Anyone else a bit scared of ATC becoming fully contracted?

airkiwi

First off I'm still new to the FAA, but now at the academy. But the more I talk to instructors, other students, and read around the internet it seems that there's indicators all around that ATC is moving towards being subsidized. I realize that the NATCA is in place in part for this reason, although I'm not going to pretend to understand what they are and the full scope of their function.

Anyone have insight into this? Bobby Sturgell talked at the academy last week, and when this question sort of came up i'm sure a lot heard his answer - "This is a business. And it's about running a business as efficiently as possible."

Re: Anyone else a bit scared of ATC becoming fully contracte

I'm afraid of user fees which will seem to go hand in hand with privatization. Thats about it.

Doesn't scare me as long as there is accountability. It amazes me how differently contract towers operate. I've seen more I'm-moody-and-there's-nothing-you-can-do-about-it attitudes at contract towers. Other than that, money needs to come from somewhere. Someone needs to pay for it. As long as there's accountability...

it would raise my pay.... :banghead:

ooh, i highly doubt that. maybe if your at a level 5 or something on the white book. other than that it would be a major pay DECREASE for controllers if it went private and got contracted out. plus, the manning DECREASE will show in the services provided at big airports, approach controls, and centers.

just my $.02

Newish Level 5 tower guy here.... i hate my life, lol

Were you listening to sturgell last week? Cause aparantly not. He went into a good bit of detail with how the future for atc will remain in good hands with technological upgrades and other countries joining the FAA in modernization of the air traffic system. The fact rathyeon is contracted out under a current contract to train 17,000 new atc'ers over the next 10 years I think would show you theres some dedication there in taking a step forward. Unless you were one of the few cti kids with your nose in the air. Im pretty sure most of us got a positive message from the q and a.

He was asking whether air traffic controllers would become obsolete, with consolidation of Flight Service Stations, and his answer was in line with technology and how the FAA is a business. That implication was not a positive to 'of course you'll have jobs', he was saying that if the government can find a better way to do things (read: contract actual ATC out to someone like Raytheon) then they'll do it. He was positive on most things; but tried to be very sly about answering that actual question.

Privatized ATC is working out just great everywhere they've done it.

Isn't it?

Yeah if you don't mind fee-for-service ATC.

I don't think I understand the opinion that the FAA is a business. From my viewpoint it is a Public Safety Service. How many Police or Fire Departments are referred to as businesses?

Hey, maybe they should privatize the Army. That sounds like a good idea.

I don't think I understand the opinion that the FAA is a business. From my viewpoint it is a Public Safety Service. How many Police or Fire Departments are referred to as businesses?

Hey, maybe they should privatize the Army. That sounds like a good idea.

100% agree

minus the barack peeing on america avatar. :rawk:

And just what do you think B. will do with your Glock J L ?

And just what do you think B. will do with your Glock J L ?

apparently/hopefully nothing since he plans on only taking aw automatic weapons and hunting calibers...needless to say i have at least 17 guns that are in jeopardy. but, B MIGHT hook up my pay, so....

this will be the fist time voting dem because of my numerous guns and my pro-2nd ammendment stand

p.s. what the F is hunting calibers. i know i hunt with at least half of my guns based on calibers.

plan to get another AR-15 before B takes them away.

They have already privatized the FAA to some degree. Maybe they should stop now with both.

apparently/hopefully nothing since he plans on only taking aw automatic weapons and hunting calibers...needless to say i have at least 17 guns that are in jeopardy. but, B MIGHT hook up my pay, so....

this will be the fist time voting dem because of my numerous guns and my pro-2nd ammendment stand

p.s. what the F is hunting calibers. i know i hunt with at least half of my guns based on calibers.

plan to get another AR-15 before B takes them away.

17!!!! sweet what kinda arsenal you sportin' JL?

and what is that hunting calibers thing???? take away hunting calibers? or letting everyone keep only hunting calibers?

the whole thing doesnt make sense.

Back