Apologies from EWR

I think when I checked out on flight data at LA TRACON it was a week of classroom/observation and a week of doing the job under observation. It was so hard I felt like quitting at first. After a month I was so bored I actually wished for bad wx as a challenge or volunteered to make food runs. I didn't stick with the ATC biz but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I'd like my money back on the spacing into 22L last week. broken at 4k ish, TCAS inop, saw an airplane ahead of us and it looked tight. Voice I've never heard before clears us the normal 2500 til established on 190 heading, start descending and get absolutely rocked by a wake. Switch to tower and they tell us we're 2.7nm behind a 757 and please do we have the traffic in sight. Uh yeah of course, autopilots been off and hanging out above the glideslope, thanks for the heads up...

I'd like my money back on the spacing into 22L last week. broken at 4k ish, TCAS inop, saw an airplane ahead of us and it looked tight. Voice I've never heard before clears us the normal 2500 til established on 190 heading, start descending and get absolutely rocked by a wake. Switch to tower and they tell us we're 2.7nm behind a 757 and please do we have the traffic in sight. Uh yeah of course, autopilots been off and hanging out above the glideslope, thanks for the heads up...

According to the FAA the 757 has no wake anymore and we only need 2.5 miles at the threshold. Gets treated like any other large. But yeah 2.7 that far out won’t work.

Last edited:
According to the FAA the 757 has no wake anymore and we only need 2.5 miles at the threshold. Gets treated like any other large.
I know it magically weighs less now. Still would be nice to have a heads up of the traffic we're supposed to follow at night

yeah, he was starting to get behind and left us up at 4k a little longer than most do, with a 35kt tailwind.

I wish I could tell you it’ll get better soon, but these ones just come from smaller facilities. Just wait til the no prior experience ones hit the floor sometime next year (assuming any make it out of the lab)! Unfortunately this will probably be the new norm for the next 3-4 years.

I wish I could tell you it’ll get better soon, but these ones just come from smaller facilities. Just wait til the no prior experience ones hit the floor sometime next year (assuming any make it out of the lab)! Unfortunately this will probably be the new norm for the next 3-4 years.
haha sounds like a blast... hopefully I won't be based here this time next year

According to the FAA the 757 has no wake anymore and we only need 2.5 miles at the threshold. Gets treated like any other large. But yeah 2.7 that far out won’t work.
Isn't a small behind a 757 still 4 miles?
Or did that change for the recat facilities too?

Isn't a small behind a 757 still 4 miles?
Or did that change for the recat facilities too?

Yes. At recat large is broken into 2 categories, d and e. 757 is a d and 4 miles for small. E is your rj’s and some corporates and no wake.

is small around 44,000lbs?
That or less I believe. Some of the busier facilities are (slowly) implementing a new way to categorize airplanes called wake recat. It’s supposed to be based on more current scientific studies/evidence. The new categories are A-I. A being super, b and c being upper and lower heavies. D is non pair heavy (not enough data to fit in b or c. E is for 757 only, f and g are upper and lower large jets. H and I are upper and lower small.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
That or less I believe. Some of the busier facilities are (slowly) implementing a new way to categorize airplanes called wake recat. It’s supposed to be based on more current scientific studies/evidence. The new categories are A-I. A being super, b and c being upper and lower heavies. D is non pair heavy (not enough data to fit in b or c. E is for 757 only, f and g are upper and lower large jets. H and I are upper and lower small.
That looks nothing like our wake recat requirements will currently have at ATL. If they seriously want a MD88 (D) and a MD88 (D), as they are currently classified in our wake recat, to be 4 in trail, Delta Air Lines better start getting used to a delay program.

That looks nothing like our wake recat requirements will currently have at ATL. If they seriously want a MD88 (D) and a MD88 (D), as they are currently classified in our wake recat, to be 4 in trail, Delta Air Lines better start getting used to a delay program.

You require extra spacing with a D behind a D?

We are:

B behind B: 3 miles
C behind B: 4 miles
D/E behind B: 5 miles
F behind B: 7 miles

B behind C: 2.5
C behind C: 2.5
D/E behind C: 3.5
F behind C: 5 miles

D/E behind D/E: 2.5
F behind D: 4 miles
F behind E: 2.5

I don’t remember A becaus we don’t get A380’s into EWR

Last edited:
You require extra spacing with a D behind a D?

We are:

B behind B: 3 miles
C behind B: 4 miles
D/E behind B: 5 miles
F behind B: 7 miles

B behind C: 2.5
C behind C: 2.5
D/E behind C: 3.5
F behind C: 5 miles

D/E behind D/E: 2.5
F behind D: 4 miles
F behind E: 2.5

I don’t remember A becaus we don’t get A380’s into EWR
We have the same as you guys at N90. I’m just saying that if the posted image was our wake requirements, Delta would get massive delays. The A and A is minimum radar separation.

Back