Ashamed, but I HAVE to ask

Or Tinker, or the stadium, or .....

Good point. He said "geographical" which made me think "natural" but you're right, it could be any of those things.

I need to do a fun-flight up to OKC. If I could get over this flu and get some money and some time and...and....

*zzzzzZZZzzzzzzz*

lol. feel better.

I wasn't trying to come off like I know more about the general area - its been over 6 years since I flew in that region. I was just listing the things I could remember that would help me find the largest city in that state...

(Although I did get lost on a solo cross country somewhere in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma...)

I like guys with GPS too. "Yeah it looks like we're uh...14.3 miles...woops...14.2 miles out."

Haha. Very funny Mr. CFI.

The last time I flew a decent XC I was coming back out of Llano. I'd swung north to let my passenger take some pics over Buchanan Lake, and then turned back SE. Center handed me off to Approach about 30 mi out.

Me: "Approach, Skyhawk 12345 level four thousand five hundred."
Approach: "Skyhawk 12345, say position."
Me: "Approach, Skyhawk 12345 is approximately 30 miles northwest of the airport."
Approach: "Skyhawk 12345, radar contact, showing you TWENTY-EIGHT miles northwest."

So I give them exact readings off the GPS now. :)

Or even better "approximately 11.3 miles out"
Really? That's approximate?

Depends on how many decimal places we're going to now, doesn't it? :D

I would rather give them that then be off by 3-4 miles.
Touche. I can't tell you how many Bonanza drivers would report like 5+ mile finals just in time for my student and I to turn a <1 mile base and notice them right off the nose...or just the opposite:

Bonanza: Yeah we're straight in on oh...looks like about a 2 mile final."
Me: OK we'll extent downwind.
[Seemingly several minutes pass]
Me: Bonanza 12345 say position.
Bonanza: Short final.
[Spot Bonanza on final still several miles out...share tearful moment reflecting on student's bill for worthless time in pattern].

Haha. Very funny Mr. CFI.

The last time I flew a decent XC I was coming back out of Llano. I'd swung north to let my passenger take some pics over Buchanan Lake, and then turned back SE. Center handed me off to Approach about 30 mi out.

Me: "Approach, Skyhawk 12345 level four thousand five hundred."
Approach: "Skyhawk 12345, say position."
Me: "Approach, Skyhawk 12345 is approximately 30 miles northwest of the airport."
Approach: "Skyhawk 12345, radar contact, showing you TWENTY-EIGHT miles northwest."

So I give them exact readings off the GPS now. :)

haha I got that one once too. Before I even had GPS.

"Executive tower 1992E 10 south landing with echo"

"1992E actually show you 11.5 south"

well OHHH KAY!:D

i really like the "depart xxxxx is with you climbing through 1,670 ft"

Grrrr......"with you"....department of redundancy department. If one is speaking on frequency, then it's obvious you're "with them"!

Holy crap. A 3 page argumentative thread on THIS.

Just tell approach control and they'll hand you off. OR call the tower directly, when you feel like it... before entering their airspace. No need to get fancy or worried about it, just tell em straight up in plain English what you want to do.

Have fun :)

One more thing... questions like this are kinda the whole point of jetcareers.com

No need to be ashamed; we should have more topics like this.

Grrrr......"with you"....department of redundancy department. If one is speaking on frequency, then it's obvious you're "with them"!
you hear it all the time up here :( i don't do it myself, but i hear it daily by 90% of the other pilots around here

Back