Anyone still carry a Wiz Wheel?

smig

I have always carried one form of flight computer or another out of necessity. When I was an FO, I would make tailwind calculations to determine which runways we could use before we even started the engines. A few years ago, before all of our airplanes had Rnav, I could get accurate ETA's. Even now we still don't have Vnav in most of our airplanes, but and old wiz wheel makes a quick Vnav calculator for those of us who struggle with mental math.

It has dawned on me that nobody I fly with carries any type of flight computer. I often get strange looks when I pull out the old CR-5 and even get the occasional "what is that?"

Am I the only one left who feels the comfort of having a wiz wheel nearby as a realiable standby?

I have always carried one form of flight computer or another out of necessity. When I was an FO, I would make tailwind calculations to determine which runways we could use before we even started the engines. A few years ago, before all of our airplanes had Rnav, I could get accurate ETA's. Even now we still don't have Vnav in most of our airplanes, but and old wiz wheel makes a quick Vnav calculator for those of us who struggle with mental math.

It has dawned on me that nobody I fly with carries any type of flight computer. I often get strange looks when I pull out the old CR-5 and even get the occasional "what is that?"

Am I the only one left who feels the comfort of having a wiz wheel nearby as a realiable standby?
I carry a whiz wheel and calculator in my flight bag. Never had to use the whiz wheel. I have pulled out the calculator to speed up manual w&b stuff, and the occasional wind problem.

Mental math! Rule of 60, I bring an E6B when I wear my nice watch. In fact, I don't even know what the CR-5 looks like, mind posting a pic?

I've wondered if you would be boo'd out of a 121 cockpit:)sarcasm:) upon bringing out an E6-b.

For personal flying I use the wheel mostly to stay proficient, and cross check my mental math/calculator work. My electronic flight computer has been in the bottom of a box in a closet for years...

I still carry one of those large, geriatric ones. I used to have an electronic one, but I broke it over the head of a student. Not a problem with the large metal one.

I carry one on X-C type sorties, but we make the students actually train with it, so.... kinda helps to HAVE one!

I still carry one of those large, geriatric ones. I used to have an electronic one, but I broke it over the head of a student. Not a problem with the large metal one.
I can't count the times I've felt like doing that....

I carry a whiz wheel on every flight. It has come in handy on more than one occasion. When I was an instructor I made sure that all of my students were proficient at basic use of the whiz wheel.

I personally like using one. I never have to worry about the batteries dying or the screen going dead. I am still amazed at that little piece of cardboard can do.

In fact, I don't even know what the CR-5 looks like, mind posting a pic?

Here is a CR-5. It is only about 3.5" in diameter. I think they stopped making this version but you can still get the two larger versions of this computer which are called the CR-2 and CR-3.

cr-5.jpg

I used to work at a big electronic store. One time an older CA walked in with his uniform on. He proceeded to buy literally the cheapest calculator we had. That's all you need along with the FMS.

Back