ASA Meeting

kdwilkes

For those of you who have kept the subject of the ASA Program alive, we had the info meeting tonight which was disappointing in my opinion. The program is beginning again, however only four students will be taken each month. They will interview up to 10 per month for the program and may select more than four during each interview session. However, only four per month will get class dates.

The other downside is the wait period after you finish the program. There was a current FO who went through the program post 9/11 and his wait was eight months to get a class date with ASA after he finsihed the program. So, during that wait time, you have to find some way to stay current and keep flying if you plan on making it through training and IOE.

Cost was not discussed, so I assume it remains at $25,000. Also, I was unclear as to how the Conditional Offer of Employment works while in the program and after its completion. Maybe Chunk can give us some insight on that one. My understanding was that even if you get the COE and complete the program, you are not guaranteed the job.

The speakers were nice, both the female captain and the male FO that spoke. The captain is the one that will be doing the inetrviews. She said you can expect anything from FAR questions to weather to general ineterview questions during the selection process. If I missed anything, maybe Chunk can fill in the gaps.

Oh BTW, the meeting was packed to say the least!

Actually, one of the reasons they are only taking four per month is so that time between Saab training and ASA indoc is minimized. Yes, Captain Ellis said that there is no "limit" per month as to who is given a COE, but only four class dates per month will be assigned. I think even that number is astounding considering the number of high-time experienced pilots on the street. I think it does speak highly for FSI's training that ASA is keeping the program alive when they clearly could pick from the HUNDREDS of resume's.

The FO that was there waited a long time because he was in the 9/11 backup. Even given that, he still has been on ASA property for 8 months. How I understood it was that they (ASA) really wants to minimize the time between Vero and Atlanta, which is good for all concerned!

Captain Ellis had nice things to say about the past Direct Track folks who are at ASA now...I guess they are working out well. One of my old pilots (navy days) flies for ASA and had good things to say about FSI guys, both x-instructors and Direct Track dudes.

It was an informative meeting, even if the Direct Track doesn't interest you. Captain Ellis gave good insight on what she expects when she interviews. Go buy 121 regs and start reading!

Personally, I hope more CFI's get picked up and student starts increase further. That's really what we all need to get us to our respective goals.

Good Luck to all regardless of the path chosen...

Chunk

PS--Good luck to FSIFLYER who is interviewing tomorrow! He needs help and luck....he's a Marine!
grin.gif

I thought the FO was a condescending jerk. "I see some of the people who started with me are still here as instructors."
Wow.

Wow, big man...FO at a regional, dropping bombs like that?! Funny man, still making less $$ than those high time instructors ...

So are the qualifications the same as before, i.e. CIME? Are they still going to call every CIME graduate from the past and ask them if they'd like to join the "pool"? I'd just like to know how they are fitting new people in with those who are complete. Did they talk about overall hiring plans? ACA did so much this year, some are saying ASA will be next. Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop guys.
grin.gif
We get info here quicker than anywhere... including marketing!!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I thought the FO was a condescending jerk. "I see some of the people who started with me are still here as instructors."
Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either the guy is what you say, or he is a bad communicator (know your audience). He might just have been trying to say there are quicker routes available and he was lucky enough to go that route.

Yes, someone asked whether the instructor-track will resume....Mr. Jay Elder fielded that one (If I remember right) and the answer was yes. Obviously it will be on needs basis, but YES!

Chunk

Yes, someone asked whether the instructor-track will resume....Mr. Jay Elder fielded that one (If I remember right) and the answer was yes. Obviously it will be on needs basis, but YES!

[/ QUOTE ]
With ~50 instructors waiting for a shot to instruct already, I'd say the need is not currently there.
frown.gif

Good luck to all of you in the program. No matter what school you're in, i am sure we all agree the bottom line is a job - a real job flying whatever a/c you love! Okay, beyond that, how about real numbers?? CAA has been visited by several FSI studentxs (current and former) looking to achieve their dream. Certainly they can't ALL be brainwashed by the super black box neutrons the marketing types wield! You owe it to your self to do your homework, ask questions, go on the tour. We will talk with you, tours are a great opportunity to talk to FI's and students. They don't limit your access. CAA has had a lot of Flight instructors go to the airliens, they haven't waited for stands class/students or class dates From my perspective, the program works, It's not perfect, but it's waaaay more successful than many! Apply yourself, hold yourself to a higher standard, STRETCH - then it will happen. .I hate to see these sad posts. As I started with, good luck to you no matter where you are.

Alright there buddy,

When we want career advice, we'll ask. Until that time (don't hold your breath), learn how to form a complete sentence and take a course in spelling. If we wanted to pay a lot of money for inferior training, there are schools a lot closer than yours!

Oh, by the way, do you work for Comair marketing? Or are you just doing them a 'favor'? Just checking....

Chunk

Chunk,
]
There was a post over in the Comair forum that caught my attention and raised a red flag-the idea that foreign students at FSI get priority for stan classes due to visa expiration times. Is there any truth to this? I'll probably be on the phone with FSI Monday anyway with other business, but this was interesting to read.

Our new guest seems to know a lot about who takes tours at Comair. What department at Comair conducts the tours?

We will talk with you, tours are a great opportunity to talk to FI's and students. They don't limit your access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it then that CAA refused to show me their planes and the respective maintenance records on them? Is it because the a/c are old and unairworthy? Or, is it because pilots use phonebooks for seats in these planes? Limited access is the only word I used to describe my tour at CAA. Not to mention the admissions office told me to quit college after I had already finished three of the four years toward my degree. They told me start training and finish the degree some other time. Go post your training and career advice in a forum that might actually care.

pscraig,

I have no idea, to be frank. I don't think there are that many here on visa...I personally only know 2. 1 is going home after he finishes SE add....says he has a turboprop job waiting for him, the other was here only for his private then went back.

Lemme know what the deal is...

You know what's funny? When I toured Comair....years ago, they told everyone in my tour group that college wasn't important and to start training immediately. I was done right then. Their marketing department does them NO favors. One of them called my friend here @ FSI and told him they'd "save his career" if he left Vero and went to SFB. BWAHAHAHA. scumbags!

Chunk

I talked to Comair let me say just a couple of things . Bad maintenance (sp) poor ethics and extremely misleading. I recieved a letter saying thank you for you interest the common thank you letter and a photo copied page that says hiring is at an all time high and expected to grow. I wish you could see this it's a good laugh. Someone pull Comair out of the cave they live in and let them know what they missed. Of course it only goes up to the year 2000. MISLEADING to people who just are not aware of what is what in the industry. I have chose to attend FSI on the 25th of November for my CFI Yippee.

I saw they threw on another CFI class 11/25. Good news! I'm looking at the schedule and wondering if the January class is going to be packed. The 11/25 class runs through Christmas, so it'll be a small class. Most will be on LOA.

Chunk

I spoke to marketing about a week ago and they indicated the January class is larger than usual. I guess I'm now part of that---I sent in my application and deposit this week....see you in Vero in January! I'm planning on driving down on New Years day at the latest.

Back