Anyone else a bit scared of ATC becoming fully contracted?

Re: Anyone else a bit scared of ATC becoming fully contracte

mmm.....higher pay with lockheed compared to the FAA.....yes no govt benefits, but you have company benifits, and company options including promotions through the company.
yes you are no longer layoff proof, BUT as a new hire you already know that, as an existing employee you had the option of stayin in the FAA as something else if you wanted to.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but if you layout of the pro/cons it has ben better off for both the employee now and the customer.

the AFSS was in the basement with no modernatzation and way underused prior to LM tookover. within 3 years Lockheed has came out with a syste, that took the FAA over 50 years to try to modernize.
now they didnt do everything right, but ill take a privitized AFSS over the old FAA AFSS anyday

If you honestly believe that employees are better off working for Lockmart vs. the Gov't than our conversation is over...

The full Gov't benefit package offered to federal workers cannot be matched by any other employer... especially Lockheed. Lockheed employees are always applying to the FAA and every single one of them will tell you that Lockheed is not as good as an employer as the Gov't is... I'm not saying Lockheed is bad, but Uncle Sam IS better...

:yeahthat: agreed....my last day was last Friday and although I enjoyed working with my colleagues (we were bought by Lockheed in 2005) I could not get out of the door fast enough...they suck. So many people have left and the corporation goes through more re-organizations and changes in the charts than you can shake a stick at yet they maintain that "we never forget who we work for" could not be further from the truth

While we can go back and forth with opinions until the cows come home, I posted this information in response to your following comments regarding the privatization of air traffic control:

With the recent Victory by Obama privatization will not happen... not under his watch. Expect Obama to declare ATC inherently governmental shortly after taking office. Clinton did the same thing after he took office, Bush undid it sometime around 2003.

For the most part the Republican's are big on consolidating and contracting ATC

The two of us could debate this for quite some time and while it would be fun I think we would bore everyone. I think we'll agree to disagree on some issues.

I stand by my original statement *(minus the Clinton time line). I was addressing the issues of the past several years where I have been directly involved with NATCA's legislative efforts. Based on what I have been involved with Bush on his own could really care less about ATC and privatization... what has happened is he has enabled a small group in the Republican party to start things down the privatization path, one main person being John Mica. They are being courted by many in the private sector such as the major airlines (the President of DAL talked about privatization just the other day) and contractors such as Boeing and Lockheed who see dollar signs in running ATC.

For all Federal workers, especially ATC, we are much better off under Obama, McCain has never been a friend to NATCA or ATC.

The day I get privatized is the day I quit. Corporations will do anything for a buck, while pretending that they care about you.

The two of us could debate this for quite some time and while it would be fun I think we would bore everyone. I think we'll agree to disagree on some issues.

I stand by my original statement *(minus the Clinton time line). I was addressing the issues of the past several years where I have been directly involved with NATCA's legislative efforts. Based on what I have been involved with Bush on his own could really care less about ATC and privatization... what has happened is he has enabled a small group in the Republican party to start things down the privatization path, one main person being John Mica. They are being courted by many in the private sector such as the major airlines (the President of DAL talked about privatization just the other day) and contractors such as Boeing and Lockheed who see dollar signs in running ATC.

For all Federal workers, especially ATC, we are much better off under Obama, McCain has never been a friend to NATCA or ATC.

I agree with you that we are much better off under Obama than McCain (for reasons that are too many to list and would bore people as well).

That being said, my interjection into this thread wasn't intended to sway opinions or pit one party/candidate against the other. It was to put information out there regarding our history in privatization so people could form sound opinions.

Too much in this surrounding this election Obama has been cast as the answer to all of our problems. Will we be better off? Yes, I think so. But, history has shown us we still have a lot of work to do...it did not end once we stepped out of the voting booth.

Don't even get me started on Mica...I'll end up getting kicked off this board ;)

Does anyone think Obama will cut spending,if so will it have an affect on hiring new ATC ?

Nota political statement : but how else can you support tax cuts for 95% of Americans? Somethings gotta give, right?.................. right?

Then again - the new hire plan is pretty well laid out for the next few years. It appears that if they dont stick to it in some form, they will get buried by the retirements and new hire turnover.

Nota political statement : but how else can you support tax cuts for 95% of Americans? Somethings gotta give, right?.................. right?

Then again - the new hire plan is pretty well laid out for the next few years. It appears that if they dont stick to it in some form, they will get buried by the retirements and new hire turnover.
Common misconception. The tax cuts actually INCREASE the government's revenue. It stimulates the economy, which in turn allows for people to work more and generate more income to be taxed.

Absolutely correct - I firmly agree with that .... in the long term though -

On a single yearly budget I dont think that increased revenue can be accounted for.

(then again...I am not an accountant!)

Absolutely correct - I firmly agree with that .... in the long term though -

On a single yearly budget I dont think that increased revenue can be accounted for.

(then again...I am not an accountant!)
True. But the budget for FY09 has already been signed by Bush so nothing's gonna happen anytime soon anyways.

Also true -

only time will tell I guess

Too much in this surrounding this election Obama has been cast as the answer to all of our problems. Will we be better off? Yes, I think so. But, history has shown us we still have a lot of work to do...it did not end once we stepped out of the voting booth.

I wish more members understood things this way. Some people have gotten it in their head that Obama will fix our problem with one sweep of the pen, while this is possible in theory, and don't get me wrong it would be nice, I feel it is unlikely. The big thing that I feel he will do is restore fair collective bargaining rights to ALL labor organizations. There is already indication that he will allow the airport screeners to organize which to me is a very good sign. I think Obama has the potential to be the most progressive President for labor since FDR... time will tell.

TripSix... good post.

Does anyone think Obama will cut spending,if so will it have an affect on hiring new ATC ?

The last few days the NY Times has had numerous articles relating to Obama and the economy. One thing I found interesting was that many of Obama's economic advisers are recommending deficit spending, the same that was done during the great depression.

The FAA will have to continue to hire, maybe not in huge numbers but I can't see them going into a total prolonged hiring freeze...

The FAA has already signed a $500 million contract with Raytheon to help train ATCs... what exactly would they be using the money for? I'm still trying to figure out how they would allocate it.

Why is to be feared in a privatized ATC system?

Not worried since Obama and Biden got in (very pro ATC) and they've made visits to alot of union meetings asking us what we wanted and on the top of their list to do for ATC within the first 120 days is to make us permenant government employees so that we will never have to fear someone like McCains coming in to privatize us like they did with the FSSs.

Back