Any runners out there??????

Finished a 23 mile run yesterday, been training for a 30mi run in Snohomish, WA this weekend. I'm getting pretty used to eating a pre-dinner before going over to friends houses to eat dinner.

Dang, and I was happy with my 7 mile run yesterday...

Ran 1,100 last year...185 in October (I think).

Back down to about 50 a month for the winter and looking forward to ramping it back up.

Finished a 23 mile run yesterday, been training for a 30mi run in Snohomish, WA this weekend. I'm getting pretty used to eating a pre-dinner before going over to friends houses to eat dinner.
Thats why I'm having to work out, I just love food...I'm learning to eat better and be hungry a lot. :)

Hot damn, Forrest! :)

I get all cocksure after 12KM!

I was talking to a friend the other day how it took everything I had in me to get 8 miles 6 years ago. Been increasing it for a bit, a friend and i did a 75 mile portion of the pct in two days two years back. I suppose there are worse addictions ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat/drink when training for a marathon so you don't cramp on the long runs? I run with a camelbak but when I ran my marathon I had horrible leg cramps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat/drink when training for a marathon so you don't cramp on the long runs? I run with a camelbak but when I ran my marathon I had horrible leg cramps.

As a disclaimer, I typically don't have leg cramp issues, myself, but on the rare occasion, I get them for two reasons. One is just a precursor to injury. I'm going out too hard and my legs are not happy. That usually doesn't occur for me on long runs because I'm not at the top end of my speed, anyway. The other reason for me is basic dehydration. I'm not a doctor or trainer but for me, hydration seems to be more than 50% post workout. In other words, I need to get most of my hydration after a workout. After that, it's a matter of keeping up with normal activities. If I cramp up from dehydration during a workout, it could be because I either did not post hydrate well the day before and/or didn't keep it up or I lost so much during the current workout that my body is starting to warn me to take it easy. I typically don't have hydration issues, anyway, but that's what it would be if I cramped up. But once it happens, it has a dramatic effect on performance, so get plenty of fluids in you post workout after the workout before your long run and keep it up until the evening prior. Taper a bit before you go to bed so you're not up all night running to the bathroom. By the evening before, your cells have passed the period of time they are accepting into their extended range tanks, anyway so if you keep drinking a ton, you're just going to be using the bathroom a lot. If this doesn't help, maybe someone else'll chime in with something.

As a disclaimer, I typically don't have leg cramp issues, myself, but on the rare occasion, I get them for two reasons. One is just a precursor to injury. I'm going out too hard and my legs are not happy. That usually doesn't occur for me on long runs because I'm not at the top end of my speed, anyway. The other reason for me is basic dehydration. I'm not a doctor or trainer but for me, hydration seems to be more than 50% post workout. In other words, I need to get most of my hydration after a workout. After that, it's a matter of keeping up with normal activities. If I cramp up from dehydration during a workout, it could be because I either did not post hydrate well the day before and/or didn't keep it up or I lost so much during the current workout that my body is starting to warn me to take it easy. I typically don't have hydration issues, anyway, but that's what it would be if I cramped up. But once it happens, it has a dramatic effect on performance, so get plenty of fluids in you post workout after the workout before your long run and keep it up until the evening prior. Taper a bit before you go to bed so you're not up all night running to the bathroom. By the evening before, your cells have passed the period of time they are accepting into their extended range tanks, anyway so if you keep drinking a ton, you're just going to be using the bathroom a lot. If this doesn't help, maybe someone else'll chime in with something.
Thanks! I knew that post hydration was a good thing but never thought of it that way.

I'll second what falconvalley says. I've had a number of issues in the past that could have been avoided just by eating and drinking properly before, during and after a run. The right kind of food and proper amount, at this point in the game you switch from loosing weight to trying to maintain it. Ramping up hydration a couple days before a race helps quite a bit and making sure your muscles have the proper materials to rebuild themselves afterwards is huge. You can stretch all you want but if your muscles don't have the cache of resources they need they'll find a way to let you know. After that for me, I hit a point in the distance game that yoga level stretching helps immensely. I still won't wear the stupid yoga pants though ;)

Paleo Diet. Hard to stick with, but you'll feel better and perform better.

Basics of Paleo are no starches and dairies, and a whole lot of fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, and proteins, and broken up into 5-7 meals a day.

Try it for a week, along with plenty of water.

Old adage: Drink before you are thirsty. Good info.

Bananas are the miracle food for preventing cramps. Eat one an hour before your run and then put one in a high vitamin shake after your run. Should solve your problem overnight if combined with proper hydration as others have stated. Also try jump roping before you stretch and then go run. Also stretch after. Good luck.

10k on Sunday was a last minute disaster. I was on pace for breaking the 1:10 minutes time until the 4th mile when the heat and high humidity won. I finished at around 1:15. maybe next time for my PR.......

Back