Anyone still carry a Wiz Wheel?

To be honest, I would have to read the book just to learn how to work one of them.

No worries! I am working the "guess wheel" into my CFI ground training. Using the manual all the time.
Yesterday I sat there for the 79th time - Jeppesen Book in hand - trying to make it 'do tricks'. Then, suddenly it worked and I sat there in amazement about this stupid, smart old mans toy. It's incredibly accurate and 7 x 9 is still 36...! Hell No! Wait... :D:D:D

It surely beats my Sporty's "empty battery" E6B and the Jepp Flight Blahhh (which has a tiny little plastic piece travel inside of it, ever since I dropped it) ain't working either.

No worries! I am working the "guess wheel" into my CFI ground training. Using the manual all the time.
Yesterday I sat there for the 79th time - Jeppesen Book in hand - trying to make it 'do tricks'. Then, suddenly it worked and I sat there in amazement about this stupid, smart old mans toy. It's incredibly accurate and 7 x 9 is still 36...! Hell No! Wait... :D:D:D

It surely beats my Sporty's "empty battery" E6B and the Jepp Flight Blahhh (which has a tiny little plastic piece travel inside of it, ever since I dropped it) ain't working either.
I should probably get one. Me and my Baron don't really need major flight planing needs. I always have at least 3 hours of gas and fly the same dang route M-F unless a plane breaks or something special has to happen. It's much more compact and better overall for a cockpit IMHO. Oh well though. Another item for the Xmas list, yup that's right, I would be happy if I got that for Xmas.

I lost the directions to mine. Does anyone have the link to download them. I have been striking out. I have the Jepp CR style.

Ive had the same solar powered calculator for probably 10yrs. Works well at night, too. It's just now starting to need replacement. That and a tad of mental math is more than enough.

I don't carry one on the 'bus, but I still keep one in my flightsuit for flying the Herc. I only use it when I'm bored. I've had one in my lower pocket since 1997. It just feels right.

I should probably get one. Me and my Baron don't really need major flight planing needs. I always have at least 3 hours of gas and fly the same dang route M-F unless a plane breaks or something special has to happen. It's much more compact and better overall for a cockpit IMHO. Oh well though. Another item for the Xmas list, yup that's right, I would be happy if I got that for Xmas.

You can have mine.:D

I prefer my whiz-box

FMS6000.jpg

Am I the only one left who feels the comfort of having a wiz wheel nearby as a realiable standby?

I never learned how to use one. I used an electronic one and that worked just fine. Nobody cared about how I got the information I needed to get. What they cared about was that I got it.

It was kind of funny. When I was asked by an old, grizzled instructor to compute something and I broke out the electronic version, he spent the next ten minutes saying, whoa, let me try that.

I'll have to be honest, I've used one for the first half of my private check-ride. From then on I got an electric one and have used it ever since. Even through my CFI training. My examiners never cared either. I honestly probably have no idea how to work one anymore.

Honestly I don't even own one. They are kind of neat and impress the non flying friends when you break out a big piece of metal covered and numbers and dazzle them with such important calculations like gallons to imperial gallons, and what the true airspeed of their honda is.

Really there is a reason people don't use slider rules anymore. Electronic devices are so much easier to operate and user friendly. Ok ok so the batteries may die. I can't really think of ANY situation where not having a flight computer on a properly planned cross country flight is going to lead to anything more than a slight annoyance. For sure not going to make the plane explode or fall from the sky.

I've used the electronic ones and they are nice however, I've already been through two Jepp ones....Anyone else ever have problems with the Jepp ones?

You know, most of the time I'm faster on the whiz wheel than my students are with the calculator or the electronic E6B.

Back