Another unresponsive plane over the Atlantic-TBM 700

Simple solutions are the best ones. Detecting a cabin pressure loss and having the autopilot react to that makes more sense. And, in fact, as I learned this week, has been developed and deployed on many aircraft for a long time.

And that's the kind of thinking I was looking for too. Solutions. I didn't know such a system existed and that's nice to know.

Although it's too late for pilot and crew of Payne Stewart's plane or Larry & Jane Glazer, it's nice to know that something is being done or has been done to address the problem.

Will NTSB conduct an investigation for this US-originating flight that crashed off the Jamaican coast?

I would be willing to bet that it would cost at least 10x to develop what you're talking about vs. the payouts on loss of life claims.

Be realistic. Simple solutions are the best ones. Detecting a cabin pressure loss and having the autopilot react to that makes more sense. And, in fact, as I learned this week, has been developed and deployed on many aircraft for a long time.
Yes, but as I said in the other thread about the G450/550 specifically, the EDM mode is only entered under certain circumstances. FL390 or below, there's no activation. Flying with the autopilot off, no activation. Flying over the Alps, and you could meet cumulogranite (it auto descends to 15,000'), but that is not the fault of the system...just very tall rocks. An airplane sitting at 8 O'clock, and you're going to get into noise abatement issues as you have metal meeting metal (90* left turn is automatic). It's definitely better than nothing, but hopefully it will be improved as time goes on.

Yes, but as I said in the other thread about the G450/550 specifically, the EDM mode is only entered under certain circumstances. FL390 or below, there's no activation. Flying with the autopilot off, no activation. Flying over the Alps, and you could meet cumulogranite (it auto descends to 15,000'), but that is not the fault of the system...just very tall rocks. An airplane sitting at 8 O'clock, and you're going to get into noise abatement issues as you have metal meeting metal (90* left turn is automatic). It's definitely better than nothing, but hopefully it will be improved as time goes on.

Yup. There are different variants of the system you described, too, right?

I imagine the systems will get smarter as time goes on.

Yup. There are different variants of the system you described, too, right?

I imagine the systems will get smarter as time goes on.
I don't remember who, but somebody in the other thread had said Falcons have a similar system. I do not know the peculiarities of that system, or others out there.

Back