afwolf130

I just graduated from college with a degree in Aviation flight science. I have my Commercial SEL and MEL with instrument rating and hope to have my Commercial SES with instrument rating within the next couple weeks.

I currently have 296 TT, 205 SEL, 13 SES, 78 MEL, 45 Cross Country, 56 Instrument, and 100 PIC.I currently live in the Northern Indiana, lower Michigan region, but am more than willing to move or travel for work.

Due to too many student loans and no viable income, I cannot get financial aid to get my CFI licenses and I haven't received any scholarships. I am looking for any job, anywhere, that does not require too many hours. I am a motivated military veteran willing to move, travel, work long hours, weekends and holidays. Any job information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you're willing to work on the road for several months you might want to get in touch with some Picto survey vendors. Ground Imaging is located in Indiana and you can email Doug, dgourley@williamsaerial.com The pay's not great, but if they have any openings left still you could have 900+ hours come June.

There's also Jav Imagery which pays better, is new too and was looking for pilots recently. https://www.linkedin.com/in/dylan-skirko-b6394655

That said you're a bit late to get hired on with most vendors as they just started their 7 month season, but it's worth a shot if you can apply asap. The other companies are Landcare (possibly have an opening or two) Landvue.com, Skylens.com, AirAmericaFc.com and Sandhillsaviation.com. You can read up on what it's like to be a picto pilot here and email in some resumes.

That said there's company that flies freight in the Shorts. http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/shorts-360-cargo-first-officer-500tt-multiple-bases.240231/ They'll hire with less than 500TT and have a few bases in the midwest including in Indiana which might be perfect for you. I know they're looking for captains soon. I'd get a hold of one of the pilots for them, CJKelly42 and see if maybe he could pass your resume along.

Sandhills is probably your best bet around 250 hrs TT and located in the Midwest. I use to work for Sandhills (new Picto vendor in Lincoln, NE) briefly. They were always hiring as of July/Aug 2016 and the company was expanding their fleet of 172s for next season. I would send the DO, Steve, your resume. He's big on pilot commitment through the whole season and being on the road - I expect him to ask you this in the phone interview. They flew pilots via passenger jet into Lincoln to start/continue the season and I wouldn't worry about living in Lincoln; although its a great city, you will be sent ALL over the country. I never had an issue with equipment or getting stuff repaired - just know the stuff they fly is a bit old and you wont get the bells and whistle. Since its a newer business starting off .... the pay and per diem will be at the lower end compared to all other Picto vendors. When the company started last year, they hired wet commercial (250 hrs) pilots. Lots of independence; you will get paired with a seasoned pilot on projects as a new guy. Just be safe and make good judgements - you will have no issues. So, put in your time doing one season of Picto and walk over to Williams when you are done.

Last edited:
If you're willing to work on the road for several months you might want to get in touch with some Picto survey vendors. Ground Imaging is located in Indiana and you can email Doug, dgourley@williamsaerial.com The pay's not great, but if they have any openings left still you could have 900+ hours come June.

There's also Jav Imagery which pays better, is new too and was looking for pilots recently. https://www.linkedin.com/in/dylan-skirko-b6394655

That said you're a bit late to get hired on with most vendors as they just started their 7 month season, but it's worth a shot if you can apply asap. The other companies are Landcare (possibly have an opening or two) Landvue.com, Skylens.com, AirAmericaFc.com and Sandhillsaviation.com. You can read up on what it's like to be a picto pilot here and email in some resumes.

That said there's company that flies freight in the Shorts. http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/shorts-360-cargo-first-officer-500tt-multiple-bases.240231/ They'll hire with less than 500TT and have a few bases in the midwest including in Indiana which might be perfect for you. I know they're looking for captains soon. I'd get a hold of one of the pilots for them, CJKelly42 and see if maybe he could pass your resume along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the help. I already put in an application with Williams but had not heard of the others. I will apply immediately.

Sandhills is probably your best bet around 250 hrs TT and located in the Midwest. I use to work for Sandhills (new Picto vendor in Lincoln, NE) briefly. They were always hiring as of July/Aug 2016 and the company was expanding their fleet of 172s for next season. I would send the DO, Steve, your resume. He's big on pilot commitment through the whole season and being on the road - I expect him to ask you this in the phone interview. They flew pilots via passenger jet into Lincoln to start/continue the season and I wouldn't worry about living in Lincoln; although its a great city, you will be sent ALL over the country. I never had an issue with equipment or getting stuff repaired - just know the stuff they fly is a bit old and you wont get the bells and whistle. Since its a newer business starting off .... the pay and per diem will be at the lower end compared to all other Picto vendors. When the company started last year, they hired wet commercial (250 hrs) pilots. Lots of independence; you will get paired with a seasoned pilot on projects as a new guy. Just be safe and make good judgements - you will have no issues. So, put in your time doing one season of Picto and walk over to Williams when you are done.

