Anyone still carry a Wiz Wheel?

I often get strange looks when I pull out the old CR-5 and even get the occasional "what is that?"

I really like the CR-style over the E6B. More compact and no parts to slide out and get lost in the rudder pedals. I keep my CR-5 in my flight bag but rarely use it.

It's incredibly accurate and 7 x 9 is still 36...! Hell No! Wait... :D:D:D

The answer I'm getting is 6.3. Wait! 630. Or is it 6300? No, I got it now. 7 x 9 = 1:10!

6462l.jpg

and for the ladies out there, we cannot forget the Lady J adapter.....

6471m.jpg

If I had a nickel for every time I saw a 20 degree pitch deviation while a students tried to calculate something on an electronic e6b I would be slightly more wealthy.

I have an e6b in the side pocket of my kneeboard it's very useful on cross countries.

The electronic ones take longer and a mistake means you have to start over and you can't use them one handed unless you leave it on your kneeboard while looking down. The students who find the e6b hard to use are usually not very good at anything.

The students who find the e6b hard to use are usually not very good at anything.

Guess that means in your book I'm a real crappy stick, since I never bothered to learn how to use one.

Like I give a crap if I never learned to use the equivalent of something that was phased out when my dad was still in grad school -- a slide rule.

Guess that means in your book I'm a real crappy stick, since I never bothered to learn how to use one.

Like I give a crap if I never learned to use the equivalent of something that was phased out when my dad was still in grad school -- a slide rule.
I'm convinced you have a mental problem because when I say something like "students who have a hard time with it aren't very good at anything" you turn it into "every pilot who doesn't use the e6b is bad". I hope you can see why those 2 statements do not mean the same thing.

It took me all of 10 minutes to learn how to use it. It's certainly old technology but now I don't have to blow 50 bucks on a flight computer.

One of our stage checks was to do a X-C flight diversion. Went through a check list to find all the information such as fuel, time en-route, true heading, ect. ect. I would've shot myself if I had to figure it out with a wiz wheel. Electronic E6B was amazing. Click click click, wriite it down ground speed. Then it remembers the number, so click click and write down the fuel! I just don't see a manual one being faster than someone knowing how to use a electronic one, because it's type type type boom number.

Misinterpret much?

You seem pretty intelligent, I'm sure if you cared to learn the wiz wheel you could figure out the basics in 10 minutes or less. There's a slight difference between being incapable of learning something and not caring enough because the information is irrelevant.

If someone is mentally incapable of using something as simple as the E6B...well, the average airplane is going to baffle them.

Back