Anyone working or worked at HNL?

ohioaviator

Just looking for advise from anyone who has worked or is working at HNL. I'm considering applying to an internal bid so I'd love to hear what the day-to-day operation is like. I'm also curious how difficult the transition would be coming from a level 12 ARTCC. Any info is appreciated.

I'm sure its a different ballgame, but my friend is at Maui. I can put you in touch if you feel it would assist you. LMK

Thanks guys. So do you live out their ppragman? Where are some good places to live and which schools could you recommend?

All I know is I hated getting cleared for any instrument approaches because they never liked how I read them back!

As for living there it takes a bit of getting used to compared to the mainland. Housing and energy costs are expensive but I didn't find groceries being too bad. If I ever get hired back there to fly I'd be looking at the windward side to live on.

Are you looking for schools for your kids to go to? My wife worked in the school system while we were there.

Yea we've got two little ones. Our oldest is just starting school and our youngest has a few more years before she starts kindergarten. My two biggest concerns are schools/daycare for them and housing. Not so much the cost of housing but more where to get a good value without too far a commute.

Yea we've got two little ones. Our oldest is just starting school and our youngest has a few more years before she starts kindergarten. My two biggest concerns are schools/daycare for them and housing. Not so much the cost of housing but more where to get a good value without too far a commute.
The public school system is about as bad as it could be. They might be OK the first few years in public school but I would be saving up for private school. Of course Punahou is one of the best places to go but tuition is $20k+ a year. There are other options that aren't as expensive but do a great job.

Housing on the island is pretty expensive except for places out west like Waianae which would not be a place to go to. Anywhere on the island can have a commute unless you live in Salt Lake across from the airport. I lived in Waikiki 8 miles away and I would usually be in an hour or more of traffic. Some places to check out would be Kailua/Lani Kai, Hawaii Kai, Kaneohe on the windward side and I flew with a lot of people that lived up in Makakilo that enjoyed it. Kapolei is about as far west as I would go and it starts to get pretty hot on that part of the leeward side. More to the middle of the island we looked at Mililani. Look closely when looking to buy because there is a huge amount of leasehold properties instead of fee simple.

Median housing price is around $700,000 now. You can find good rental deals but it can take a bit of luck and timing. Public school system is a mess. There are a few good schools out there but it seems to change all the time. Private schools are expensive and very competitive to get in to. Food is about 10% to 30% more, depending on how you eat.

As far as ATC goes, like @ppragman I'm on the other side of the radio, but it's mostly pretty laid back. It does feel like things get a little out of hand when we get bad weather, but that's rare.

Back