Thanks alot. I will definitely put in for them. I lived in NE for a few years while I was in the military so I know the area.

I just graduated from college with a degree in Aviation flight science. I have my Commercial SEL and MEL with instrument rating and hope to have my Commercial SES with instrument rating within the next couple weeks.

I currently have 296 TT, 205 SEL, 13 SES, 78 MEL, 45 Cross Country, 56 Instrument, and 100 PIC.I currently live in the Northern Indiana, lower Michigan region, but am more than willing to move or travel for work.

Due to too many student loans and no viable income, I cannot get financial aid to get my CFI licenses and I haven't received any scholarships. I am looking for any job, anywhere, that does not require too many hours. I am a motivated military veteran willing to move, travel, work long hours, weekends and holidays. Any job information is greatly appreciated.

Aerial survey- Picto operators as others have said. SkyLens, Sandhills, Air America.

Unfortunately you are about 2 months late in the hiring cycle. Keep checking in on this site, since they often hire replacement pilots during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If done correctly the CFI should be the cheapest one you get, it's almost entirely self-study

in theory, but with DPEs costing around $500 a pop, if you can go and rent an airplane, with instructor, actually teach and perform all the required maneuvers to proficiency in 2-3 flights for the other $500 then more power to that person. Totally depends on the student, how proficient they are, and if you can get an airplane/instructor for a good deal.

You can afford a SES Rating but not your CFI ticket?
My SES was $1000, but everywhere I look that has quality CFI training is quoting $5000-7000. I could probably find it cheaper, but most places want you to do it at a quality school if they are looking to hire you.

My point is you could have spent or put that $1000 towards your CFI rating instead of a "fun" rating like SES. Getting your CFI anywhere is going to open a huge amount of opportunities for you professionally. Especially if you are mobile, you will not have any trouble finding a good job if you have your CFI ticket. I would save your $$$ and find a Part 141 mom and pop place to get your instructor rating while still using your GI Bill. Just my advice.

With the demand for CFIs these days, a CFI rating will pay for itself very quickly and then some. If you can find the right place to instruct you can easily make more money than most low hour pilot jobs, which will take the burden off SES rating.

I wish folks would try this: take the FOI and BGI tests, then launch a ground school. At many places, CFIs just don't have time to teach in a classroom format that enables group learning.

Repeat until you have funds to be a CFI.

and hope to have my Commercial SES with instrument rating within the next couple weeks.

You should be able to get a CFI cert for about the price of that seaplane rating. (Ride will most likely be free with the Feds anyway, DPE fee was the most expensive part of it for me). Return on investment is much better. You'll make back the cost of getting the rating in a few weeks at most.

My SES was $1000, but everywhere I look that has quality CFI training is quoting $5000-7000. I could probably find it cheaper, but most places want you to do it at a quality school if they are looking to hire you.

No one cares where you went for CFI training. Really. Have never met anyone that cared, and I've been flying for a while.

Since you all say to get the cfi, can you tell me of an affordable school that can do the training in a complex aircraft since that is what the FAA requires? I am not finding any. All the schools I have talked to want me to get the mei first since it is a complex aircraft, then add on the cfi and cfii in non-complex aircraft. I may be able to swing one license, but I cannot afford all three right now.

And I do not want to do cfii first and teach ground school as the point is to be able to earn flight hours faster. Teaching ground school for a couple years while trying to afford cfi while not flying defeats the purpose. Do any of you have school recommendations? Or would it be best to get mei and just do that without the cfi?

And I do not want to do cfii first and teach ground school as the point is to be able to earn flight hours faster. Teaching ground school for a couple years while trying to afford cfi while not flying defeats the purpose. Do any of you have school recommendations? Or would it be best to get mei and just do that without the cfi?

You're not ready.

To be a good CFI, you should actually exhibit the desire to teach vice build hours faster.

If you want hours, move to Florida and drop jumpers until summer hits. Try dropzone.com

You could apply to Boutique. You'll upgrade right at 1200TT. Not a bad step for a first airline job.

Back