AOPA Layoffs - CAPCON Killed

ComplexHiAv8r

Anyone else see this. Sad day for GA.

http://aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=a584691e-2cbe-4799-bb0f-f3cfbd7ec560

Fri, Oct 18, 2013

Thursday, Bloody Thursday.... Serious AOPA Layoffs Confirmed
Adam Smith, Other VPs Let Go, CAPCOM Killed, Other Programs Reportedly On Chopping Block
On the heels of what many called a truly lackluster final AOPA Summit, the axe has fallen at 421 Aviation Way... and the result is that at least a dozen AOPA staffers, many high-ranking VPs and what were thought to be critical personnel have been shown the door.

With little or no warning, Mark Baker's new AOPA has decided to clean house -- with a bulldozer... and in the process, some very experienced and highly regarded staffers are looking for work. Chief among those whose termination shocked us, here at ANN, was Adam Smith -- one of the most uncommonly principled guys in the biz and the leader for much of the more positive agenda programs (one that we actually liked) that managed to come out of the Fuller-version of AOPA.

This makes me sad. Thanks for posting, I didn't see that yet...AOPA has treated me very well. I believe they are truly fighting to better, if not save, the GA world. I still love flying GA, so struggles like these worry me.

Interesting - I interviewed for a position there many years ago doing stat research for their safety programs. Was a dream job for sure, but couldn't convince the wife to move to Maryland.

All in all, I actually think it's a good strategy. I'm curious if some of this was driven by "market share loss" to EAA which does exactly what AOPA is aiming to do - focus on grassroots events/mobilization. Maybe we'll see local AOPA chapters pop up. I was hoping to go to them for funding for the Children's Museum's aviation exhibit - maybe a local group would be easier to work with.

On a sad note, however, they're fighting to save a dying industry (the piston GA side anyways). I thought it was interesting that the comment posted suggested AOPA wasn't meeting the needs of RC pilots. Maybe that's a good group to throw their umbrella over.

I am indifferent. AOPA is vital to GA lobbying and awareness efforts, but beyond that I have had no use for nor identity with the organization. I hope new guy cleans things up and focuses on a serious core agenda.

The website is now down.... I Agree with you, and I REALLY like wine..

How do you know it isn't a money maker for them? Working in market research, it doesn't strike me as an inherently bad idea. Perhaps they looked at their demographic - affluent, conservative married men in their 50s-60s, and then did some research to find out what type of brand/product synergy existed for this demographic. They must have calculated some penetration (giggidy) rate that would allow them to profit off the program, and evaluated whether or not the program was hitting that target. If that's the case, I would applaud their outside the box thinking in terms of alternative revenue sourcing. Colleges do the same thing with financial product marketing to alumni who, on average, are likely to make more money than the population at large.

Thu, Mar 31, 2011 AOPA Quietly Corks Wine Club

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=2028d091-8166-44c6-9719-9dbe638b6a1b

from what I have read members started stating this club as the final reason they were leaving AOPA.

Interesting - worth a shot, though, in my opinion. Personally, I don't get the whole "I won't have alcohol anywhere near an airplane!" argument, or this whole association thing. What, do you not have a home that you sometimes go to at which you enjoy adult beverages? It's not like they were requiring you to carry it around in your plane. Dumb reasoning really. I guess we should prohibit GA airport restaurants from serving alcohol.

How do you know it isn't a money maker for them?

I don't get the whole "I won't have alcohol anywhere near an airplane!" argument, or this whole association thing.

To me, I could care less if they make money doing it and the fact that it is alcohol has nothing to do with it. It's just trashy low class marketing of some totally unrelated crap in order to pump up some petty funds.

Need money for an initiative? Fine, then ask for it and let it stand or fall on its own... dont peddle some gimmicky junk so you can pull a small commission.

It's like kids needing to sell some piece of junk for their sports booster program. Just ask for the money, and if I can get behind your cause (and no I cannot say Yes to everyone), then I will... but I really dont want your stale processed popcorn tin so you can earn 20% of the $40 I have to spend to "support" you.

To me, I could care less if they make money doing it and the fact that it is alcohol has nothing to do with it. It's just trashy low class marketing of some totally unrelated crap in order to pump up some petty funds.

Need money for an initiative? Fine, then ask for it and let it stand or fall on its own... dont peddle some gimmicky junk so you can pull a small commission.

It's like kids needing to sell some piece of junk for their sports booster program. Just ask for the money, and if I can get behind your cause (and no I cannot say Yes to everyone), then I will... but I really dont want your stale processed popcorn tin so you can earn 20% of the $40 I have to spend to "support" you.

Interesting - I'm the opposite. I'd rather hand a kid $10 and let him do a horrible job of washing my car then to give him $10 for standing outside a grocery store with his teammates and asking for it. Insert some Ron Swanson quote here about work ethic, being a man, giving someone a fish, etc.

I think AOPA's problem is that they thought they were a social club, which can get away from this. For instance, a church could do something like a jelly of the month club and it's ok because it's a social group, everyone's close, etc. Hell, I bet even a close knit EAA chapter could pull off the wine club. But rolling it out to a national organization of people who are entirely unconnected didn't cut it apparently.

I always enjoy having the high school cheerleaders wash my car. They don't enjoy me wacking off while they're earning their $10.

7omA5au.gif

Sooooo, people were feebin' that Fuller got AOPA all catewhumpus, and now people are complaining that someone is trying to do something different?

What did I miss? Oh, yea, pilots complaining. Never mind....carry on.

Richman

Back