Army National Guard Warrant Officer Pilot Route

Does anyone know if the Army accepts pilots from other branches for fixed wing?

They do but with the current manning it might be tricky.

And I have no idea where to start that process. I'm assuming it would be a regular line officer to regular line officer?

Does anyone know if the Army accepts pilots from other branches for fixed wing?

They do. Go green, and just sign the contract. Then, when you show up to Ft Benning for the Infantry Officer short course, they say "what's a fixed wing? Get in line for FTX!" :)

They do but with the current manning it might be tricky.

And I have no idea where to start that process. I'm assuming it would be a regular line officer to regular line officer?

How about transfer over to fly your C-20 Gulfstreams? :)

I'm coming off an instructor tour an I have limited options if I want to stay flying. Im just trying to weigh all possibilities. I wouldn't mind flying Apaches either.

I'm coming off an instructor tour an I have limited options if I want to stay flying. Im just trying to weigh all possibilities. I wouldn't mind flying Apaches either.

Honestly your best option for fixed wing right now would probably be Guard/Reserve.

Don't bother going guard with Apaches. Active duty though that is for the active side the fleet we have to build up.

I've known guys who have done both- gone from fixed wing in one service to RW and FW in the Guard. They have a short RW transition course for FW pilots, though normally for hard headed Air Force types such as MikeD. Needs of the service, so you may find a unit willing to take you.
Also, be aware that you may have to go back as a WO1. When I reverted I became a CW2, but then they changed it to WO1, though I think you make CW2 after a year.

Last edited:
Didn't they go from the 67 directly to the C12 back in the 90s? For that matter, didn't the Army do IEFW at Hunter back in the 60's?

The Scout mission cannot be done with a robot. Skids in the dirt, blade tips whisking at the leaves, eyes outside.

What a crock. :fury:
As an old timer, O-1, Bird Dogs, U-6 Beavers, U-1 Otters, U-3, U-8, U-21, C-12, and C-23, I went through a "Q course immediately after IERW. Initial entry FW was terminated in 1974.

Back in Viet Nam that was the case. Not sure when they did away with initial FW, but I think it was in the '70s.
Everyone, even the MI types, initially have been going to RW training, then a FW course.
The award of the contract to CAE may mean the Army is considering a change to this, but I would not count on it happening overnight.
Not sure what your goals are but going to RW flight school may not be all that bad.

Back