Ashamed, but I HAVE to ask

The OP's question is very normal for a new pilot and we will provide a warm and nurturing environment by treating it as such. ;)

:yeahthat:

Now, for the next question...when approaching a class g airport with an operating control tower, are the procedures the same as class D? (Yes, class g towered fields do exist.)

(And yes, I do know the answer, I'm just throwing it out there for the OP)

you're talking about controlled surface areas right? They have a tendency to bring up quite a debate at my school.

Nothing wrong with asking. I was going to post a similar question in a few weeks because I'm planning on ducking under the Class B in DFW into ADS, which is a Class D and wanted some advice about the best way in.

Why duck under, when I go through Dallas Class B VFR (and I do it all the time) I find Its easier to just contact Regional Approach and let them get me through without running into anything, It can be pretty busy some days. They won't bite most days:D and are generally very friendly. Just call Reg Approach on 125.2 if you coming from the south. You can also do flight following and they will hand you off to them at the right time. Don't cross into Class B until they say "Cleared into Class B airspace", watch your altitude,(Don't ask:eek:) and watch out for the new TFR or FR (Whatever) over George W's house on the south approach of ADS it goes up to 1500 AGL

Like others have said, there is nothing wrong with asking. Besides, who here hasn't asked a silly question here before? If you say no, let me talk to one of your instructors. ;)

Nothing wrong with asking. I was going to post a similar question in a few weeks because I'm planning on ducking under the Class B in DFW into ADS, which is a Class D and wanted some advice about the best way in.

Just don't forget to talk to approach before you head into ADS. It is required.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CThomas%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Some people interpret 90-48C’s “Initiate radio contact with the appropriate terminal radar or nonradar facility when operating within the perimeters of the advertised service areas or within 15 miles of the facility when no service area is specified” as 15 miles being a suggested distance to call when flying into a class D.

Yeah, I am familiar with the shape and requirements of the class D airspace. I must point out how classy it is of everyone to jump on the bandwagon and blame my CFI or my poor test prep for not knowing what to say to the class D tower. :panic: I have never been in that position, so it is all new to me. I planned on contacting tower about 10 miles out, I just wasn't sure what information they needed.

I appreciate some of you for sticking up for a novice pilot. I am pretty inexperienced, and in no way claim to be at the top of my game. I was simply asking a question as to what I should expect to hear.

Thanks for the help (those who posted positive answers)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CThomas%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Some people interpret 90-48C’s “Initiate radio contact with the appropriate terminal radar or nonradar facility when operating within the perimeters of the advertised service areas or within 15 miles of the facility when no service area is specified” as 15 miles being a suggested distance to call when flying into a class D.

There's one Apache that comes into my airport that invariably calls up "On a 28 mile right base"

Now I'm pretty laid back and all but.... sometimes you just gotta :rolleyes:

Tower usually just says "Roger."

Now, for the next question...when approaching a class g airport with an operating control tower, are the procedures the same as class D? (Yes, class g towered fields do exist.)

(And yes, I do know the answer, I'm just throwing it out there for the OP)

Yes, I am familiar with regulations. I hope this is what you were looking for.:D

Sec. 91.126 - Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace --
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right; and
(2) Each pilot of a helicopter must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.
(c) Flap settings. Except when necessary for training or certification, the pilot in command of a civil turbojet-powered aircraft must use, as a final flap setting, the minimum certificated landing flap setting set forth in the approved performance information in the Airplane Flight Manual for the applicable conditions. However, each pilot in command has the final authority and responsibility for the safe operation of the pilot's airplane, and may use a different flap setting for that airplane if the pilot determines that it is necessary in the interest of safety. (d) Communications with control towers. Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower unless two-way radio communications are maintained between that aircraft and the control tower. Communications must be established prior to 4 nautical miles from the airport, up to and including 2,500 feet AGL. However, if the aircraft radio fails in flight, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums, visual contact with the tower is maintained, and a clearance to land is received. If the aircraft radio fails while in flight under IFR, the pilot must comply with §91.185.

There's one Apache that comes into my airport that invariably calls up "On a 28 mile right base"

Now I'm pretty laid back and all but.... sometimes you just gotta :rolleyes:

Tower usually just says "Roger."

Ha, yea, we had a few of those when I was based at KAHN. Tower would tell them to call back when they were closer.

[/quote] Sec. 91.126 - Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace --
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right; and
(2) Each pilot of a helicopter must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.
(c) Flap settings. Except when necessary for training or certification, the pilot in command of a civil turbojet-powered aircraft must use, as a final flap setting, the minimum certificated landing flap setting set forth in the approved performance information in the Airplane Flight Manual for the applicable conditions. However, each pilot in command has the final authority and responsibility for the safe operation of the pilot's airplane, and may use a different flap setting for that airplane if the pilot determines that it is necessary in the interest of safety. (d) Communications with control towers. Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower unless two-way radio communications are maintained between that aircraft and the control tower. Communications must be established prior to 4 nautical miles from the airport, up to and including 2,500 feet AGL. However, if the aircraft radio fails in flight, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums, visual contact with the tower is maintained, and a clearance to land is received. If the aircraft radio fails while in flight under IFR, the pilot must comply with §91.185.[/quote]

Also see AC 90-42F

Yeah, I am familiar with the shape and requirements of the class D airspace. I must point out how classy it is of everyone to jump on the bandwagon and blame my CFI or my poor test prep for not knowing what to say to the class D tower. :panic: I have never been in that position, so it is all new to me. I planned on contacting tower about 10 miles out, I just wasn't sure what information they needed.

I appreciate some of you for sticking up for a novice pilot. I am pretty inexperienced, and in no way claim to be at the top of my game. I was simply asking a question as to what I should expect to hear.

Thanks for the help (those who posted positive answers)
do everything you are used to. listed to the ATIS first, there is probably some sort of approach control and you can contact them first, then they will hand you off to tower.

The tower at my home airport up north tells you to "report over the prison" then enter left downwind or right base, depending on the runway in use.

The tower at my home airport up north tells you to "report over the prison" then enter left downwind or right base, depending on the runway in use.

long runway, even bigger ramp?

If so, are they going to keep the tower now that everyone's favorite flight school is gone?

Or even better "approximately 11.3 miles out"
Really? That's approximate?

i'm begining to love GPS dependence. I was training a CFI one happy day and at the end of the flight i told him to take us back to the apt. First thing he did was direct enter on the GPS. This was my first flight with this chap so the first thing I did was turn off the GPS. You should have seen the panic on his face. First I felt bad for him...then I felt sad.

He actually said at one point "how do I find my way back?"

The airport I fly out of is VERY easy to find. There is a very large geographical feature that you can see for miles and miles away near it.

The airport I fly out of is VERY easy to find. There is a very large geographical feature that you can see for miles and miles away near it.

It's gotta be Lake Hefner, right? Because there is very little elevation change in OKC. :)

Back