Any runners out there??????

What Garmin do you all use? I think I am ready to finally make that move from the Nike+ GPS watch. Do the ones you happen to have alert you when you aren't on pace?

I have the Garmin Epix. It's designed to be a backpacking/hiking watch and is kind of big, but you can still pair it with other Garmin products like the heart-rate monitor. Plus, I really like that it has a moving map display.

Ended up going with the 230. Debated about getting the Fenix, but it came down to size. The 230 was a bit smaller, but it seems like I have to settle on a running watch being gigantic on my tiny wrist. I wish they could figure out a way to make it just a little less obvious. One of the reasons I like my Fitbit so much is that it's not in your face that I am wearing one. :)

Anyone have a story to share on how you became a runner for the first time or started again? I haven't been able to call myself even a 'casual jogger' in many years and desire to start again. On my days off I mainly ride bikes (duh if you know me), hike & snowboard which keeps me in decent enough shape but I really want to start running on overnights to complete my weekly goals. I lost some fitness with the job transition last year so it's time to step it up and keep going.

A little worried about overdoing it to start and I know it's wise walk/run/walk/run slowly stepping it up over time. Have a new pair of Brooks that fit great now just need a plan and commitment.

Anyone have a story to share on how you became a runner for the first time or started again? I haven't been able to call myself even a 'casual jogger' in many years and desire to start again. On my days off I mainly ride bikes (duh if you know me), hike & snowboard which keeps me in decent enough shape but I really want to start running on overnights to complete my weekly goals. I lost some fitness with the job transition last year so it's time to step it up and keep going.

A little worried about overdoing it to start and I know it's wise walk/run/walk/run slowly stepping it up over time. Have a new pair of Brooks that fit great now just need a plan and commitment.

Definitely listen to your body, because running injuries from overdoing it can suck. My advice to you is to come up with a goal...not just running each night, but set something bigger like a Marathon or Half Marathon. Follow a training plan. Personally, I always liked Hal Higdon's paired with Jeff Galloway's intervals. I like plans focused on distance instead of time, because obviously, five miles is five miles, but your distance will vary with thirty minutes.

The only reason I started running was because I had the bright idea to start working on a bucket list and saw an ad for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. It seemed bucket list worthy, and a good excuse to go to Disney. ;)

I had always hated running and because I have a shortened Achilles tendon on my left foot, it wasn't easy for me and doctors often discouraged that type of activity because they felt it was too difficult on my body. So, I guess the motivation was overcoming those obstacles. I ran (which my definition of running also includes run/walk and speed walking) my first Half Marathon at Disney, then was enticed by a shiny medal to run the Disneyland Half the same year to get the bonus third medal for the coast to coast challenge. I thought I was done but they had to release the Marathon medal which looked so cool, and I started to think a Marathon would be a much more worthy goal to have. So, next thing I knew, I had completed a Marathon and two Half Marathons.

People talk about catching a running bug, and I definitely did because there is something about achieving something that seemed so out of reach in the beginning. I don't do it for fun, or for exercise really. I do it for goals. I set a goal for a race and I do everything I can to achieve it. I am never going to run because I just feel like it. I went from three races that first year, to three additional Marathons and 32 Half Marathons the next year, then 10 Half Marathons the year after that. I have just dabbled ever since, mostly running local races and I pace a Half Marathon up north in April, but I have definitely curbed back. For a while there, I made goals for specific races. Disney is okay, but you will find some of the most inconsiderate and ill prepared runners ever there and they have gotten so crowded. I personally found the Marine Corps Marathon and Air Force Marathons to be pretty awesome, but there are so many races out there to choose from that fit an interest or cause that means something. A lot of runners aim for getting a qualifying time to run the Boston Marathon, some target running in every state. It is one of those few sports where anyone can do it, no matter the disability, if you are skinny, far from it, old, young, super fast or not so fast, it is for everyone. I have met so many great people through this "hobby" and visited places I would have never thought about because they just happened to have a race that worked for a weekend I had free. This is my favorite training program. He has an app, too, but this is free! :D

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Oh, and one side note, if you do start running races, set up an Athlinks profile. It keeps track of all of your races for free, and provides another layer of motivation. :)

I'm guessing you're still fit and have a pretty good vo2 max from cycling, it'll be just about getting the running muscles built up without overuse injuries. Nothing you probably don't know, start with fairly short runs with frequent rest days. Know the difference between good hurt and injury hurt and dial it back a bit for the bad kind of pain. Ramp up distance and pace as comfortable. Won't take too long and you'll be signing up for a race or two which can be a great motivator. For some real fun sign up for an obstacle race. There's a spartan race in co springs in may and also in breck I believe in June.

