Appalled...

There's a clause in our contract that says the company can change qualifications, but they have to be posted for 30 days prior and give the association a chance to meet with them to discuss it. Other than that, it doesn't say what the association can do about it. The insurance company probably has a lot more say on the minimum qualifications than ALPA right now.

There's a clause in our contract that says the company can change qualifications, but they have to be posted for 30 days prior and give the association a chance to meet with them to discuss it. Other than that, it doesn't say what the association can do about it. The insurance company probably has a lot more say on the minimum qualifications than ALPA right now.

And considering past history, doesn't really mean much.

And considering past history, doesn't really mean much.

Very true. Just look at the slap on the wrist they got on the scope grievance. First it was "No. The company is wrong." Curiously, a few months later it was changed to "You were wrong.....but don't do it again." Now, we've got the company using professional instructors to do recurrent rather than line check airmen, which is in direct violation of a system board grievance ruled on years ago. They tried to do the same thing then, the system board ruled against them, and now they're doing the same thing. Except this time, they're disguising recurrent PCs as "LOFTs" and saying it's different.

Basically, unless a court orders them to comply with the contract, they walk all over it. Even then, it's iffy on if they're gonna follow it.

Business aviation, 135, is much more heavily scrutinized than 121 IMO. Having spent an equal amount of time in both sectors, the fact that the FAA has oversight over 121 and 135 is one thing.... but the bizjet operators also have to conform to independent outside vendors in order to meet certain standards (depending on the clientele they wish to attract). I'm sure Zap knows who ARG/US and Wyvern are.... I'm not so sure that guys like surreal or PCL do - and that's not a slam against them. Those are just two outside auditing companies, but places like Sentient, Netjets, Delta AirElite, etc., not only use internal auditing, but these external auditing companies to help ensure that the pilots and aircraft that they get from charter companies are of the highest standards.

Yes, I'm well aware of ARG/US and Wyvern standards.

But, lets remember that those are standards created by private entities and not the federal government. To that end, they're overly ridiculous and make even well qualified pilots seem like the death nail in a coffin if a company selected him to operate their aircraft.

Yes, I'm well aware of ARG/US and Wyvern standards.

But, lets remember that those are standards created by private entities and not the federal government. To that end, they're overly ridiculous and make even well qualified pilots seem like the death nail in a coffin if a company selected him to operate their aircraft.

My point though, is that by and large, there is a THIRD party monitoring charter companies. I'm pretty sure this arose because it "used" to be that charter companies were MOSTLY fly-by-night operators with shoddy pilots, planes, and maintenance. My point is also that this standard is discussed when dispatching every flight, to ensure that the crew and aircraft dispatched are "approved" for the mission. I've yet to see an FAA inspector*, or a hard line check, or even more ridiculous, a difficult recurrent sim. Do I really want it to be "harder"? No, absolutely not! :p

I guess in the end it really comes down to how the COMPANY chooses to quality control things, and over here where I'm at, it doesn't seem like the QA is there. I've had guys tell me that 3 or 4 CA's complained about one certain individual, but nothing had been done, or will be done.

*With that said, I'm making for dang sure all my stuff is up-to-par because now that I've mentioned it, I'm almost due to see one.

FYI, I got GRILLED on my fed ride by a company check airman. My type ride wasn't exactly a walk in the park, either. Basically, when I finished training for my four stripes, I actually felt like I'd earned them and accomplished something. I had more of a sense of accomplishment passing the INTERVIEW for Pinnacle than the FO training, however.

I never felt like I was gonna have to hard core defend my job in the right seat. I've got the feeling the company and the FAA is looking over my shoulder on a daily basis and I could lose my livelihood DAILY now.

FYI, I got GRILLED on my fed ride by a company check airman. My type ride wasn't exactly a walk in the park, either. Basically, when I finished training for my four stripes, I actually felt like I'd earned them and accomplished something. I had more of a sense of accomplishment passing the INTERVIEW for Pinnacle than the FO training, however.

I never felt like I was gonna have to hard core defend my job in the right seat. I've got the feeling the company and the FAA is looking over my shoulder on a daily basis and I could lose my livelihood DAILY now.

Well they probably knew who you were :p

That's good to know. I obviously didn't mean to knock the guys that have passed the toughest training our company provides.... but when you go through transition training and the CA and FO get the same question together on the transition oral.... "what is the predominent color of this aircraft", after having beaten oneself blue in the face with new limitations, you feel a bit cheated.

Well they probably knew who you were :p

That's good to know. I obviously didn't mean to knock the guys that have passed the toughest training our company provides.... but when you go through transition training and the CA and FO get the same question together on the transition oral.... "what is the predominent color of this aircraft", after having beaten oneself blue in the face with new limitations, you feel a bit cheated.

Yeah, I can see that. I haven't gone through the transition training.....yet.

Yeah, I can see that. I haven't gone through the transition training.....yet.

If you don't want to fly, this is the base to be in. :D I've pretty much figured that out. And with 300 hours of open time and 50 reserves... for FOs, that is 6 hours per month, and they are dividing the time equally amongst the reserves so we all get our landings in.

If you don't want to fly, this is the base to be in. :D I've pretty much figured that out. And with 300 hours of open time and 50 reserves... for FOs, that is 6 hours per month, and they are dividing the time equally amongst the reserves so we all get our landings in.

You're gonna hit me for this. I'm gonna break guarantee this month.....and I had 4 days of vacation at the beginning. I'm staring at 58 hours with 4 days of RSV left. There hasn't been a RSV day yet they haven't used me. I was RRA yesterday, and they hit me with a trip that left almost at the end of my RR period. They notified my of it FIVE HOURS in advance. When I asked "You can't give this to a home RSV?" the scheduler said "You're all we've got. We've got 25 RSVs on the CA side, but they're all flying already."

You're gonna hit me for this. I'm gonna break guarantee this month.....and I had 4 days of vacation at the beginning. I'm staring at 58 hours with 4 days of RSV left. There hasn't been a RSV day yet they haven't used me. I was RRA yesterday, and they hit me with a trip that left almost at the end of my RR period. They notified my of it FIVE HOURS in advance. When I asked "You can't give this to a home RSV?" the scheduler said "You're all we've got. We've got 25 RSVs on the CA side, but they're all flying already."

Must be nice :). I'm at least the proud owner of a high speed for March, so that I did get some flying in. I do get weekends off on reserve though! Oddly enough, there is some company material floating around from Flt Ops guru MG that says that somehow the downgrades mitigated the CA shortage. I'm so confused....

When no-one wants to say anything, there's no teeth.

I agree. . .and it's been a case I made an attempt to address a few months ago.

There is no point in having a professional standards committee if they lack the spine and balls needed to actually do their taskings.

That said, it's up to us as members to require them to follow through. If not, we should then follow through with demanding our MEC's representatives heads for failing.

Must be nice :). I'm at least the proud owner of a high speed for March, so that I did get some flying in. I do get weekends off on reserve though! Oddly enough, there is some company material floating around from Flt Ops guru MG that says that somehow the downgrades mitigated the CA shortage. I'm so confused....

I'd much rather have a HS line than break guarantee. Something to be said of knowing you're actually gonna be able to go home instead of breaking out in a cold sweat when you check out.

Back