Apologies from EWR

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
In case you’ve flown into or will be flying into EWR, a fresh class of trainees from low level facilities just had their first day on the scopes yesterday working the feed and finals (120.15 and 128.55) so if you find yourself wondering wtf is going on it’s like being thrown from a C172 into a 777 for them. It’s been interesting so far. Don’t be surprised if you hear a panic stricken voice vectoring you followed by a different voice jumping in.

Just keep in mind these guys are the ones who will be making sure you get X-mas off and you get to retire. If they fail you'll likely be chained to to your scope and never allowed to leave until you die or they perfect pilot-less airplanes.

I always look forward to my NE trips. Gotta be on point.

So you're saying these guys are working the scopes?

1542859305113.png

Jetcareers is about to learn the true definition of “PANIC VECTOR!” :)

Maybe there’s some training going on in the PNW too, I had a peculiar exchange with a controller about CANPASS on frequency during a diversion to YVR a few days ago.

Jetcareers is about to learn the true definition of “PANIC VECTOR!” :)

Maybe there’s some training going on in the PNW too, I had a peculiar exchange with a controller about CANPASS on frequency during a diversion to YVR a few days ago.
Something like eh just call 800 can pass when you land.
That's been all of my unintentional forays into Canada.

Something like eh just call 800 can pass when you land.
That's been all of my unintentional forays into Canada.

I was trying to convey that I didn’t give two poops about any of that stuff as the fuel started getting skoshe waiting for SEA’s RVR to come up. Divert and worry about the techincalities on the ground as I’m sure that’s something dispatch thought about when they made it the alternate.

I’m still miffed at the extra layer of non-operational complexity they wrought on the situation.

“Do I like donuts? Of course I like donuts, but that’s not important right now...”

The guy on the left started this thread.

@NovemberEcho Realistically, will most of them make it? If they don’t, are they able to fall to a lower level facility?

This batch is all transfers from other FAA facilities. 4 of them are from low level up/downs and 1 from EWR tower but has no radar experience. Historically speaking 20% will make it. From this group there’s only 2 I really don’t know about and 3 I’m fairly confident will make it. But if they don’t make it they’ll go back to their previous facilities.

The first no-experience new hires started showing up last month but they won’t be talking to real planes for another year other than reading clearances at uncontrolled fields.

This batch is all transfers from other FAA facilities. 4 of them are from low level up/downs and 1 from EWR tower but has no radar experience. Historically speaking 20% will make it. From this group there’s only 2 I really don’t know about and 3 I’m fairly confident will make it. But if they don’t make it they’ll go back to their previous facilities.

The first no-experience new hires started showing up last month but they won’t be talking to real planes for another year other than reading clearances at uncontrolled fields.
Could you describe the process that a zero experience new hire goes through and the stages/time involved up to being fully checked out?

Could you describe the process that a zero experience new hire goes through and the stages/time involved up to being fully checked out?

It all varies facility to facility of course, but here’s the breakdown zero to hero for N90.

Step 1. The Academy in OKC. You’ll be there 4 or 5 months where they teach you useless crap and nothing you’ll actually need to know or how to do anything useful.

Step 2. When you get to N90, the first day aside from HR stuff you are given the facility airspace map. You’ll have 5 work days plus weekend to memorize it and then you’re tested. You have to score above a 90%. It looks like this

EB8195FF-3A94-4DD9-A0A7-7B557C6EDB9B.jpeg

Step 3. You’re assigned an Area. N90 has 5 areas; EWR, LGA, JFK, ISP (bunch of jokers level 12 pay level 6 traffic) and Liberty (“high” altitude departure area 10k-17k). You go to class for Flight Data/Clearance Delivery for 10 days.

Step 4. You show up on the ops floor like a deer in headlights. You learn how to pass the flight progress strips to the proper sector, give clearances to aircraft at uncontrolled airports, and a bunch of other really boring stuff. But mostly you’re just the strip bitch. No idea how long it’ll take a no experience person to get checked out on this position but most prior experience people take about a week since it’s not really any different than any where else.

Step 5. Depending on when you showed up, and how many people are in front of you, you may rot in CD/FD for 4 months to a year+ waiting for class. Classes are usually made up of 4 people but sometimes they’ll squeeze a 5th in. Now here’s where I’m a little fuzzy on the process, as they just revamped the training program here and these guys that just hit the floor are the first to go through it. It used to be you’d go to class and then the sim lab for a total of 3 months and then be done with the classroom forever. In the lab you’d run scenarios for every position in your area and have pass/fail skill checks at 50%, 75% and 90%. If you failed any of them twice you washed. Now you just go to class and run sims for 2 positions and do all your skill checks on those 2 positions. In the class you learn your Areas airspace, Standard Operating Procedures, Letters of Agreements, approaches, etc etc

(EWR airspace tail end of an arrival push landing 04R)
AAC0DDAC-38B0-4260-858A-30FDA0C26D1D.jpeg

Step 6. Whoever survives the lab (average 50-75% pass rate) starts training on the floor talking to real planes. Whenever you work your trainer is plugged in with you and can override you when you go too far down the tubes. You have minimum and maximum hours for each position for certification. When/if you certify on those two positions, you’ll go back to the class/lab for the next two and repeat.

Each Area has different amounts of positions you need to certify on to be considered a Certified Professional Controller (CPC). Pay raises in training comes at 25%, 50%, 75% positions certified and then CPC. EWR has 17 which is the most. Liberty has 5 which is the fewest. Not sure how many the others have.

Time to completely certify varies hugely person to person. Some people (like yours truly) just breeze through it and others take years. There were 2 guys who were training almost a year before I got there and certified a year after me. I don’t know what no experience people can expect as it’s been all prior experience people only until now since the 90’s. I would guesstimate that for no experience hires the average will be at least 3 years. Historically, the washout rate here averages 80% (including in the lab), so for every 100 trainees 20 certify. It remains to be seen if this new training program changes that.

Hmm. In an overlay of already rather, er, burdened airspace, this seems just the kind of place from which you want a pilot to launch with a screwed up clearance. :)

Back