Great thing with running, perfect for travel with such little gear. Shoes, shorts and shirt and you're ready to go.

I hate that guy. So tempted to just go through the next person who, without warning just randomly starts walking in front of me in a race.

Let me guess, that happened at Disney? I only have really experienced that during their races. If I am going to walk, I first make sure no one is around me, put up my hand to signal I'm stopping and yell that I am as soon as I get to the far right. Never pissed anyone off. But, the amount of Disney runners who have done that quick stop right in front of me whether because of his program, or they want their picture with some character is so frequent, that I don't like their races anymore. I've never seen so many injured runners in one race. It's stupid.

Let me guess, that happened at Disney? I only have really experienced that during their races. If I am going to walk, I first make sure no one is around me, put up my hand to signal I'm stopping and yell that I am as soon as I get to the far right. Never pissed anyone off. But, the amount of Disney runners who have done that quick stop right in front of me whether because of his program, or they want their picture with some character is so frequent, that I don't like their races anymore. I've never seen so many injured runners in one race. It's stupid.

Some rock n roll as well. Smaller more local races have a lot less of that, or at least have a low enough density you don't notice it. But run Disney also promotes his training programs, which can't help.

I came into running from cycling, and I struggled with constant injuries. When you have good cardiovascular fitness, it's very easy to overdo it. What eventually worked for me was getting some maximal cushioned shoes and taking it very very very easy. Like ridiculously slow. Over time I've transitioned to less cushioned shoes and have run the last 18 months injury free, including a marathon and a trail 50K. It just takes time for tendons and joints to harden. Unlike cycling, overdoing it on a single run can result in a week (or more) longer injury.

The initial appeal of running for me was getting a good workout in less time vs cycling, but I find that I'm spending just as much time running. It is way cheaper than cycling and not having to wrench on things is nice. I do miss the rhythm and effortless speed of cycling from time to time.

Ran the Star Wars races in Orlando this weekend. Way too humid for me.

33408435174_4dddfd33e4_k.jpg

Ran the Star Wars races in Orlando this weekend. Way too humid for me.

33408435174_4dddfd33e4_k.jpg

I'd say you have quite the collection! Great job! They used to have the Expedition Everest 5K obstacle course race before Star Wars took its place. That humidity is killer this time of year, but hope you got to enjoy the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Did you like the courses?

I'd say you have quite the collection! Great job! They used to have the Expedition Everest 5K obstacle course race before Star Wars took its place. That humidity is killer this time of year, but hope you got to enjoy the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Did you like the courses?

The course were disappointing. A lot of back roads connecting parks, very little in the parks. Except for the 5k, which was all in Epcot. Humidity was brutal, I was much slower than I was in cali, I'm not acclimated to that at all. I enjoyed it (except for the half, I just survived that) but I don't think I'll do anymore in Florida.

The course were disappointing. A lot of back roads connecting parks, very little in the parks. Except for the 5k, which was all in Epcot. Humidity was brutal, I was much slower than I was in cali, I'm not acclimated to that at all. I enjoyed it (except for the half, I just survived that) but I don't think I'll do anymore in Florida.

I think the courses are a lot more boring at WDW. Wine & Dine is cool because it's at night and you get the festival to yourself. Most of the courses in CA are outside of the parks and you get a lot more crowd support.

I think the courses are a lot more boring at WDW. Wine & Dine is cool because it's at night and you get the festival to yourself. Most of the courses in CA are outside of the parks and you get a lot more crowd support.

Someone told me they switched wine and dine to a day race now.

It did amuse me bringing my kids through the park on Sunday to see people wearing their 5k finisher medal, from Friday.

Someone told me they switched wine and dine to a day race now.

It did amuse me bringing my kids through the park on Sunday to see people wearing their 5k finisher medal, from Friday.

It's the rule!! You have to wear your medals for a good week in the park. :D I broke that rule a lot. Those medals are too heavy to wear long and the ribbons are itchy. Plus, it wasn't like you got special ride privileges. It's a huge accomplishment for a ton of people, so kudos to them. I just don't get that feeling anymore...

You are right. Not a night race anymore. Guess enough people got injuries to stop the fun. It was so cool. Glad I got to run it when it was amazing.

Back