.

Now if that class D airport is say less than 100 miles from home there really isnt much excuse, and you should kick your instructors ass.

If you are training in Northern Maine and had to make a 100 mile long XC just to do your 3 landings at a towered airport, is it really necessary to make a 250 mile trip one way just to fly to a class D tower? I personally don't think so.

Check the ATIS, if it has one, for further instructions. The class D airport I work at has a TRACON as well. The tower puts on ATIS that they want aircraft to contact approach at least 10 miles out for sequencing and runway assignment.

Honestly, John, This scenario happens up here ALL the time. The nearest class D is 150 miles away in another STATE, while the nearest class C is down the street where for the winter the airplane is tied down. I'm sure that there are other places where the same geographic constraints happen. Honestly we have only had one student fly to a class D airport as a student pilot, and he is a Cirrus student that lives in New Jersey, and flew into CDW.

Now if that class D airport is say less than 100 miles from home there really isnt much excuse, and you should kick your instructors ass.

If you are training in Northern Maine and had to make a 100 mile long XC just to do your 3 landings at a towered airport, is it really necessary to make a 250 mile trip one way just to fly to a class D tower? I personally don't think so.

It's not about actually flying into a Class D airport, but having been taught about it prior to take your check ride. Heck isn't that stuff on the written? It's been a long, long, long time since I took my private written, but it's gotta at least mention class D airports.

There are lots of things I was taught, but never actually did throughout my training. I mean I've never actually canned an engine, but if I'm in any recip. twin you'd better believe it's gonna be "mixtures prop throttles gear up flaps up identify verify dead foot dead engine let's grab the checklist for this" before the guy next to me can say "####!" Not to say you should rush procedures, but as an example of there's just some stuff you need to know.

Kinda seems like your CFI shoulda covered that. If we don't get a chance to actually do it, I point to it on the sectional and have them tell me how they'd get into that airport.

If we don't get a chance to actually do it, I point to it on the sectional and have them tell me how they'd get into that airport.

That sort of knowledge doesn't stay around very long. Most likely the CFI in question did at least that, probably more. I rarely take at face value when a student says "My instructor didn't teach me that....".

The OP's question is very normal for a new pilot and we will provide a warm and nurturing environment by treating it as such. ;)

Back